AVS Forum banner

For 10.000$, would you prefer a KURO 100" plasma or a projector ?

• I would go for the 100" Kuro.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only 100" ? Projection is the only way....

• Can I have both for 20 grand ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imagine a 100" Kuro Plasma display for 10-12000$...

Will you prefer it from an SXRD Qualia or the best DILA projector ?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I would prefer to keep the 12k in my pocket instead of wasting it on a TV. I would never spend more than about 4k on a TV. But that's me personally.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Plasma (or lcd for that matter) displays larger than 65"-70" really don't make much sense to me. If I really wanted to go large and had a bare wall big enough....a good front projector with at least a 120" screen is what I would go for.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 /forum/post/15575533

plasma (or lcd for that matter) displays larger than 65"-70" really don't make much sense to me. If i really wanted to go large and had a bare wall big enough....a good front projector with at least a 120" screen is what i would go for.

bingo!

And at a fraction of the cost!

·
Registered
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 /forum/post/15575533

Plasma (or lcd for that matter) displays larger than 65"-70" really don't make much sense to me. If I really wanted to go large and had a bare wall big enough....a good front projector with at least a 120" screen is what I would go for.

The benefit of the plasma would be you would not have to worry about turning down the lights, closing window curtains, etc. every time you wanted to watch the weather channel for a few minutes or catch the news.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would bet that the power consumption of a 100" plasma would be "off scale high..." but it at least would effectively heat the room!

I agree with joemama 127 and Nicktx27... I'd go the projection route and put the $$ I'd save in my mattress.

·
Registered
535 Posts
keep the money and buy a car...

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just helped a friend hang a 60" Panny plasma. I can't even imagine the weight of a 100". Plus, you'd probably have to have 2x6 or 2x8 wall studs to hold the weight.

PLUS, a display that big, would be impossible to get into many rooms, if you had to turn a corner.

Just doesn't seem practical AT ALL to me.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashX /forum/post/15577297

I just helped a friend hang a 60" Panny plasma. I can't even imagine the weight of a 100". Plus, you'd probably have to have 2x6 or 2x8 wall studs to hold the weight.

PLUS, a display that big, would be impossible to get into many rooms, if you had to turn a corner.

I hope that you all understand that it is a philosophical question (and poll):

The question is what the projector market would do, if such large screens comes to the market.... maybe in 3,5 or 10 years from now...

Don't get small things like weight, carrying, power consumption alter your vote !!!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

Quote:

Good points. A plasma that size would have to come with a floor stand capable of supporting the weight. The second problem, that of moving it through the house seems unsurmountable, though.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS /forum/post/15579027

Good points. A plasma that size would have to come with a floor stand capable of supporting the weight. The second problem, that of moving it through the house seems unsurmountable, though.

It is interesting to note that if OLED technology ever becomes economical and practical in large sizes, this would be the way to go. The displays can be both lightweight and flexible, very much like a projection screen.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonreno /forum/post/15576190

The benefit of the plasma would be you would not have to worry about turning down the lights, closing window curtains, etc. every time you wanted to watch the weather channel for a few minutes or catch the news.

My ideal media room would have a 50"-60" plasma mounted on the wall for normal tv watching, and then a motorized projection screen that drops down in front of it for movie watching. Turning down the lights and closing window curtains is still a good idea even with plasma...so this would also be easily controlled in my dream media room.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssak /forum/post/15575415

Imagine a 100" Kuro Plasma display for 10-12000$...

Will you prefer it from an SXRD Qualia or the best DILA projector ?

Does the $10,000 include the cost to knock down the basement wall for installation?

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktx27 /forum/post/15576254

Just have to worry about moving an 800lb display.

I fixed a dead CT-36HL42 220 lb.
CRT HD ready TV yesterday by replacing a $2 fuse.

My brother in-law & I, two 50-year-olds, managed to carry it up two flights of stairs (from the basement to the 2nd floor of my home).

It was not a pretty sight.

·
Registered
705 Posts

Quote:

And impossible to get it shipped in one piece.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts