Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"....the video was unavailable.".

That's the message in one of my UTV's history. It appeared about 70 times...once for each recording in "My Shows".

Now I've had some miscellaneous quirks every now and then with my UTV (and 120GB WD 1200AB harddrive), but I've never seen the UTV itself erase every single recording in My Shows.

Earlier today, the UTV was left on by a family member (it was in My Shows) and I noticed the screen saver was moving along the screen. A few minutes later, I noticed that the receiver was off. And when I switched it on...I got the "calling WebTV for update" screen. I've seen this one before and after un-pluggin the receiver for about 30 minutes, it powers up fine again.

Except this time, it appears that when I powered-up, UTV decided to erase the entires in My Shows for all recordings. This took only 4 seconds, based on the timestamps in the History.

So, anyone out there know if the recordings (files) still exist on the harddrive and its just a matter of re-entering their existence into the My Shows directory? If anyone has any suggestions on how I can hook the drive up to a PC and restore the directories, please let me know.

TIA,

SteveK

·
Registered
17,675 Posts
Well, technically the recordings should still be on the drive somewhere. The UTV (like any computer) should only write hash at the beginning of each file to indicate it can be overwritten. I'm not sure if there is a way to bring them back though. However, time is of the essence here as every new show that gets recorded decreases the number of shows that might be able to be recovered.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The files themselves are probably there....its the directory entries (My Shows) that'll indicate of the blocks on the disk are available or not.

Once I saw the recordings gone, I immediately unplugged the receiver. Even the buffer will re-use some of the space if its marked available.

Since I've got an HD receiver available in the same room as that UTV, I'll probably pull the drive during the week and put it into a PC to see what I can find. Was wondering if anyone knows how to hack the drive once its in a PC or if there's another site that explains it?

Not looking to copy the files off or anything....just to restore their availability for viewing on the UTV.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.