AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Highly recommended Blu-ray release. The look of the movie is well preserved. Its dirty, dusty and hot. No obvious "scrub job" here folks. Looks great on my 120" screen. Minor EE on some scenes but its not something distracting. No obvious artifacting. Much more consistent PQ. Using the latest codecs also helps


Code:
Code:
Total   Video                                             
Title                                                           Codec   Length  Movie Size      Disc Size       Bitrate Bitrate Main Audio Track                          Secondary Audio Track
-----                                                           ------  ------- --------------  --------------  ------- ------- ------------------                        ---------------------
The Professionals                                                AVC     1:57:29 31,733,366,784  35,480,980,307  36.01   26.06   Dolby TrueHD 5.1 4232Kbps (48kHz/24-bit)  


PLAYLIST REPORT:

Name:           00011.mpls
Size:           31,733,366,784 bytes
Length:         1:57:29 (h:m:s)
Total Bitrate:  36.01 Mbps
Description:    

FILES:

Name            Size            Length          Time In         Time Out        
----            ----            ------          -------         --------        
00011.M2TS      31,733,366,784  1:57:29         0:00:00         1:57:29         

VIDEO:

Codec               Bitrate         Description     
-----               -------         -----------     
MPEG-4 AVC Video    26059 kbps      1080p / 23.976fps

AUDIO:

Codec                           Language        Bitrate         Description     
-----                           --------        -------         -----------     
Dolby TrueHD Audio              English         4232 kbps       5.1 / 48kHz / 24-bit (AC3 Core: 5.1 / 48kHz / 640kbps)
Dolby TrueHD Audio              French          3967 kbps       5.1 / 48kHz / 24-bit (AC3 Core: 5.1 / 48kHz / 640kbps)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,823 Posts
Let me pipe in and say this is a great movie and the image on the Blu Ray disc is very film like but does contain some edge enhancement....I considered it minor AFTER the first ten to fifteen minutes.


I think it was not applied by any human and was the result of Sony's old equipment which had been known to add small doses of EE. That equipment was replaced in 2007.


Can you get some Golden Compass Blu Ray pics and compare to disc 2 Trailer pics which are also in HD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,574 Posts
There is a bit of edge enhancement but this is generally a good job.


If you want to see a GREAT job, look at Sony's A Passage to India.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,401 Posts
This is a great disc AV quality wise, my only qualm regarding it is the hideous computer-generated subtitles. But while this is merely aesthetic, once again they are placed outside the frame with no means to position them elsewhere. Added to this is the debate regarding whether the subtitles should be on period when there is Spanish dialogue makes for a bit of a damper on an otherwise excellent release.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,827 Posts
Subscribed pending the pics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /forum/post/14175415


Let me pipe in and say this is a great movie and the image on the Blu Ray disc is very film like but does contain some edge enhancement....I considered it minor AFTER the first ten to fifteen minutes.


I think it was not applied by any human and was the result of Sony's old equipment which had been known to add small doses of EE. That equipment was replaced in 2007.

Can you get some Golden Compass Blu Ray pics and compare to disc 2 Trailer pics which are also in HD.

Will take a look at it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon /forum/post/14183154


Will take a look at it.

Thanks....The trailer's color and contrast range is different but i think it shows more detail.


Back to The Professionals though.....For me watching a great looking film like classic 1960's movie on a big screen is my definition of "eye candy" - I enjoyed every single second of this movie and it did look fabulous. ( minor edge enhancement didn't distract at all )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /forum/post/14184082


Thanks....The trailer's color and contrast range is different but i think it shows more detail.


Back to The Professionals though.....For me watching a great looking film like classic 1960's movie on a big screen is my definition of "eye candy" - I enjoyed every single second of this movie and it did look fabulous. ( minor edge enhancement didn't distract at all )

Me too. Bring on the Sound Of Music.


Wait is this a Fox studio release?


Nooooooooooooooo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon /forum/post/14185475


Me too. Bring on the Sound Of Music.


Wait is this a Fox studio release?


Nooooooooooooooo

Not only is it Fox, it's another 65mm source!



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,995 Posts
This has to be one of the most striking set of BRD pics yet. The high frequency detail is there in all its glory. Looks great!


Could we get a pic that shows the EE that's been discussed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremmy /forum/post/14185553


This has to be one of the most striking set of BRD pics yet. The high frequency detail is there in all its glory. Looks great!


Could we get a pic that shows the EE that's been discussed?

The level of detail is indeed stunning, I think this would be called a huge upgrade to the DVD even for a layman.


If you go over to HTF you will see a few examples in the thread by Robert A Harris about the disc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremmy /forum/post/14185553


Could we get a pic that shows the EE that's been discussed?

the shot with the 2 guys in white shirts... the shadow across the one guy's shirt and his hat... it's definitely subtle EE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishFury /forum/post/14186133


the shot with the 2 guys in white shirts... the shadow across the one guy's shirt and his hat... it's definitely subtle EE

Thanks for pointing that out, Amish. I can see it now that you mention it. It's very subtle (and very well done, insomuch as EE can ever really be well done), but one has to wonder why they included EE in a movie that is so well defined without it....


Could this be the unintentional result of mastering equipment, as on a few of the other movies?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon /forum/post/14185475


Me too. Bring on the Sound Of Music.


Wait is this a Fox studio release?


Nooooooooooooooo

Not only that, but the SOM SE DVD looks like crap. EE is very obvious, visible color registration errors, not much detail, you name it.


Vern
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,994 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremmy /forum/post/14186269


It's very subtle (and very well done, insomuch as EE can ever really be well done), but one has to wonder why they included EE in a movie that is so well defined without it....

I don't know that the ringing is necessarily "Edge Enhancement" that was intentionally applied. The Blu-ray seems to use the same master as the 2005 Special Edition DVD, and at that time Sony's telecine equipment added some measure of ringing to just about everything. There has also been speculation that it could stem back to the source.


Whatever the cause of it, I personally did find it consistently visible and somewhat distracting throughout the movie, though the first 10 minutes or so are the worst and it tones down quite a bit after that. The disc still looks pretty good overall, but on my screen I found the ringing bothersome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
Thanks Xylon. I always enjoy your threads. Is there a website that reviews blu-ray movies properly? I usually check out highdefdigest but they don't seem to notice "the little things" that we see in the pics in your threads, like EE and DNR.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top