AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Just thought it would be cool to have a thread where everyone can post pics of there hard work. Just post a pic or two of your screen and tell us how you made it. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
5,194 Posts

·
Registered
5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar /forum/post/12939845

Where they belong... behind the screen

So when guests come, and ask: "Wow! That sounds great, what do you have Bose?" You reply: "Yep. Bose Executive platinum series."

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Here is my Mini-IMAX before the subwoofers all lights on. Second picture is what the two 12” subs are like in place.

Screen shot with lights out 4:3 screen self masking on 16:9 movie.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Inside: painted wall using Valspar plank grey on flat black background

Outside: Main 165" comprises of four cardboard panels painted with leftover white paint. Garage screen 1 are two panels of Walmart frosted shower curtains taped together and Garage screen 2 is 6 mil clear visquine (or plastic painter's tarp) folded over to become 12 mil screen. Used only for holidays (like Halloween)

Main and Garage screen 1

Garage screen 2 with flash and without flash

Victor

·
Registered
5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascully /forum/post/13164017

I actually just built mine today dont have a piccy with a projected image on it yet but I will tomorrow

Looks great. What is it made of and how big?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Paint: BlackFlame SuperLite painted on to gloss white base coat
Substrate: 1/2" MDF
Size: 94"
Trim: 1x3 poplar wrapped in Black Fidellio Velvet
Projector: Infocus 4805 (Low power mode)
Other: Hung using dual horizontal french cleats (3/4" MDF)

Base Coat

BlackFlame SuperLite Coats

Velvet Frame

Velvet Frame attached to Screen

French Cleats attached to wall

Finished

·
Registered
275 Posts
Mynym,

Hey i like your screen, couple question How did you attach the screen to the Velvet border? Also because it is MDF the screen must be a heavy Beast.

And lastly is Black Flame a paint you can buy or is it a mixture of paints? And how easy was it to roll it on? Was it smooth? What kind of roller did you use?

Sorry for all the questions i'm building my screen soon as well and want to make it look as good as possible.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernalfer /forum/post/13167535

Mynym,

Hey i like your screen, couple question How did you attach the screen to the Velvet border? Also because it is MDF the screen must be a heavy Beast.

And lastly is Black Flame a paint you can buy or is it a mixture of paints? And how easy was it to roll it on? Was it smooth? What kind of roller did you use?

Sorry for all the questions i'm building my screen soon as well and want to make it look as good as possible.

I attached the screen to the 1"x3" poplar with drywall screws.

The screen is certainly heavy. I choose 1/2" MDF because my method of hanging had to be a french cleat and the cleats needed something to grip on to.

I mixed my own Black Flame paint up because at the time BlackFlame wasn't commercially available. It is a hard mix to get perfect. To get the perfect mix I used measuring syringes (Tractor supply has large 60ml ones).

·
Registered
67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited /forum/post/13165015

Looks great. What is it made of and how big?

Its made using the black out cloth from a fabric store, fir wood and black velvet for the edges. Its 101 inch diagonal we are loving it so far more piccys below.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
This is a 1/2" thick 54x120" Gatorfoam board with a 2" sticky-back felt border. Sits in front of my 60" Sony RPTV on a couple of wood bookend-style brackets, with another wood piece up top to hold it steady (can't be seen in the pic). The Gatorfoam is light enough that I can take it down and put it back myself. Bright white, whiter than any paint sample chip I can find. Great screen for

·
Registered
4,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/13227202

Laserfan, very nice. Is that Gatorfoam painted or not?

Thanks! No, I've left it the way it comes, bright white, smooth finish. I might paint the other side though--thinking maybe Black Widow or something. Nice to have options...

·
Registered
144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma George /forum/post/13227627

It's 110" DW laminate, floating 4" off the wall, that's been painted many times, now it's the Black Widow !

Very nice. How do you have it attached to the wall? I may need some method like that (depending on how you did it) since my screen will be in front of a window. My wife is OK with me blocking the window, but I'm not removing the window. So now I need to figure out how to attach a 92" - 100" diagonal screen with a 75" wide window behind it.

Rich

·
Registered
144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan /forum/post/13224543

This is a 1/2" thick 54x120" Gatorfoam board with a 2" sticky-back felt border. Sits in front of my 60" Sony RPTV on a couple of wood bookend-style brackets, with another wood piece up top to hold it steady (can't be seen in the pic). The Gatorfoam is light enough that I can take it down and put it back myself. Bright white, whiter than any paint sample chip I can find. Great screen for

1 - 20 of 26 Posts