AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The problem with the Dish 6000 unit and using the receiver for OTA reception is that when you loose the satellite signal you also loose the OTA signal. The unit comes up with a "loss of signal box" and your stuck until the sat signal comes back.

At first it doesn't seem like a big deal but after using the box in heavy rain it is. Here in Florida we get a lot of heavy rain so I loose the sat signal and my OTA signal all the time. I can't even check if the storm is passing!!!! I have to disconnect the line from the 6000 and run it directly to the TV.

I was hoping for a fix in the new s/w but it also has this problem.

Is this a big deal for anyone else?

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is not a big deal for me. I have a splitter that feeds the TV tuner also. A quick input change and I am still watching TV. It would only be a problem if it was an HD show ...but I can live with that. The splitter also lets the TV feed one of my VCRs so the Mits "guide" can control that VCR for recording. The DISH feeds the S-VCR for more important recordings ... which also require a better understanding of the system for set-up.

Impala Bob

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm with eff1 on this one. I was watching CBS the other night when a thunderstorm passed by. I am used to losing the sat. channels in a heavy thunderstorm, but I was disappointed and suprised to see my CBS reception change to an "acquiring satellite signal" in the middle of my show, too. This "mis-feature" has been in the software a long time -- I'm now guessing that it must be intended behavior to prevent people from buying a 6000, which is subsidized by Dish and sold below their cost, to people who intend to watch OTA TV only.

[This message has been edited by BenBroder (edited 07-20-2001).]

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
One way to accomplish both goals (OTA DTV rainfade with Satellite rainfade AND require that the 6000 is used by a Dish sub) could be to put the "last presence of satellite signal" on a timer - so that when you have a satellite rainfade event, as long as your "lost signal time" was less than some pre-determined length of time, you would still get OTA DTV. Maybe some value like 3 or 4 hours, maybe as much as 24-48 hours.

------------------

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
170 Posts
Although it is not that big of deal for me, just split the antenna coming in to the house to go to both DISH and directly to the the TV. Then you at least have OTA non HDTV in cases of storm. It sucks to lose the HDTV, but it is not the end of the world.

BUT, Scooper has a great idea that I hadn't thought of before. I am not sure how hard it would be technically, but it sure would be nice from a consumer standpoint. Also, Dish gets to ensure that we all still subscribe to them. GREAT IDEA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.