Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

This issue of "The Perfect Vision" is supposed to come out with a review of all major plasmas (and some less expensive ones).

In particular, I'd be very interested to learn how the Sampo, Sony and Fujitsu compared.

I'd also be very interested about Panasonic 50" and Pioneer 1000HD compare!

Anyone?

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm glad to hear it's available in San Diego. Here in Chicago, I've been checking the newsstands for the last three weeks (since it appeared on the Perfect Vision website), and it's still not available. I was at the Barnes and Noble an hour ago, and they still have the September/October issue out.

Whatever happened to magazines being for sale long *before* the cover date? I suppose this parallels the availability of home theater hardware, which is always endlessly delayed.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Sorry about the stiff fee -- I've never done the download thing and so did not recall how expensive it was, because I subscribe, and got my copy 2 weeks ago. I'm surprised it's not on the newstands. It's a pretty good subscription deal at 20 US.

Well, at least I steered you right on the Pete's site. It's a great site and the articles on ISF measurement, among other items, are extremely interesting.

The TPV article does have some different things than the site, including the comparison of black levels between the two Pioneer monitors and some tables.

Cheers

·
Registered
272 Posts
There is a full review of the Fujitsu PDS 4222 that I wrote in The Perfect Vision 38, and of course Pete Putman's big review in TPV 39.

You should be able to find TPV at all Borders or Barnes/Nobles. Unfortunately, it often sells out quickly and so you'll have to wait for them to reorder, or simply subscribe. As another reader mentioned, it's now only $20 a year, and each issue has a large number of reviews.

My personal opinion is that the new Fujitsu 42" PDS 4242 is a great panel in terms of size, brightness, image quality and price.

These panels really shine (as it were) with 1080i and 720p. The 4242 has DVI input for use with graphics cards.

Of course, at a higher-price-level, the Fujistu 50" PDS 5002 is excellent, probably best in class according to informed reports.

My understanding is that the low-price-leader Sony PFM-42B1 uses the glass from the Fujitsu PDS 4222 (not the 4242).

Note that Fujitsu uses part numbers that are similar (e.g., 4222 or 4229 versus 4242, but the panels are quite different in terms of performance, so be careful is someone offers you a panel at a very low price and says that the xxxx is almost as good as the yyyy). I cannot imagine anyone being less than thrilled with it, 3 year warranty, etc. The PDS 4242 is clearly a signficant advance over the PDS 4222, which was quite good.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Nicholas--

Thanks for the input on the 4242. Do you or Peter have a view as to how it performs relative to the Panny 42? I am especially interested how it stacks up on Sat and DVD, since HDTV tends to look quite good on all these panels.

By the way, I am a subscriber and I still don't have my Nov/Dec issue.

Please keep us posted on these panels (including the Pio 43 when it becomes available).

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi Dixon:

Please send me your name and mailing address to [email protected] , and our circulation people will check it out and send you another copy if necessary. I believe that the handling of printed matter mail has really slowed since September 11.

Regards,

Nicholas Bedworth

·
Registered
733 Posts
Nicholas--

Thanks, I will send you the info. I didn't mean to turn this into a gripe post, I was just curious if something was holding the issue up. Thanks, and thanks to you and Peter for participating in this forum. We are all starved for the latest info.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.