AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My room is 23ftx23ft with a peaked ceiling from 63" going to approx 10ft height in the center (peak). I will be building a false wall making the room 21x23ft for better acoustics, wall will be insulated (for acoustics) and my screen will be put up with a built in masking system. My home theater will have 2 rows of 4 leather seats with an 8"x7ftx23ft riser in the rear of the room.

THeater colour is currently a blueish gray, looks sharp but i am looking at some GOM to complement the look, front wall will be black masked, side walls and rear wall will have the GOM and ceiling will be left as is unless i decide to put some acoustic panels up at the ceiling peak. So i need some GOM to match the gray, the black leather seating and the neutral diamond shaped carpet.

Baseboards will be removed and probably painted black but this depends on the colour choices i go with with the fabric. See pics below, this is my second home theater and i am looking for suggestions on making the project optimal, not just viewing angles, colour choices, acoustics involved in this type of room with cathedral ceiling, construction advice and final decor. Help would be appreciated then i could have an AVS HT meet at my house with beer, pizza and all that good stuff when i am done.

Been out of the loop for a year building my new home so i almost feel like a newbie and need some guidance. Theater room is above the garage and isolation has been payed particular attention. This much was thought ahead of time. I'm starting to get ancy being out of the loop this long but i am ready to finish off the HT and devote some time to it. Pics below.

entrance
http://www.htauthority.com/pic1.jpg

rear wall with prewiring for surrounds, window will be covered and riser will be built for the second row of seating
http://www.htauthority.com/pic2.jpg

pic of doorway coming into room and where all the wires are there will be my built in audio rack
http://www.htauthority.com/pic3.jpg

pic of front of room where a false wall will be built for optimal room dimensions, screen with masking system, small stage area, etc
http://www.htauthority.com/pic4.jpg

pic of stairway going up to the penthouse theater.
http://www.htauthority.com/pic5.jpg

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Have you checked the riser calculator to make sure that 8" will be high enough for the rear riser? I would think you'd want closer to 12". It also looks like your rear speakers will be too low. You probably want them a couple of feet above head level (6' - 7').

Stew

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve,

thanks, made a typo. Side wall height is actually 63" nor 54" so the speakers will be a foot above the heads, as for the rear riser i will check the calculator but my preference from the get go is to mount the screen a foot or two higher than in typical installations. Screen is a 16:9 106" diagonal size. The closer mounted to the ceiling the better, obviously the cathedral ceiling will force me to mount the screen lower than i would like but the install will still be higher than the normal screen height.

This is why i think an 8" riser will be sufficient.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i calculated a minimum 8" height for the riser using the calculator when mounting the screen 32" off the floor so i should be all set.

Anyone have recommendations on a nice GOM colour for the HT. I love black but i does get plain, would be nice to mix and match.

Any other suggestions welcomed as well.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Are you going to put the L/C/R speakers behind the false wall to take advantage of that space and give a stealth look? (Obviously considering acoustics in how you would design the wall and where the speakers will go). It will also hide a sub or three under the screen, etc, and wiring up to a center channel above the screen (which wouldn't look as odd behind some GOM).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Wow, your room sure has a lot of angles.

Have you considered going with a pattern on the fabric to complement the solid colors?

That's a nice-sized room. What are your plans for number of seats and configuration? Will you have buttkickers (my new favorite HT thing) in the seats?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
guys,

thanks for the replies.

The center will be mounted behind the false wall above the screen. I'm a purist so my monitor audio speakers (FL, FR) will be in front of the false wall, on the stage if i build one.

plans are two rows of 4 home theater seats and yes i plan on utilising a buttkicker for each row.

Please make a suggestion on colour choices, this is not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I guess if I were a purist, I wouldn't put one of the LCRs behind the false wall, and the others not... :) (all or none, for better timbre matching and imaging)

As for colors, you might make the ceiling and front wall black, and paint the rear wall and side walls a darker color of your choosing (such as burgundy, forest green, or navy as suggestions). Then paint the trim black as you suggested originally.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by power
plans are two rows of 4 home theater seats and yes i plan on utilising a buttkicker for each row.

Please make a suggestion on colour choices, this is not my cup of tea.

If your plan is to stick with the wall and ceiling colors that you currently have in place, you may want to consider going with the same Berkline seats I have. I thought I was ordering a dark charcoal. In fact, now that they're in, I realize the color I received is a lighter-than-expected gray with a blue-ish tone to it. It startled me at first, but now the color has grown on me and I like them a lot. I think this color would blend nicely with the theme you have going on there now.

If you're interested, I can get you the color code. Also, I should have pics of my HT available soon.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tim,

you got me there:) I am a purist and i had my center channel on a stand even with the mains in my prior HT and i may even do it again but the plan is to add a stage and let the kids play around on the stage (only the stage) with karaoke and all the family stuff. With a center in the way i cannot do that so i have to live with the center possibly going in the wall....

Stavo,

i am going twith the Studio #7563 theater seats, i was going to go with the Directors seires #7560 brown but i love black:) Regardless i will have both on hand hopefully by the end of next week so i will be able to choose between either of them.

My friend calls the wall colours a gun metal grey, seating will be black, components/rack black, screen wall black so i just need a GOM fabric that will look good with all the combos including the neutral carpet. Baseboards will probably be black too unless i take them out entirely.

For acoustics, i have traps for the corners, will do the OC 703 and GOM on the side walls, false wall with full insulation on the front wall (3.5 inch thick) then i will install 2 or 3 broadband absorbers from the projector (about 12ft back) to the front wall right at the ceiling peak to tame reflections, smoothen response out a bit and for better imaging. This is the first time i add absorption to the ceiling so i am new to this. With a totally dead front wall i do not want to deaden the room too much so i will add and remove treatment on the side walls and play around with ETF 5 until i get something i can live with.

To the vererans/pros on this forum am i on the right track?

I know a little but but one can always use some help. Maybe i should ask Dennis to design my room but size wise it's already done for the most part so i have to work around what i currently have...I may definitely need someone to help me tweak the room in the final phazes but there is much to do before this time comes...LOts of decisions and getting ancy!

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
started on the riser, will post pics and update the thread.

building an office, taking care of many things at once so progress is slower than i would like but it will get done fairly quickly.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
things are moving along.

buttkickers installed, riser basically done. Cove area for projector mount ready to paint.

Getting GOM samples tomorrow to choose colour schemes. In wall cabinet in place just need to mount the shelves then install the equipment. Front wall ready for GOM and 28" access door done. May add a second door to the room since i have a 2x6" wall there, depends on how the safe and sound door performs once i test the system out in it's new home.

Getting exciting, 1 year out of the loop now with a bit of dedication/persistance i am finally getting there. Theater should be useable in two weeks...

I will use ETF5 and play around with the OC 703 or Linacoustic whichever i go with to get optimum room response before the side walls get the GOM. Have all equipment and two rows of 4 black leather theater seating ready to go in.

Even have my mount purchased off Ebay, not cheap but solid not to mention universal. Things are looking up slowly but surely:)

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
anyone ready for pics?

man this is alot of work, especially with me doing the work myself (i consider myself pretty handy but still...). Lots of angles, tough to get the fabric taught and minimise the use of staples anywhere other than on the seams. Went all black GOM in my HT, looks good with the gun metal grey. Will post progress pics but i see the light.

Not easy to do but i have some secrets that i could pass on when i am done. A little more fabric to put up (one wall) along with the trim. Masking around the perimeter of the screen, some cleanup then set-up of the remainder of the equipment and of course the seating. I figure 2 more solid days so by the end of next week it will be show time.

I'll have an extra door, some nail hole filling and touch ups to do after that but that will do it. A few decor items too but this can all be done as i go, time to enjoy my fruits of labour very shortly.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Pics would be great! I'm especially curious about how you attached the GOM, details on approach, tensioning, support bracing, how it looks once complete, etc..

Keep up the great work! DIY pays off!

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A few progress pics:

http://www.htauthority.com/DSCN0392.jpg

http://www.htauthority.com/DSCN0393.jpg

http://www.htauthority.com/DSCN0394.jpg

almost done, a few touch ups, rehang the projector, audio is working, can see a few components in the rack, screen, linacoustic, GOM, riser built, buttkickers installed and general clean-up done.

Almost ready to bring in the seating:) Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do with the window? Rather then pain i may go with a blackout shade or if anyone has suggestions please share.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Dude, that is going to look really good when complete. I envy you for your room size. I would love to have some more width to mine.

As for the window, you want it to look decent, so plugging it with something you can remove would just look bad. But it would work. I don't know what else to suggest, especially since it has the curve on top.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Scott,

yep that's the thing, the arc on top is what make covering the window more of a challenge. I mean i want the room dark anyways, the solution has to look good and be functional not just a "fix".

The room will look good when done. Will post better pics when complete, i took the pics later last night with the flash so not optimal... looking good, even better once i get everything in place and do all the touch ups. I mean you can barely see the sub in the corner by the door, some testing to do with the bass. You can't see the chair mold in the pics either...

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Looking good Serge..... How about stacking a pair of those marquees over one another and having them hinged on a panel? Hide the window yet easy access.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
good idea Tedd,

hey i am emailing you now. Since we are getting together for Art's meet no reason why we cannot get together. Wife is working though but i still don't see why not...

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Another option may be furring strips and acoustic treatments on a panel that hinges as well, and could match the other acoustic treatments (that you're going to do.. right? ;))

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.