AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate some help with choosing the right set up...

The Primus line is really being discounted on the net. I've seen 150's for $50 each and 160's for 170/pair. I was thinking about getting a pair of ARXP62 from ACOUSTIC RESEARCH. I've heard them and I really like em but now that Primus is discounted I'm thinking on getting the 150's with the center now for front stage then moving them to surrounds in a couple of months when I get the 250'stheir coming down in price to.

I haven't heard the primus but for that price I'll take the risk.

I know every one raves about the 360's but live in an apartment and the room is only 12 X 14 so I'm thinking the 360 is a bit too much speaker for the space. Also what do you all think about 5.1 with just 150's or just 160's considering the space.

I use this 50/50 music and movies.

Right now I have some mix-match speakers from a 10 y/o AWIA HTIB, a pair of bookshelf's from Phillips set and a Yamaha yst216 sub to make 7.1 so almost anything is an improvement. All this is powered by a Onkyo 604 and an oppo 970. Havent' gotton the display yet but I'm leaning toward the Aquos 37 lcd (720p) or the 42 Panasonic plasma (720p).

My budget is a little tight. I don't want to spend any more than $400-500 on speakers and will make a decision on replacing the sub after I get them.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thx

--Mike

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just picked up a set of 360's with matching center for a room that's a bit smaller than yours. Haven't hooked them up yet, since the receiver is still "in the mail". Should be here Monday. I just couldn't pass up the pricing on the Primus line right now, considering that I'm hoping to have a larger living room in a new house pretty soon. I'll let you know on Monday how they sound in a small space.

·
Registered
188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTRMikeD /forum/post/0

I know every one raves about the 360's but live in an apartment and the room is only 12 X 14 so I'm thinking the 360 is a bit too much speaker for the space.

I lived in a one bedroom top floor apartment with a living room that size. I stuffed it with Axiom M80s and an SVS PC+1646. You know you can cause problems with neighbors even with a small bookshelf...so why not buy what you want and moderate your output as you must in all cases? The major issue for me was optimal placement. M80s do overload small rooms but I was happy anyway. Being able to deafen a noisy neighbor in a retaliatory strike does have its up side.
I 'solved' that issue when I moved. The best bonus was that it prevented the need to upgrade for the larger room.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.