AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really close to purchasing this set and wanted to hear good or bad things about the TV before I do. Does anyone know if this TV can do progressive modes (my research tells me no). I will I be pissed later on that i bought one without prog modes. It fits my budget and still gets my the 16:9 ratio.... any comments, I am probably goin philips cause i get a discount... but if u know any better philips model in a similar price range... pls let me kno

·
Registered
37 Posts
According to the Philips website, their branded feature called 'Eye Fidelity' [cute] is:

"Eye Fidelity allows you the choice of progressive or interlaced line doubling options. Both techniques are designed to enhance the quality of the picture by doubling the number of lines. Interlaced for fast moving images and progressive for slower moving images."

How good those images are, I have no frame of reference to tell. I'm going to go back in there sometime this week with a non-anamorphic and a 4:3 dvd, to see if they'll let me check it out.

I went to Best Buy yesterday to check out this TV; they didn't have this specific one, but they had the 55 inch model. I'm not sure what their sources were; their HD source looked excellent of course, and I went into the menus and selected an alternate source, which allowed me to play with the Eye Fidelity options and the aspect ratios. It had 4 aspect ratios for non-16:9 material; 4:3 with windowbox, 'Auto', Panorama [which was probably the best, imho: there wasn't that much obvious picture alteration], Widescreen [showed some stretching of the image] and Expand [zoom]. Of course what they had playing was a DirectTV commercial, so it changed shots every 3 seconds and was hard to get a good still picture to check out, and I don't know if it was video, a dvd, or what, or how it was connected, but it did show some pixelation. Of course, I was also only about 3 feet away.

The viewing angle seemed to be reasonably wide, I walked over to about 45 degrees from face-on, and while the image was of course angled away from me, it was still reasonably visible. It seemed to be more sensitive to vertical angle than horizontal [ie, you need to be on the same height as it.] There was a lot of reflection/glare, but this TV was in the corner, and when I got to 45 degrees, I could see the reflection of 3 other tv's that were on the other wall. That obviously isn't normal viewing conditions [at least in my house ; )] It also comes with a built in protective screen, so I've heard that always adds a little glare/reflectivity. But as long as you were within that 80-90 degree viewing angle, it didn't seem that noticeable.

I'm leaning toward this one too--the one annoying thing, is that it's got a silver chassis, and we're used to black; but I can kinda see some logic to that.

Also, the BB guy said that the 60" model is being discontinued; I don't know if he meant they were going to quit carrying it, or Philips was discontinuing production. He wasn't very clear on the details, although one interesting thing I noticed is that most RPTVs are 55, 57, 61, or 65. 60 inch is an odd measurement [based solely on my observations.]

Of course anyone who has more experience with this TV is more than welcome to chime in, this is going from my 20 minutes in the store on a semi-busy Sunday afternoon. I'm leaning toward this one also.

Also, it says that it supports 1080i and 480p, and does have that Eye Fidelity. How important is it to find a TV that supports 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i? My current sources are non-HD satellite, soon to be a progressive scan DVD player, and videogames.

EDIT: Hmm, maybe not--I'm looking at the Philips website, and they have a model later on that specifies:

"Progressive Scan

You want to enjoy sharper images. Progressive Scan doubles the vertical resolution of the image resulting in a noticeable sharper picture"

in addition to the Eye Fidelity, so apparently Eye Fidelity is not the same thing as progressive scan. They sound very similar, however.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.