AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
 Excite lists this episode as HDTV and they are usually reliable.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hardrock
Excite lists this episode as HDTV and they are usually reliable.
The show was not post produced in HD until this season. If the show is a repeat of one of last years' episodes, it will not be in HD no matter what the listing says.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mmost

The show was not post produced in HD until this season. If the show is a repeat of one of last years' episodes, it will not be in HD no matter what the listing says.
Based on my comment that Excite is usually reliable, that would be my guess also; but, I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hardrock -

Your link goes to Nov 4th. If you check Oct. 28th, it is a repeat. But Excite does list as HDTV. I have found their listing pretty reliable but they missed Best Friends Wedding tonight.

Also maybe they are figuring all "Practices" are HD and didn't realize they would be showing an old show so soon into the season. Probably because of baseball.

I guess we'll see if they broadcast old shows in HD or not.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ripster

Also maybe they are figuring all "Practices" are HD and didn't realize they would be showing an old show so soon into the season. Probably because of baseball.

I guess we'll see if they broadcast old shows in HD or not.
Let me repeat what I said before in a slightly different way. Any Practice episode prior to this current season does not exist in any format other than standard definition (although it was posted in 16:9 for the last few seasons). "They" can't broadcast something in HD that doesn't exist.

I don't work for ABC, but I do work for David E. Kelley Productions.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mmost

Let me repeat what I said before in a slightly different way. Any Practice episode prior to this current season does not exist in any format other than standard definition (although it was posted in 16:9 for the last few seasons). "They" can't broadcast something in HD that doesn't exist.

I don't work for ABC, but I do work for David E. Kelley Productions.
Any chance that the 16x9 version could be upconverted, so at least future repeats would be in widescreen?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gpb

Any chance that the 16x9 version could be upconverted, so at least future repeats would be in widescreen?
I suppose, but I doubt it. Firstly, the 16:9 version was never delivered to ABC (it was for Fox Studios only). Second, ABC has shown no inclination to broadcast standard definition 16:9 programming, only 720p HD. But those masters do exist, so technically it could be done.

·
Registered
868 Posts
FYI

The ABC digital distribution system that feeds DTV to the affiliates is designed for HDTV not 480I or P.

Rory Boyce

KXTV

Sacramento

·
Registered
304 Posts
Look at the bottom of the Excite web page:

©2001 Tribune Media Services

Excite subscribes to TV listing data from Tribune. If Tribune tells Excite that a program is HDTV, then that's what Excite will tell us. I don't think Excite is that interested in the information to the point that they would make any corrections. There isn't a lot of competion in the TV listing data services business, and Tribune tends to buy its competitors (e.g. TVData recently).

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ABC does have the ability to upconvert on its digital transponder as they did two weeks ago for the repeat episode of "Dharma & Greg" and last week for the repeat episode of "Spin City." In this way, affiliates did not have to switch back and forth on their digital channels to pick up non-HDTV programming sandwiched between two HDTV shows. However, ABC has pointed out that this upconversion cannot be done on a regular basis. It's still 4:3, though, not 16:9, but looks pretty good (certainly nowhere near as good as the true HDTV feeds).

·
Registered
304 Posts
Here's what you'll find at TitanTV.com:

TV listings data is provided by Tribune Media Services Inc.

·
Registered
304 Posts
TV listings data provided by Tribune Media Services, Inc

That from the Gist TV Listings.

Question: Is there any other source?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.