AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just recently bought my first home and am now ready to take on a Home Theater in my unfinished basement and looking to get all the extra tips i can get. I'm very young and dont have much experience doing construction but i have always wanted a HT. below are pics of my basement.

Screenwall:

Rear Wall ( looking opposite of screenwall)

Bararea:

in the end im shooting for a 120" AT screen with speakers behind screen along with a 4 18" Fi audio subwoofers in a line array fashion below screen.

Here is what i want the end to look like, the theatre and bar area with my own spin.

My questions......

I want to do the DD/GG sound dampening, is it crucial to do the rsic clips or will i be okay with out them i want to try and save as much ceiling and wall area as possible? Also what is the big different between whisper clips, isomax and rsic cips?

As you can see i want to build a false wall 2 feet off the back foundation wall. this make a 2 foot abrupt wall in the bararea as show by the pics and plan layout drawing. Do you guys have any ideas on how i could make the false wall tie into the actual wall in the bar area?

i hope this all makes sense and look forward to having your help during my construction process.

Todd

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If it were me, I would flip the screen and seats 180deg and put the pool table in the back of the room along with the bar.

It will make getting the sound right from the front speakers and it will keep the bar and the lights at the bar from being a distraction.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
That's what I was thinking too, except the right surround would be at the stairs and at a minimum, in a high traffic area. The rear surrounds in either case would be way too far back. The only way to solve that is the theater across the top of the plan (screen on bar wall). But it'd be a smaller theater area and you couldn't see the screen from every vantage point. That's the advantage of the current design.

As for tying the bar in with the wall, I'm not sure which corner you're thinking the picture would fit, but in any case, I'd put the cabinets / countertop across the top and left, between the false wall and the left wall. I'd also separate out the equipment (not sure why you'd want it mixed in with the bar anyway, unless that was the only space available), and put the equipment built into the utility room wall, on the upper right corner of the utility room, facing "up", so you can't see it from the seats (at least not the rear row). If the bar was as I stated, you could even build in DVD shelves in the wall next to the equipment for a custom, yet functional look.

I look forward to following this thread, as I have time. I have a lot of construction experience, though it's not my occupation, so I'll help where I can.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think your issue here is whether you want a true HT or an entertainment area with a projector. I'm thinking you want the entertainment area with the biggest screen you can get and I can understand that.

Here's a really rough sketch. That should hold a 10' wide screen, which is a great size and 2 rows of seats. Maybe you could hide that duct work in a soffit/shadow box above the screen. I'm sure some more experienced HT DIY guys around here will chime in. That would allow you to have "some" light control for the screen, but still have lights down by the pool table/bar area.

EDIT: I see now I didn't line up the seats with the screen, but you get the idea. That's why the counter facing the HT was held back from the edge of the utility room wall.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jeez, you guys pointed out some very good points. My biggest concern is I'm not going to live here forever and i dont have any kids at the moment (or that im aware of), but eventually i will. I do agree on flipping the area 180 degrees, putting the screen where the pool table is, but since there is a window there later down the road that could easily be framed in and become another bedroom. Being that im young for now i am going to make this more of a entertainment room as stated.

here is a picture of what i have in mind, do you think i should move the bar area to the wall that runs into the screen area? i guess why i put the bar in that area and rack built into the wall is to protect the equipment.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
A few observations:

- The false proscenium screen wall will look out of place (give it a non-built in look) if you have that front left corner sticking out. Find something to build into it (thus I suggested the cabinets go there).

- Don't do a triangle rack space if you can help it. Racks are long rectangles, and you want access to the back for simplicity (otherwise you need a more expensive, and annoying, setup where you have to slide the rack out and have it rotate so you can wire things behind it). Thus my suggestion to build it into the utility room, "top right" corner with respect to the orientation of your layout. It also doesn't look like you have anything physically there based on the pictures. It also will orient the rack away from your eyes so you're not distracted by LED lights, yet still work with IR remotes reflecting off the screen.

- If you might build a wall around the pool table for a bedroom, have two versions of your plan (even if the 2nd is rough).. one with it, one without it, so you can plan proportions, size, locations of doors, etc. Plan it now while it's only on paper and not in wood and drywall.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yes, I like your bar layout based on wanting more of an entertainment area and everyone seeing the screen.

+1 on having a row of built-in shelves or something to the left of the screen wall so it's flush along the front and building the rack into the utility room.

I wouldn't do the rack in the back corner of the bar. Just looks awkward. Besides you said you put it there to protect it, but if I'm reading your plans/pictures correctly, it's in the same corner as the water heater.

Also with all the bottles and the sink so close, a bottle could drop and break and splash alcohol all over the rack. I would build it in to the wall facing the seating area, as far away from the water heater as possible. You then access the back of the rack through the utility room.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More Great posts. cant thank you enough.

I agree the wall will look wild with such an abrupt edge to the barside, i was thinking sometype of built in cabinet or maybe just make a round wall there to tape it into the false wall nicely. the reason i am doing a false wall is too house a sealed enclosure just like this, with speakers behind the screen.

- Great point on the rack equipment being in the middle of bar, didnt think about splashes off the floor. I am throwing that idea out the window, good thinking becuase i will have a sink and such. I will relocate it, so its on the bar walls, i like the idea of facing it toward the seating area, but i know wandering hands with be more apt to touch it and such, agree?

my only last thought, which i think would be awesome, subwoofer wise cause i could do a line array, and use that whole room as enclosure, but i think the door going into that room would vibrate and be a huge distraction. i would also loose screen realestate. what do you think of this layout?

cant thank you enough for any feedback or help.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I'm still a fan of not being able to see the rack directly from the seated position. If you're watching in the dark, they can be annoying. You could cover them up though, so it's not a complete distraction. But facing toward the main room is also putting it in the main traffic area to the bar, so equipment will get bumped.

I'm definitely not a fan of the "new" plan you just put up, for a few reasons.. the bedroom is oddly shaped (and doesn't include a doorway which will take up more space), neither row of seats is centered on the screen, and good luck shooting pool 2-3 feet from the walls. The first plan is probably the most useful thus far (with minor tweaks as we've mentioned).

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah agreed the second plan is kinda weird. back to the original.

you think i should put the rack facing the seating? I do have home automation utilizing control4 and plan on using another control 4 remote ,so i really dont have to see the equipment i just put IR blasters on the front of the equipment and then utilize zigbee wireless.

decisions..decisions...i do agree though it would be nice, but i just have never had that much equipment in viewing site. all rooms in teh house will have all the equipment in one rack probably from floor to ceiling. do you think that will be a huge pain in the rear out of the corner of your eye?

also do you any of you know how to calculate vas requirement for 4 18" FI woofers. if i do a 144" long x 20" deep by 25" wide sealed enclosure will that be enough room for the subs?

also should i do rsic clips on the ceiling to dampen the noise to upstairs. Im already going to do DD/GG, or will i be okay wihtout the rsic clips?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I still like the 2nd plan (post # 5) the best with the rack facing the seating area. The last plan looks too cramped. You probably will have to rotate the pool table 90 deg to get more playing space too.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
radman, what I was saying is to face the rack away from the seating (toward the bar), so you don't see any LEDs from the rack. As ragged said, he likes it facing the seating area. Take your pick - it wouldn't change the actual location of the rack in the corner of the utility room.. just the orientation.

As for the VAS requirement, it depends on the specs of your sub driver. Look it up for that driver, and calculate from there, using a calculator such as this one . Obviously be sure to use the sealed box type.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
For what it's worth, I like the one Ragged showed in post #4 if you can make it work.

It just seems like a more natural flow to the room. You won't be turning everything on and watching TV every time you use that room. So it makes sense to have access to the bar area without needing to march past all the seating and then stare at a bunch of empty chairs.

My opinion of course. But if you can make it work, I like that idea the best.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H /forum/post/15619618

For what it's worth, I like the one Ragged showed in post #4 if you can make it work.

It just seems like a more natural flow to the room. You won't be turning everything on and watching TV every time you use that room. So it makes sense to have access to the bar area without needing to march past all the seating and then stare at a bunch of empty chairs.

My opinion of course. But if you can make it work, I like that idea the best.

+1, I second that thought!

Again, for what it's worth!

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I have to agree with the 2 posters above. That set up gives you all the width and depth that you need for your theater room. You can even wall it off if you wanted to.

You can still do your rack on the same wall that you showed last, but perhaps put a smoked door so the equipment lights aren't calling your attention.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
awesome i will do the clips and im going to chalk it out on the floor the second layout see if it works. i do like it thats for sure.

how about for subenclosure, i was thinking 4 18" FI IB3 subwoofers in a large sealed enclosure under the screen with dimensions of 160" long x 30" high x 20" deep.

will that provide some deep rumblin in your face bass? i want nasty crazy bass, that makes peoples inside hurt. does anyone know how to graph it out so i can see what i will get?

·
Registered
726 Posts
I would definitely go with the design in post #4, but I would go one step further. I would wall off the theater by continuing that utility room wall... making your theater room a separate room that would be 13'6" x 23'2"... That space, if it was determined later would be worth more as a bedroom as opposed to a theater, would make for a very nice guest suite and you'd already have a water supply nearby for a full bathroom...

There is one small problem that I see in that you don't have a bathroom in the entire space. That will be an important requirement as you don't want to have to go upstairs every time you have to pee. To add this, I would put a powder room right at the corner of the utility room and the theater and then put the bar on the opposite wall of where it is drawn in post number 4 and turn the long side facing the pool table. That way, you have a designated entertainment area, a powder room for common use, and a designated theater with fewer distractions. The theater could then be converted to a guest suite later (if necessary) with little to no impact on the rest of the basement.

As far as the theater, you could make a false wall for your screen wall, build a manifold, and use the space behind the wall for baffle space for an IB subwoofer. You are going to encounter EXTREME vibrations setting up a line array sub configuration, and a line array will require some very hefty reinforcements of that false wall. I think a better option will be to build a manifold behind that wall so that the sound is just as good, but the mechanical vibrations are minimized. Go to the Cult of the Infinitely Baffled for more information about this.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the layout you see of the basement is only a part of the basement, there is actually a full bathroom and a full bedroom too. i think im giong to stray away from the IB cause i dont have a space to vent too. instead i thinking of doing a large enclosure in a line array fashion under the screen separated from the false wall that the screen hangs on. good or bad?

·
Registered
3,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by radman12 /forum/post/15628641

the layout you see of the basement is only a part of the basement, there is actually a full bathroom and a full bedroom too. i think im giong to stray away from the IB cause i dont have a space to vent too. instead i thinking of doing a large enclosure in a line array fashion under the screen separated from the false wall that the screen hangs on. good or bad?

Your line array setup should be fine in a good, solid, sealed box. Vibration (other than the whole room during a good soundtrack) won't be a big issue in this setup like it would if you were building into an entire wall.

Also, be sure your box is not attached/touching your screen wall at all. My sub enclosure is built on top of the sand-filled portion of my stage, which is completely disconnected from the front part of the stage. The screen wall sits on the front part.

He're is a closer look at the gap between the two portions of the stage.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts