AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Editing this original post as I am in the process of having a new home built with a finished theater room at the size of 15' x 21'.

Building in the Pine Barrens of Southern NJ. Hence the build name.

Here is what I’m expecting the theater to look like when finished:

·
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Okay - for real this time.

Over 5 years and 3 kids later, we've outgrown the house we purchased in 2014 and we signed contracts to build our new dream home, including a home theater. I'm meeting with the design company next week and want to have a list of things to tell them and I'm hoping to get some pointers or be told some things I may not be thinking of from the community here. Here is what I "think" (know?) I want:

• Clean front of theater. I'd like to have an acoustically transparent screen with my Fronts, Center, and at least one (if both) of my two Rythmik FV15HP subs behind it. One of my favorite things growing up was going to the The Tuttleman IMAX Theater at the Philadelphia Franklin Institute (steep stadium, wrap-around screen type) where they would have the lights on behind the screen pre-show in order for the audience to be able to see all the speaker hardware behind the screen. I've found one example of this
But what I'm going for is more like this. Does anyone know what screen would provide me with this effect?

• Reusing my current speaker setup. I currently have my living room Home Theater using floor + bookshelf speakers for the fronts and various surrounds. I plan to reuse the fronts and center behind the screen but the surrounds and rear surrounds I plan to do in wall. Anyone see issues with this?
  • What dimensions should I go for? Our basement will need to have 2 offices, a large family/kids playroom, and my home theater. Below is the diagram that shows this space with some rough dimensions and some suggestions the builder puts forward, but this space can be designed any way we'd like. Anyone think this will be too small? What would the ideal size be for a dedicated theater space?

Some ideas I've thrown together:

Smaller details like the colors/carpet/etc. I have a good grasp on. Right now the above are really the things I'm trying to figure out. Thanks for any help/suggestions in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
But what I'm going for is more like this. Does anyone know what screen would provide me with this effect?
First off, that pic is photoshopped. If you watch his vid, his lights are blue and they don't offer a view like that pic.

The Hahn theater used Stewart Filmscreen SnoMatte 100. The effect is much more impressive here, but the lights are bright white instead of blue. I think the key is really bright lights since everything behind the screen should be black.

http://keithyates.com/home-theater-of-the-month-the-hahn-theater/

With regards to you build layouts, what are the dimensions of each space? What goals do you have for seating, screen size, and other factors that would influence you layout?

·
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
First off, that pic is photoshopped. If you watch his vid, his lights are blue and they don't offer a view like that pic.

The Hahn theater used Stewart Filmscreen SnoMatte 100. The effect is much more impressive here, but the lights are bright white instead of blue. I think the key is really bright lights since everything behind the screen should be black.

http://keithyates.com/home-theater-of-the-month-the-hahn-theater/

With regards to you build layouts, what are the dimensions of each space? What goals do you have for seating, screen size, and other factors that would influence you layout?

Love the Hahn theater. Forgot that he put that feature in there. Assuming the Stewart Filmscreen SnoMatte 100 will be far out of my budget, I'm wondering what other acoustically transparent screen material might give the same effect given bright white lights behind the screen. All? Or only specific ones?

I' looking at a 120" 16:9 screen size.

As far as dimensions, nothing is set in stone, so part of my question here is what a good size theater would be? I think two rows of 3 theater seats is what im shooting for with the second row being on a platform.

Here are rough estimates of what the sizes in my screen shots above would be..

Attachments

·
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found these images that show basically what I mean by clean front of house. Just a screen with speakers behind it. Wall to wall if possible (other than bezel to absorb the perimeter light so as not to reflect on the sides and ceiling.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Not sure of where any HVAC sheet metal runs, but could you fit an entry door between the support post and the height of the stairs there? Steal a foot and make enough room for an acoustically transparent space??

I am assuming that is a sump pump and a riser could have a hatch section for access, and maintenance.

Would an offset wall in the office make each space feel a wee bit bigger?

Attachments

·
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure of where any HVAC sheet metal runs, but could you fit an entry door between the support post and the height of the stairs there? Steal a foot and make enough room for an acoustically transparent space??

I am assuming that is a sump pump and a riser could have a hatch section for access, and maintenance.

Would an offset wall in the office make each space feel a wee bit bigger?

Thanks for putting this together! First the idea with an offset wall for the office is fantastic. I’ll discuss with the builders. My measurements are off here. I went to the house and each office would be more like 11’ x 11’ not what’s shown.

The theater idea is interesting with using the whole space including where the sump is.

My issue with that is two fold. First there is the plumbing coming straight up from the sump. Perhaps i can have them put an elbow to bring that plumbing into the wall.

Second is the noise. Those motors could be loud when running though I don’t know if it will run or not when It rains. In my current home with a French drain, the sump pump runs every 30-60 seconds in heavy rain. I suppose i could do some hardcore sound proofing around it under the access to try to stave that off, but not sure how effective that can be with seats literally above that platform. I’ll also discuss with the builder. Thanks for putting the time in to think about these solutions and draw this up.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
The ejection line could be rerouted slightly. Not really a big project to do after the fact. Some fittings and the proper glue.

The access hatch could be beefed up mass-wise and have a gasket, so the pump noise might be very manageable, or completely eliminated.
You also might want an alarm on the sump pump, and/or a water back up pump system.

Other issues you might need to work around, include any waste line cleanouts, where they exit the basement, electrical cabinets, and often support columns, along with
HVAC and support joists.

If each office is 11x11', then how does affect the space above? But the correction of the mis-measurement is a really nice plus for you, if that upper space is even wider.
That might let you slide the whole theater forward and simply host the sump pump in an equipment room.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Another thought is five seats enough? A nice couch or even five commercial rocker theater seats is something I am thinking for my next theater, and simply add in some
higher end features, like an embedded hush box in the back wall. The throw distances are not large so just about any speaker could play reference levels if the room's noise floor
is low.

Attachments

·
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another thought is five seats enough? A nice couch or even five commercial rocker theater seats is something I am thinking for my next theater, and simply add in some

higher end features, like an embedded hush box in the back wall. The throw distances are not large so just about any speaker could play reference levels if the room's noise floor

is low.

This will be a good alternative to show should the builder does not agree that finishing the space where the sump pump is is doable. Another thought I had is to just ask them if it’s possible to move the sump to the other side of the basement which would remain unfinished. I don’t see why not.

·
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is what I’m currently thinking for the theater room. Thoughts? Anything I’m not thinking about that I should be?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,762 Posts
Glad to see your back in the swim of things.

Hoping your local A/V Design-Contractor is doing right by you. Seems that there is much left to be considered...perhaps another update by you might clear things up?

12'-9" x 17'-9" is almost "pocket sized" for a 2-Row Theater.....but done right it can become what I like to call...and have been calling such smaller theaters...a Virtual Reality Theater.

In any case, looking to the Forum for advice and instruction can only help empower you in any discussions with local help.

..........or leave you hopelessly indecisive.:p

My best advice? Try your best not to rush into any decisions. This effort has been long in coming...let's get it nailed down righteously the first time around!

·
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah ignore the last post diagram dimensions. I’ve recently confirmed with the builder that the room is 14’6” x 21’6”. Not too much bigger than previously thought but a little more front to back space. The back chairs will be 3’ from the back of the room and the screen will be 3’ from the front of the room to leave space for the subs and speakers. So the viewing distance in the back row will be about 15’6”. The front row is 5’ in front of that so about only 10’6” to the screen. Virtual Reality Theater! I like that haha. So much so that I might name the theater the VR Theater!

·
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The framing of the house is finished and I decided to do a little covert walkthrough. The entire thing is correct except....you guess it! The theater room. Before framing, I designed and had approved with the builder the layout of the basement with the door to the utility room (unfinished area for heater/hot water tank/etc) to be next to the step entry which is a narrow 31” hall to the space with the utilities. The other side of the steps is the theater. In my walkthrough I found they framed a doorway from the theater to the area behind the stairs and framed next to the stairs where there should be framing for a 30” door as a wall. See images.

They also didn’t frame out a niche going to under the steps as us in our design (and cost).

So some questions for the group. First, I definitely don’t want the door where they have it framed to go as the sound from the heater will surely be loud and heard in the theater. As it were, I planned to do some sound treatments in the unfinished section against the all and ceiling to deaden the sound. I also planned to do treatments on the theater side as you can see in the mock-up in my OP.

We have an official framing walkthrough on the 30th and seeing as this was an unauthorized walkthrough, given that we’re not supposed to be there without a member of the builders team there, I’m hesitant to bring it up until our walkthrough on the 30th.

Thoughts here?

·
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Theater is coming along with the 1 issue mentioned above still outstanding. The town inspector came and told us and the builder they we had to have a door in the theater room to the mechanical room as the hallway next to the steps is not 36” wide. Won’t pass CO. So we’re doing a Louver door next to the steps which will still serve as the primary access. For the theater room door, we’re exploring some flush mount hidden door options now. I’d soundproof it from the other side if we do that. Not sure what other options I have.

Anyways the construction of the front of the room floor platform and ceiling soffit, as well as the seating platform and steps is completed. Pictures below.

Also, for the wiring which will be run in a couple of weeks, I purchased the following from Blue Jeans Cable.

300ft of Belden 5000UE (Gray jacket, 12 AWG) - surrounds x4, in-ceiling x4, tactile transducers x6

200ft of BJC Twelve White (White jacket, 12 AWG) - fronts x2, center x1.

2x 50ft BJC LC-1 Subwoofer Cable.

30ft main Bifale 2.1 8k Fiber Optic HDMI cable

30ft backup Monoprice HDMI Commercial cable

·
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Low voltage wiring for speakers going in tomorrow. Anyone have any suggestions/comments/tips on that?

Some info:

I am planning to wire the risers for the 6 tactile transducers (6x Clark Synthesis TST209) in the following configuration, presenting a 6ohm load to whatever Amp I go with.

I did consider the option offered by someone else here to split these into 2 different series runs. But that will present a 12ohm load which would then better be suited to be handled by 2 amps vs. what I am hoping can be 1 2 channel amp in bridge mode. I am thinking I will power these with a Crown XLS2502.

I may put some diagrams together today for the low voltage guys tomorrow. If I do, I will post them here and it may help anyone who wants to help with feedback (maybe I am not considering something I should be).

1 - 20 of 51 Posts