AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Copied this from over at the digital forum, says it all.

"I couldn't agree more! There are too many people with PJ's far too busy judging the picture quality instead of enjoying the content!

.....Forget the scan lines, the dust blobs, the screen door - relax and watch the movie content!

Addicted tweakers will find this very very hard to do!"

won't print the poster's name.

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just found another gem.

"After doing the flicker adjustment and a slight defocus, I don't see any scanline artifacts. "

and this

"Keep in mind that many people find that a slight defocus on the HS10 is also necessary to eliminate screendoor."

Are they actually de-focusing their projectors to blur the crappy picture so they can't see how crappy it is? Or am i just reading this wrong?

lets get a thread going here so we can understand them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If he's using a Digital projector (DLP/LCD) bringing it ever so slightly out of focus (and i do mean ever so slightly) can reduec the "grid" effect u might get (depending on screen size)

·
Registered
6 Posts
i woudnt call it de-focusing realy.. it sutcha a miniscule adjustment taht i guess on a crt u woudnt even notise u were out of focus (having only worked with Digitals, adn never seen a CRT picturer im not 100%)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
J.B - lol

Over here, our priority is image quality.

Over there, the priority is all the other stuff.

I'm going to the Canuck Shootout next week so that'll be the first time I've seen lots of properly setup and supposedly good/great digital projectors. If they suck I'll be the first one to say so afterwards.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a CRT. I spent many hours adjusting, converging and tweaking

to get the PQ as good as I could. But when I watch a movie or HDTV

show I do not touch any buttons until it is over. Except perhaps the

volume control. (Or possibly halting a very bad movie). After all I did

put together a home theater to be entertained as I would be in a

Cineplex or Grand theater. I watch and enjoy the content with very

good PQ too. Is that kinda like eating the cake too?

DH

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Even though I have messed constantly with my pj's, when I sit down to watch a movie, that's ALL I do...I bought my video display because I've always loved movies...not the other way around...suppose that's why I have more in my DVD collection than pj and sound system (at over 10 grand just in sound) And forbid I ever get ripped off! Take the gear...leave my movies!

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Oh here is another....

"It's really not right to defocus your digital projector to remove artifacts like screen door. The projector should be focused as tightly as possible. I just use glasses for anyone watching my projector and it defocuses their eye's."

lol

Terry

·
Registered
461 Posts
Usually when I am watching my movies with my CRT projector, I am sucked into the movie and story, the 3D image and the enjoyment I get, never been bothered by the lacks of blacks, screendoors, rainbows, etc...

CH Yeow

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CH Yeow
Usually when I am watching my movies with my CRT projector, I am sucked into the movie and story, the 3D image and the enjoyment I get, never been bothered by the lacks of blacks, screendoors, rainbows, etc...

CH Yeow
This is what they don't get. They can claim that a digital picture is sharper and brighter but the other tradeoffs just aren't worth it. The biggest problem with digitals is not the screen door, rainbows, etc... IMHO their biggest problem is the picture looks flat. I'm assuming that it's a combination of all the flaws that cause this. I have seen most of the newer digitals (12HT, TV3, HS10) and none of them had the 3D quality of a nice high end CRT.

Speaking of tweaking...This is the funniest, most ironic part of reading the digital forums. They all claim that digitals don't require the constant tweaking of CRT's. Just for fun browse the digital forums and see how many threads there are on how to tweak a certain digital projector to reduce rainbows, motion artifacts, increase contrast, etc...

·
Registered
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GScott
Speaking of tweaking...This is the funniest, most ironic part of reading the digital forums. They all claim that digitals don't require the constant tweaking of CRT's. Just for fun browse the digital forums and see how many threads there are on how to tweak a certain digital projector to reduce rainbows, motion artifacts, increase contrast, etc...
I agree here. What was once thought to be little tweaking machine turned out to be as much adjustments as a CRT. They put on some kind of "polarising filter" (reduce brightness but to improve blacks) defocus the lens, (become soft but to mask the screen door or pixels)aren't they are even softer and dimmer than CRT after all these?

Another good reason some offered to go digital is the small form factor of digital. The WAF.

However, some above $8k digital projector can be very close. I gotta say this.

CH Yeow

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
The solution is obvious:

To eliminate the problems associated with digital projectors, I just turn the bulb off.

Curt

·
Registered
392 Posts
The worst part about digitals is that not only do they often tweak the projectors to death, but in addition they often spend enormous amounts of time and money tweaking the screen, trying out various shades of gray etc. in an attempt to compensate for poor black levels, light spill and other shortcomings.

For my CRT I built a simple screen, painted it with ultra-white paint and haven't thought much about it since. My black levels are excellent.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I will sum it up like this:

When I had my digital PJ, I had a hard time concentrating on the movie and not get distracted by poor black levels.

Now, I still have a hard time concentrating because there are always times during a movie when it pops into my head how GOOD the picture actually is...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have to come to the defense of the digital guys and their "blurring".

From the world of high end audio, many find CDs sound better when "blurred" through tube amps. It makes the CD sound more live, more analog to add in that 1% of distortion. While I appreciate the tube sound, I personally prefer solid state.

So I can understand how taking a digital image and "blurring" it could make it appear more film like, more analog, if you will. And hence more enjoyable to some.

shoot

·
Registered
652 Posts
You know, unless there's a CRT-head trolling "our" forum, no digital owner bothers posting threads about CRT projectors (well, except for Q, but those are always worth it :D). But you CRT boys seem to periodically post threads devoted to patting yourselves on the back over how great your choice was. Why is that? I mean, if your projectors are so incredibly perfect, why the need for constant emotional reinforcement?

Is it that the large screen sizes made possible by digitals are making those of you with sub-100'' screens feel a little inadequate? Must be sad when you realize you have what amounts to a large TV, rather than a theater ;) But, as a CRT owner once told me, you can fix it by sitting closer ;)

Is it the fact that terms such as "convergence", "warm-up time", and "dim picture", and the annoyance that comes with them, are not part of a digital owner's vocabulary?

Oh yeah... Those of you making fun of those who defocus their digitals, have apparently forgotten all the chatter in this place about "getting the scanlines to BARELY touch" ;)

Edited because I singled out the wrong CRT guy ;)

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
These kinds of threads tend to go nowhere fast--lots of self-congratulation, back patting and Tim Allen grunts to reaffirm our love and devotion to CRT.

I'm sure someone over on the digital forum is posting about how CRT guys have to defocus their blue guns to get accurate greyscale...or that you have to add color filters to the lenses to get accurate colors...or that CRT front projectors have horrible brightness uniformity corner to corner...or that CRT front projector afficianados are typically forced to buy *used* (egads!) units because the few remaining new ones are uber expensive. It goes both ways, guys.

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jorus

Is it that the large screen sizes made possible by digitals are making those of you with sub-100'' screens feel a little inadequate?

Does someone here have a sub 100" screen? I did not know that. You must be talking about the Plasma boys.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.