AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just got off the phone with ASUS tech support and they explained to me that my 400W Silenx PSU was not enough to drive their ASUS P5N-D MB with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 1.86 GHz chip.

Apparently the 4 pin 12v/20.0Amp is not enough power. Does that sound fishy to you guys? Anyway the PSU I have is all that will fit my component case (Ahanix D5). Any recommendations on a MB that it will drive?

I used to use the ASUS P5B with no problems.

Thanks,

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm pretty sure that specific motherboard and processor do not utilize 400W by themselves. What are the other components being powered?

BT

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
The ONLY thing that you could have on that computer that could suck up enough power would be a huge GPU or 2 of them even. Even a single one probably wouldnt use that much power.

Me thinks Asus is crazy or just giving you the run around so they dont have to support your issue. Personally I had issues with Asus years ago with them taking several months for an RMA and not returning calls or emails. Never bought another product since. Been on gigabyte lately and they just hosed me on a brand new mouse that quit after like 40 days so newegg wouldnt take it either. They wanted me to pay shipping which would have cost what the mouse cost and refused to just ship me a replacement mouse. Now I have no mouse.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCr /forum/post/19618014

Apparently the 4 pin 12v/20.0Amp is not enough power. Does that sound fishy to you guys?

Tried searching for your PSU and it seems like a cheap, low-quality unit. Most good quality 400W power supplies can deliver up to 30A on the 12V rail. If it can actually deliver 20A on the 12V rail, I don't think there would be a problem but I have a feeling it's not putting out anywhere near close to that.

The Asus P5N-D is an SLI motherboard. Any particular reason why you chose it?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
LOL @ 20A on the 12V of a "400W" PSU. I have an Enermax SFX supply that Enermax branded as "270W" (the model number actually lends to 285W but Enermax stated 270 for marketing), and that does 20A on the 12V rail.

So really your "400W" supply is essentially less than what a 300W supply would provide.

Though even 20A should be enough, as ilovejedd pointed out it might not even be capable of that. Or of course it might have been capable but might be flaking out after however long you've been using it. If it's under warranty you could try an RMA, if not, probably time to get a better supply.

Of course the alternative is that there is a problem with the motherboard, but you'll have to try another PSU to be sure. Can't you borrow one frome someone or buy one somewhere you can easily return it (in case it's not the PSU that's the problem)?

Stranger PSU things have happened by the way. I had an experience with this Corsair 750W supply that flaked out in the oddest way. Upon upgrading a motherboard to an H57 board with an i3 CPU (which consumed a lot less power than what it powered before), the mobo failed to boot and would just continually power on/off. I thought it was the mobo too but then I tried another supply and it worked fine. Then I tried 3 more supplies including a super cheap Bestec (Worstec) and all of them (a total of 4 others) powered the motherboard fine. Adding insult to injury, the Corsair supply also powered every other system I tried it on (3 other systems), but not this newer (and lower powered) H57 board! So it worked fine everywhere else, just not with an i3 board. In the end I had to RMA the Corsair supply (which they replaced no questions asked
).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I really appreciate it. Newegg will RMA the board and the PSU is going back to Amazon. Now I need to figure out a PSU with some power that can fit in my case

5" X 5" X 2.5"

Any ideas?

I currently have this one http://www.silenx.com/ixtremapropsus.asp?sku=ixm-40-14

Seem liked the only one I could find that would fit

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have 12 HD's in my server and max power draw with a Xeon MB and 8GB of ECC Ram was 276W ... (7 of them are set to stagger 2 every 2 secs) but you would have to have a decent amount of drives to cause it not to boot or a lot of other hardware drawing on the PSU...

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Guys, 20A on the 12V rail is overkill for most systems, unless you have a gaming video card in there. SilenX makes decent PSUs; they aren't a no-namer that will blow up at 50% capacity.

Unless you have an HD5800 series or GTX 280 series in there, you should fine.

Hard drives do use the most power when spinning up, but it's around 3W, which at 12V is only 0.25A.

That power supply should work fine. ASUS is trying to get out of supporting you.

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCr /forum/post/19623764

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I really appreciate it. Newegg will RMA the board and the PSU is going back to Amazon. Now I need to figure out a PSU with some power that can fit in my case

5" X 5" X 2.5"

Any ideas?

I currently have this one http://www.silenx.com/ixtremapropsus.asp?sku=ixm-40-14

Seem liked the only one I could find that would fit

Holy Crap Man!!!! Tell what else you have in the case so we can make an educated suggestion here! It would probably help to know what case you're using too.

From what you've given us, you HAVE to have an SFX PSU (5x5x2.5). The SilenX you tried is designed for small cases using mostly low voltage components (hence all the power being applied to the 5v & 3.3v rails). You might consider this Silverstone PSU (12v/36A, 5v/22A, 3.3v/21A) or this Seasonic Dual 12v (12v1/18A, 12v2/18A, 5v/20A, 3.3v/20A).

Any time you want help with a system, PLEASE post the ALL components. Otherwise, everyone here is flying blind and can't really help much.

BT

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Unless you're referring to 2.5" hard drives, spin-up is not 3W. Most use 3.5" HDDs 1.5~2A at spin-up (18~24W) and there are a few that even exceed that.

By the way, something I came across while looking for SilenX PSU reviews:

*Consumer beware of counterfeit products being sold be ExoticPC and ColorCase under the Ahanix brand. Ahanix is a company with a history of copyright fraud and even their current website is a copy of Samsung Corporation. Their products are not authentic SilenX brand products and do not come with a genuine SilenX warranty.*

1 - 13 of 13 Posts