AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've read through alot of these threads in the last few days, I've noticed a common theme. Everyone is pretty happy with their setup, but there are always a few caveats. "I wish I had gone another 2 fee wider" etc..

What would be the optimal HT setup. Room size, equipment, seating, screen size etc?

·
Registered
829 Posts
There is no optimal setup, only a perceived optimal setup through the eyes of the beholder. For every member on this forum, you're going to get a different answer to this question. Asking a broad question like you have would be like asking an open religious forum what the best religion is.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Best Picture (in YOUR opinion).

Best Sound (in YOUR opinion).

Optimum # of seats (in YOUR opinion).

Do you notice any (PATTERN) here?

The price you can afford can make a lot of difference, but even big bucks does not guarantee a great theater.

·
Registered
781 Posts
No matter what project you do, after all is said and done and you put it into practice you will notice things that you would have changed "had I known...". Everyone has different habbits and styles and preferences and one person's "2 feet wider" is another's "perfect". One person's "Perfect lighting" is another's "a little bright" or "too dark".

·
Registered
474 Posts
This is a tricky question because there is no right answer. I supposed if we had an unlimited amount of space we could get the optimal number of people. But again, how many do we want to entertain? Obviously the size of the perfect room dictates the number of people and the type of equipment appropriate to be installed.

I dont think you will ever get a straight answer out of anyone. Even with the high end systems you will find people that would have wanted to change things.

Maybe the way to approach this is with a budget... say you have 20k, 50k, 100k+ to spend on your system... what would you do with it. Better yet, what if it were someone else's money?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello ALL,

I am looking to covert my 3rd floor into a Home Theater room. I have done some research online about a few of my questions, only to get more confused on them. Here's what I have to work with.

My room size is 18xi18 with open studs, so I will be able to put the speaker wires in them to give that nice clean look.

What I basically need to know is, what is the best stuff to put onto the walls to get the best sound (plywood, drywall, or I was just reading about the QUIET ROK)? Like I said, I am completely new at this whole thing, so I really need to know EVERYTHING from A-Z. I am looking to do ALL of the work myself, in order to save some $$$$.

Is there a site that someone could direct me to that would show me everything from start to finish? I already have the DLP projector and 7.1 Surround sound unit picked out, its just a matter of wiring and speaker ends(banana clips or spade or plain wire). And on top of that, I was looking at the MONSTER wire for the surround sound and other components. Is this a good choice of wire? Placement of the projector would be helpful as well. I would like to ceiling mount it to keep it up out of the way.

I plan on putting the Back row of seat on a Platform. So, my question here is, How high should that Back platform be? The front row will be on the floor. Should I go 8-12" higher? Or, would 6" be sufficient?

As I said before, This is a COMPLETELY open room, so I guess the sky's the limit. So ANY and ALL HELP would be greatly APPRECIATED.

Thanks in Advance,

CAIN

·
Registered
291 Posts
Slow down there big fella. First off, you shouldn't hijack someone elses thread in this way. Start a new one. But do some reading here first. The answers to your questions can be found by searching this forum. Once you've got a general idea of what you plan on doing, then, ask your questions.

Craigo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.