AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Well if the Power is 55 wpc you will get 3 dB less sound than if it is 110. If it is only 11 wpc it will be 10 dB less.

My guess is it is around 40-50 wpc having played a very little with this unit (note I say guess - don't flame me). But in reality, a good clean 50 wpc is enough for most HT setups.

Now, I'm not absolutely convinced it is clean power, but I did find it better than the DE line Sonys. (and ended up buying a Kenwood VR 7070)

·
Registered
654 Posts
homecinemachoice.com did a review/comparison on the 912, and they measured it at 90wpc/2 [email protected], and 80wpc/5 channels @8 ohms. Go to that website, and click on hardware reviews and search under pioneer. The THD was also lower than you would think.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
those power rating measured in rms (root mean square)?

what about burst power, slew rate? you need good quality capacitors inside

also the pio elite series using mosfet which is fast and generate less heat

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
CZ Eddie - sorry just checked back in here after a while.

A few reasons:

1) I had seen the review on the 6070 (same unit as 7070 on the inside), with the very solid poer numbers.

2) I got to play with the two of them for a bit, 7070 sound was as good or better than 912 for the bad comparison situation I was in.

3) 7070 appeared to have more solid build.

4) I have had Pioneer consumer gear, and never been overly impressed. (I've never had Elite, but think I would rather like it)

5) No intent of using component switching (I'm a striaght cable kind of guy).

6) Don't use HT for serious music listening (have seperate stereo in other room) so I didn't really consider music.

7) Last (and rather least) THX options.

It was kind of a toss-up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.