AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, the pain and anguish I have been in is over. I purchased a new HDTV this weekend. I dont recall ever having this much trouble deciding on what to buy.

I have gone back and forth at least 1000 times. I thought I wanted the Sony 34XBR. Then i moved on to the KV-36HS500. From there I started looking at the 42-43" WS RPTV. Next up was the 38" RCA which I might have purchased if it wasnt the JX3. That set is now on sale for 1411.00 by the way. I had nearly decided to just wait a while longer.

Well, this weekend Electronics Express had a very good sale on the KV-36HS500 on sale and that is the set that i chose.

I really knew that a 4:3 direct view set made the most sense for me at this time. I love the widescreen look and that kept making my decision harder. In the end, I know i made the right decision for me.

The set will be delivered on Wed and I cant wait. I appreciate all the input from this forum. It was certainly very helpful for me. I didnt know anything about HD sets other than I knew i wanted one. After a while here, I knew more about the sets than the people selling them. Thanks again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Congrats cycy2 --

I'm where you were a few days ago ... itchy to pull the trigger but unsure what do to ...

I'm actually looking at the sony 36" as well.

Curious - do you have digital cable ? and if so, in what city ...

let us know how it goes on Wednesday ...

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
It's too bad that you suffered stress over spending some money for a HDTV,. I had no problem forking out $2999 for my F-38310 JX4 in June of 2001. I did my homework then I went and bought the set, I have been very happy with it since. I recorded the 9-11 stuff on digital channels onto to Vhs tape which when played, my line doubler ups the 240 lines of Standard Play VHS to 480i lines.

Until the broadcast I have with the 2 frenchmen capturing the 2 actual jet hits of both trade centers goes on disc. I have the vhs played with a line doubler isn't shabby at all. It was by nextel who had 3 small commercial breaks I put the pause on instant record, to get rid of the nextel spam. I pay $38.67 a month for my Digital choice of of sectv.com which includes all HBO & Cinemax pay channels. :)

I don't let stress harm me not over a few thousand dollars, which is only 2 nights in a average hospital(at $1500 a night) these days! My 2001 F-38310 now has 14,193 hours(just checked) on the Odometer of the HDTV, 14,000 hours of happy viewing. I have a 5 year warranty, so no stress or pain for me. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a search looking for some of the tweaks that people have used for this set. I didnt find anything but seem to remember seeing a thread like this before.

Anyone have a list of settings they have adjusted or a link to a past thread about this.

thanks.

Hob, I was not stressed in the least about spending the money. I knew what my budget was and have had the money saved up for a while. The stress came from deciding what set to buy.

Now it must be nice to be you. Maybe you can just upgrade sets every few years. This set will have to last me for a while.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cycy2
Finally, the pain and anguish I have been in is over. I purchased a new HDTV this weekend. I dont recall ever having this much trouble deciding on what to buy.

Now you are in for more "pain and aguish".

Phase 1: Criticism for what you bought and for it being a 4:3 -- ignore all that!

Phase 2: Finding and worring about all the little imperfections in picture quality -- and what to do about it in Service Menu land. Harder to ignore :)

Fortunately you can get good advice here re Phase 2.

Enjoy the new set!

Phil

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Phil.

I wont worry about getting any heat for buying a 4:3 set. Its not like i went in blind and made an uninformed decision. I did all the research I could and in the end made the decision that best fit my needs.

After weighing on the pros and cons, the 4:3 set was the best choice for me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the set all hooked up yesterday. I am even more impressed with the set now that its home.

I didnt really know what to expect from my satellite reception. I have heard a lot of people complain that the picture is actually worse.

Some programs did look pretty bad. My wife was watching Designing Women and you could see a slight blur around their faces. You can also see some jaggies on numbers and letters. This is most obvious on the satellites info menu. Not a big deal at all.

For the most part, however, the picture is actually quite a bit better. Not really anything to make you say wow but it is better. The colors are much more detailed.

Also, I only changed a few things in the menu but have made no real adjustments to the set. Every setting is still factory setting. I think I changed from vivid to normal and think i set it to Cinemotion.

I put in Attack of the Clones to test out a DVD All I can say is Oh My Freaking Goodness. It was like looking into a mirror. I cant even think of the words to describe the picture quality. My jaw hit the floor.

I was not using a progressive scan player either. In fact, I was using my PS2. It was so good, Im not sure i could tell tell the difference anyway.

Games also looked great on the set. No doubt about it. This set is a keeper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.