AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the relationship between throw distance(projector) and focus?

Can I use a pico projector with throw distance that less than minimum distance value?(in the projector's specs)

For example: Can I use a projector with this specs;

Code:
Projection Image Size (diagonal)    6 " ~ 60" (15.2 cm ~ 152.4 cm)
Projection Distance                 7.9 " ~ 78.7" (20 cm ~ 200 cm)
on 5" projector distance without any focusing problem?

If there will be a focusing problem, how can I handle this. With using some sort of optical system? Lenses?

*If question is off-topic please let me know and suggest another suitable platform in Stack Exchange community for me.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Usually when you go less than the minimum you might not be able to get good focus, you would have to try it. Does this projector have a zoom lens? Because it appears at 5" away you would only get an ~7" image, is that what you are looking for? I just don't see many people trying to make 7" screens.

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Much like a camera, once you are outside the tolerable limits of the optical system, you lose focus. Typically this isn't an issue as you move further away, but as you get closer it definitely is an issue. While there may be certain exceptions to this, the odds aren't good of getting acceptable focus from such a short distance unless it is specifically called out by the manufacturer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts