AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Guys/Gals you own a new Panasonic TV and are loving it very much. Lets here about those superior black levels and that excellant PQ. Feel free to post the model and why you chose that particular model over others.

I am very happy with my TC-P46-S1 and would never consider another manufactor especially with pioneer out of the playing field. I chose the S1 because it provided excellant value and was the perfect size for my living space.

Black levels rising that actually effects the PQ. My answer to that is "Psuedoscience." Many of us already know Panasonic plasma is the future of plasma and will continue to be so for years to come.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have a 58v10 with 1100 hours and blacks levels are excellent and have remained the same since day 1. The 96hz works flawlessly and my THX is spot on.

On a side note, You know people with issues are going to start going nuts with this title.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpresner /forum/post/18141296

On a side note, You know people with issues are going to start going nuts with this title.

Agreed, but that's part of life.

I have a 46" G15 with over 2700 hours on it (June Build) and have had the THX fix as well as the Scan-board fix, both done by a Panasonic tech.

Here's hoping the trend continues for my tv.

·
Registered
714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Highlander /forum/post/18141327

Agreed, but that's part of life.

I have a 46" G15 with over 2700 hours on it (June Build) and have had the THX fix as well as the Scan-board fix, both done by a Panasonic tech.

Here's hoping the trend continues for my tv.

no i understand its part of life but there are threads for issues on here.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've owned a tc42g10 for about 6 months now and absolutely love it. First plasma i've ever owned and will never go back to LCD because of this tv. I can hardly wait for the new 65 inch vt25. So far, I have not noticed any change (for the worse) with my g10. Its only gotten better at about 600hrs...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I guess this sums it up pretty well:

1. The "Model" you have.

Panasonic Viera TC-P50S14

2. What convinced you to purchase this particular "Model".

Price, and picture quality. $980 for a 50", 1080p Panasonic plasma is a great deal, especially if you consider that none of the LCDs in its price range come even remotely close to the Panasonic's picture quality, and to even begin to match it you'd have to spend like double its price on an LED-lit LCD.

3. What you like best about your Plasma.

The picture. I made my move from an older 27" CRT, and the difference is mind-blowing.

4. What you don't like about your Plasma.

Umm... Glare? It's not really an issue in my living room though. I don't know what else - I'm extremely satisfied with this TV. I do worry a little about the whole rising black levels issue. Time will tell.

5. What "Feature(s)" you wish your Plasma had.

Couple more inches of real estate, though 50" is huge in its own right.

I guess I wish it had more HDMi ports on the back, there's two there (along with two component inputs) and one more on the side, and wish I had three on the back in exchange for of one of the component ins.

Just nitpicking really, I can still hook up to in any device I will own in the foreseeable future.

6. What advice or suggestion would you make to the "Manufacture" about your Plasma.

Put proper and detailed plasma break-in instructions in the manual.

7. What was your biggest "Surprise" after you received your Plasma.

The picture. Virtually all of my past experiences with HD material have been limited to LCD viewing, and one of the first things I popped in after unpacking the TV was Planet Earth on Bluray. I'm sure you can imagine how low my jaw dropped.

8. What "Problems or Issues" have you had with your Plasma.

None, so far.

Biggest worry is burn-in, but I'm pretty sure Im being careful enough about that. No more than 30 minutes of the same channel, game, or non-16:9 aspect ratio for the first two to three weeks.

I'm also concerned about the rising blacks issue, though I don't seem to be hearing much about this problem from the S1/S14 crowd. I'm wondering if it's because the S1/S14 aren't as affected, or because not to many S1/S14 owners know about AVS forums, or this problem.

Again, time will tell.

9. Do you really think that todays "Prices" are worth it.

$980 for this?? hell yes, I think it's worth it. Would I love to see the prices plummet by 90%? Of course, but that doesn't mean this TV isn't a superb choice.

10. Any additional information that you want to add is encouraged.

A few pictures:

($50 Ikea bias lighting - balling on a budget)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Just got a 50" X1 720p set for the living room, at our seating distance of 10 feet there's not much advantage having 1080p and you just cannot beat the current price of this TV

So far i Love it and having owned 3 different 1080p LCD's i'm not sure why anyone would put an LCD in their living room/theater room unless reflections are of major concern. this plasma simply blows me away every time i watch a blu ray on it

As for the rising black level issue. I'm not sure it will matter much to me. the blacks are good on my plasma but they are not as good as i expected in a completely dark room. still though much better than normal LCD's and i love the fact that black/dark images always stay the same no matter where you view the TV from. that is something LCD cannot do ever

I was curious though to see what the black levels might look like after a year of heavy use so i went to my local fry's store and checked out the black levels on a handful of their panasonic plasmas. keep in mind my local frys is not like most stores, the TV's are not in a sun room bright environment. its more like your house with ambient light on at night time. the black levels looked more or less the same as my brand new plasma and i checked their hour counters in the service menu and they all had 3300-3400 hours on them so the black level rise must have happened to them

·
Registered
106 Posts
U have around 200 hours on my new 50" S1 and my picture is absolutely gorgeous. I will be taking some pictures later tonight and posting them. By the way, Tomash, very pretty picture!! I am in no way worried or threatened by this black level rising issue. I read about it and read about it until I made myself sick!! I decided to get off the computer and go enjoy my badass plasma. Its nice to see others doing the same.

By the way, there will no doubt be people coming in this thread trying to flame and destroy the thread. two of these guys are Fortytwoinch and Robi1138. As you can see, they already destroyed another thread just like this started by Factor. If these guys come in, please try to ignore them, as hard as it may be.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have a 50S1. About 460 hours. Still looks good.

Just got back from watching Sherlock Holmes in the theatre. The movie was very dark. Every scene was black. Not once did I see a "true" black that matched the "bezel" of the theater screen. They were all washed out gray.

Looking forward to seeing the deep blacks in the movie on my Panasonic when it is released on bluray.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I like that bias lighting; I'd like to hear more about it, or see a picture of the actual fixture - we don't have an IKEA anywhere handy.

As to my input, the 58S1 is my second flatscreen. I had a 54G10 for a couple weeks, but traded up in size and down in price for the 58S1. I really notice the extra 4 inches, it's the perfect size for our viewing area. Pound for pound it could not be beat.

Liked the picture so much that I was compelled to upgrade the sound with a PSB image 5.1 setup shortly after getting her up and dialed in. Using Droids 35ftl settings - my factory presets were also very close to his, and the picture is just spectacular, especially with consistent source input like games and BD, or some (very few) dish network HD channels.

My blacks (around 700 hours in now, just checked) are all over the place, depending on the source material. Period. The bars can be very black, or approaching dark charcoal gray, depending on the media. The fact that it still produces the dark dark black in any circumstance tells me that it is working the way it is supposed to. Which is all anyone can ask.

Before I'm confused with a constant optimist, I'm worse. I'm not a cup half full guy. Nor am I cup half empty. In this nasty, mean world, I'm just happy to have a cup. This is an outlook that serves me very well when I am sanguine enough to sustain it.

It is an attitude that I encourage everyone to cultivate. Especially some of the folks here at AVS.

·
Registered
106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedcaum /forum/post/18142623

I like that bias lighting; I'd like to hear more about it, or see a picture of the actual fixture - we don't have an IKEA anywhere handy.

As to my input, the 58S1 is my second flatscreen. I had a 54G10 for a couple weeks, but traded up in size and down in price for the 58S1. I really notice the extra 4 inches, it's the perfect size for our viewing area. Pound for pound it could not be beat.

Liked the picture so much that I was compelled to upgrade the sound with a PSB image 5.1 setup shortly after getting her up and dialed in. Using Droids 35ftl settings - my factory presets were also very close to his, and the picture is just spectacular, especially with consistent source input like games and BD, or some (very few) dish network HD channels.

My blacks (around 700 hours in now, just checked) are all over the place, depending on the source material. Period. The bars can be very black, or approaching dark charcoal gray, depending on the media. The fact that it still produces the dark dark black in any circumstance tells me that it is working the way it is supposed to. Which is all anyone can ask.

Before I'm confused with a constant optimist, I'm worse. I'm not a cup half full guy. Nor am I cup half empty. In this nasty, mean world, I'm just happy to have a cup. This is an outlook that serves me very well when I am sanguine enough to sustain it.

It is an attitude that I encourage everyone to cultivate. Especially some of the folks here at AVS.

Well put man
And I think that was a good move going to the S1, cuz you got 4 more inches for less money, and didnt compromise much picture quality, if any at all, did ya?

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Panny tc-p65v10 im very very happy with its pq and with inky blacks its amazing almost 100 hours logged and bought it jan 29 10 and it has a oct 09 build date.

·
Registered
420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor /forum/post/18144135

Panny tc-p65v10 im very very happy with its pq and with inky blacks its amazing almost 100 hours logged and bought it jan 29 09 oct 09 build date.

I think you meant January 29, 2010, right? Kind of impossible to buy something before the build date

Anyhow, my contribution to the thread: Took delivery of my 54V10 on January 8, 2010. It has an October 2009 build date and I have had it professionally calibrated by an ISF/THX certified calibrator. I never stray from THX mode now. Inky blacks, no THX color issues. There is about 90 hours on the set now. Keeping my fingers crossed that none of the issues talked about on the other threads will affect me down the road.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillspace /forum/post/18144196

I think you meant January 29, 2010, right? Kind of impossible to buy something before the build date

Anyhow, my contribution to the thread: Took delivery of my 54V10 on January 8, 2010. It has an October 2009 build date and I have had it professionally calibrated by an ISF/THX certified calibrator. I never stray from THX mode now. Inky blacks, no THX color issues. There is about 90 hours on the set now. Keeping my fingers crossed that none of the issues talked about on the other threads will affect me down the road.

Thanks
Its corrected now lol and congrats and glad your happy as am I
I should be having mine calibrated within the next week or so . Cant wait even though it looks great now cant imagine any improvements .

·
Registered
107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise /forum/post/18143423

Well put man
And I think that was a good move going to the S1, cuz you got 4 more inches for less money, and didnt compromise much picture quality, if any at all, did ya?

Nah, I don't think so. I loved THX mode when I had it, and was kind of dissappointed in the PQ of the comparable Cinema mode on the S1 for a minute. I was also worried that I would miss the 24p playback, as I was one of the lucky ones who was completely untroubled by the flicker that so many others seem horrified by. It just looked like a real movie to me.

I have looked and looked for judder with 3:2 pulldown on the S1, but I just can't see it. Pans look nice and smooth to me. I do notice a little skippy skip with titles, but wtf do I care about titles? Certainly not enough to pay $500 more so they're silky smooth on a smaller tv.

The colors definitely weren't as good out of the box on the S1. A lot more inaccuracy and push of certain shades. But then I poor-man-calibrated it, and could not be happier now. Cinema warm with offsets all the time, never move it - except maybe football with dad, and then either normal, cool, or Standard mode does the trick. Great picture for the money, IMO.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedcaum /forum/post/18144283

Nah, I don't think so. I loved THX mode when I had it, and was kind of dissappointed in the PQ of the comparable Cinema mode on the S1 for a minute. I was also worried that I would miss the 24p playback, as I was one of the lucky ones who was completely untroubled by the flicker that so many others seem horrified by. It just looked like a real movie to me.

I have looked and looked for judder with 3:2 pulldown on the S1, but I just can't see it. Pans look nice and smooth to me. I do notice a little skippy skip with titles, but wtf do I care about titles? Certainly not enough to pay $500 more so they're silky smooth on a smaller tv.

The colors definitely weren't as good out of the box on the S1. A lot more inaccuracy and push of certain shades. But then I poor-man-calibrated it, and could not be happier now. Cinema warm with offsets all the time, never move it - except maybe football with dad, and then either normal, cool, or Standard mode does the trick. Great picture for the money, IMO.

its funny you mention this

before i even looked into if my 50X1 had an even pulldown mode with 1080p/24 inputs. i was watching a blu-ray on my brand new plasma for the first time and noticed judder in certian panning scenes of the move as well as the credits, afterwards i checked my BD players settings and 24p output was turned off (not sure why it was on before when i had it connected to my other LCD TV)

anyways so i turned 24p output on and watched the rolling credits just to see if judder was still there and it was completely gone. the text moved smoothly with just a slight film flicker that is normal and at normal viewing distance very hard to notice. I had to get up out of the chair and stand in front of the TV to see the typical film flicker clearly and before with the player outputting 1080p/60 the judder was so apparent that my sister that was watching as well commented on it and shes not the type of person that often notices these sorts of things with TV's

Clearly some or all of the current panasonic plasmas are either using a 480hz mode when given a 24p input or are performing some other yet unknown method to me that removes judder because it simply does not happen on my 50X1 with a 1080p/24 input signal from blu-ray movies and I've watched quite a few sense then and have still yet to see any judder

its worth noting that its not the first time a manufacture failed to report an even pulldown feature on a lower model. I own a Sony 32XBR6 LCD TV that is 60hz and it switches to a 48hz mode when given 24p inputs but the result is terrible because its an LCD and is not using motion enhancement to smooth the flicker and let me tell you the flicker is devastating to movies in that mode. another yet again undocumented feature that is odd that that same 60hz LCD has is that when you give it a 60hz input from a source that is using a 3:2 pulldown it automatically detects this, applies a reverse 3:2 pulldown and also activates a 60hz motionflow motion enhancer that is not documented in the user manual of the TV but is only mentioned in a sales spec sheet sony put out for the 32/37 XBR6 models that simply stated it had "60hz Motionflow" but failed to say how and when it works

once i discovered this it was the best and really only way to watch movies on that TV but unfortunately it was very limited having no adjustment in its effect on the motion as well as only working with BD/DVD players. playback of 24fps content on a PC resulted in zero enhancement to the picture and that really ticked me off considering that i used that TV as my main PC monitor/Bedroom TV for quite some time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
46" S1 April build 4500 hours

Obviously I have enough hours to have experienced the black level rise.

I subscribe to the theory that a few panels will experience a much higher rise than others. I say this because my picture is still great except for dark scenes in a dark room. My TV perfectly fits Panasonics statement regarding black level performance, Barely noticeable if at all and picture is still excellent.

For you folks with new panny's, does a dark scene look best in a completely dark room?

If it does than I think you can expect that to change as your set ages. If you need a slight amount of biased lighting to achieve the best black level performance than I think you will be very happy with your panny for at least 4500 hours unless you are one of the unlucky few.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.