AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is almost too good! I say that just because on programs such as CSI, when they are cutting into a dead person like the corpse last night, you could see his pulse beating in his neck! Or the lady being pulled out of the car that was underwater... she took a breath after the door was opened and they were showing another shot of her wrapped in plastic.

Too bad the actors cannot hold their breath long enough to stop their heart from beating and throwing it off. If anything, that is what I would say the problem with HD is. It is just too darn clear! Too much detail.

Yeah right! I will take the breathing corpses over the SD on my regular TV any day!

How about the rest of you, any problems or complaints about HD?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Have you had a close-up look at Peter Arnett lately? :(

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What, you cannot see him breathing, and he should be on a table in the labs of CSI?

Oh, you mean, you don't like the War on Terrorism series? I watched a few, and got bored with it.

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dsegelstein
Have you had a close-up look at Peter Arnett lately? :(
ROFLMAO :D

It also brings to mind the picture of Ted Kopel's hairpiece or the 60 Minutes crew in HD. Ewwwwww!

All that said, I will still take the HD, but I must admit to having a few fantasy's disturbed by some of the actresses that have appeared on Leno in HD. Some of them really need the airbrushed film look. HD shows the good, the bad and the ugly too!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
How about Marg Helgenberg (did I spell that right) from CSI. Look at her picture in the current issue of People "50 Most Beautiful People" and you say "What A Babe!" Now look at her on the close up of CSI in HD. She looks 20 years older! Your right HDTV hides nothing.

·
Super Moderator
18,373 Posts
Why do you think local TV stations are in no hurry to put HD cameras on their news sets?

I still think Marg is a babe. But Jorja's makeup is just TOO much.

Saw some un-edited bluescreen visible on the airliner episode, too. Something 4:3 sets would have missed. That's the fun stuff.

Doc

·
Registered
545 Posts
Films have had these problems for years. TV is going to be more like film

production now. We are going to see "Cinematographer" credits on TV

shows. Gee what a shame, TV producers are actually going to have to put

some work into making the picture look good on screen.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SVonhof
she took a breath after the door was opened
I saw this also and just smiled - kinda neat to know that I can see something that the networks aren't worried about anyone noticing! I love my HDTV!! I just wish there was more of it...

Maybe that's why nbc doen't do HD, we'd see how they butcher the ER scenes.;) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
577 Posts
The problem is it changed my complete viewing habits.

After beling spoiled by Mark Cuban, I have problem watching anything that's not HD. Last night I was looking forward to "Ruthless People" on the newly installed SHO-hd channel on my RCA38. It's not even widescreen, let alone HD !! I refuse to watch and turned to some other channel.

I had hardly touched my S-VHS since HD, in fact it's not even connected to the HD.

Used my camcorder once, looked terrible on the RCA.

To replace those, I'll have to wait for D-VHS, HD-camcorders, and HD DVD's.

DVD's are now really pretty lousy. Hard to imagine 90% of owners still havn't bought the STB, and still thinks DVD's look great on a HD monitor, because they haven't seen HDnet or the HBO hd movies yet.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Hard to imagine 90% of owners still havn't bought the STB, and still thinks DVD's look great on a HD monitor, because they haven't seen HDnet or the HBO hd movies yet.
I couldn't agree more. I have personally tried to convince three different people so far that they need to go to HD since they have the capability to do it. All have done it to some extent, one just doesn't have a dish yet, but does OTA.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by S. A. Moore
Films have had these problems for years. TV is going to be more like film

production now. We are going to see "Cinematographer" credits on TV

shows. Gee what a shame, TV producers are actually going to have to put

some work into making the picture look good on screen.
That's an incredibly insulting remark to those of us who work in the television industry and work very hard to achieve production values that, these days, rival features in many cases in spite of the fact that we only have a fraction of their shooting schedule. The cinematographer on a television program has the title and credit "Director Of Photography," exactly the same as on a feature, and has the same responsibilities. In many cases, directors of photography often work in both fields - television and features. The level of art and craft in television today is far, far higher than it's ever been. There are many very distinguished looking programs on television - try looking at shows like CSI, NYPD Blue, The West Wing, The X-Files, Ally McBeal, Alias, 24 - all of these shows are shot by award winning and award nominated cinematographers who on a weekly basis show an incredible grasp of their craft and great artistic sensibility. And that's only a very abbreviated list. A crass remark like yours is, plain and simple, a total insult said purely for the purpose of being cynical. When was the last time you spent a day on a production set that qualifies you to imply that nobody puts any care or work into achieving great looking images? Such flippant remarks may have a place in your personal conversations, but they have no place here.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Too bad the actors cannot hold their breath long enough to stop their heart from beating
Yeah, those actors who play dead people should really be DEAD, and not just faking it! Can you hold your breath long enough to stop your heart from beating? :D

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mmost, I agree with you that the shows are made very well. I keep telling people that all these shows, like the ones you mention (well, not all) and some others such as Jag, ar like mini-movies! Some, such as Alias, with it's continuing plot would be great if they were strung together in mini-marathons in HD. The only problem with linking the plots together so much as is done with Alias is that if you come into the show after the season has started, you have to try and figure out what the heck is going on. It helps to see the shows from the start of the season. I didn't have HD hooked up until September, and didn't know anything about Alias until probably November, so I missed a bunch of shows.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Quote:

I couldn't agree more. I have personally tried to convince three different people so far that they need to go to HD since they have the capability to do it. All have done it to some extent, one just doesn't have a dish yet, but does OTA.

I've had my HD STB for over a month now, and I can tell you I prefer watching HD movies (even if I've seen them before in SD) over many

DVDs. The video quality can be very noticeable and stunning over the

same movie in DVD.

Hopefully Hollywood sees this as a threat and starts pushing for the

HD-DVD.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I think they want to make money on the DVD now.

Then, they know in a year or so, they can come out with HD-DVD and resell again and make more money.

That is why new VHS movies are still out there.

They still continue to generate revenue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.