AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a couple weird things about certain Radio Shack brand S Video connectors.

The good news is that it seems that both their powerless switchers and their powered splitters seem to be able to convert both S-Video into composites and composites into S-Video.

Now a couple pieces of bad news. With the Sega Genesis only having composite, to save plugs I use that to convert it to S-Video, and the video looks kind of checkerboarded and digitized.

Another piece of bad news is that sometimes an RF video, (pre NES) gets the chroma key lost on an Odyssey 2 and an Astrocade, back when you a decent chance to find them in the $5 electronic section at Goodwill.

First if the Radio Shack had all inputs and outputs the same (all S Video or all Composite), should those checkerboard artifrlacts not exist anymore?

by the way I'm going for his low ping as possible, so it's going straight to two places, the Sony Wega CRT TV, and the video capture card.

My Hauppauge Rocket needs a full strength signal in order to capture S-Video composite and components so I have to go through a powered multiplier first. unfortunately my powered multiplier also is a Radio Shack with both S-Video composites.
and apparently the ability to switch between them.

however luckily I have found two other capture cards that might work that might not need a signal boost in order to pick up composite components S-Video and HDMI. If those work then I could say forget the boosters.

Also linear entertainment can be captured directly from the component output of my DVD recorder.

i have 3 switchers with composite, 2 if then also have S Video, one it the RS with conversion. But only 2 multipliers, a component + composite one, but both simultaneously fail, and one S video and Composite, which converts both ways
i understand sound and picture can be processed in separate places.

is it true the more "outside" processing you do, the more you ruin a picture?

It seems like these multipliers only understand only languagenthrtr I'd processing, and not just signal boosting.

·
Administrator
19,526 Posts
Did I travel back in time? :unsure:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It one since you did travel back in time. I have a CRT TV with retro video games because a retro games look better with CRT TVs and B light guns only work with CRT TVs. I just now noticed this checkerboarding of the Radio Shack things. is that my imagination, is that normal, or is something broken. does inter converting between S-Video and composite cause checkerboarding and/or color loss meaning luma only picture?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts