·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
My Wife and builder were riding around looking at doors, stone, flooring and the like. Now both of them have heard me say many times I am going to finish the theater myself. Just leave me the OSB drywall and framing timber and I will be happy. As we were looking for carpet for the rest of the house she says to the guy what do you have for theaters? My jaw must have been on the floor. He proceeds to show us some nice samples. I reminded her that with me building a stage and the like we needed to wait so they can properly measure the room. She is as excited as I am about the theater.

Here she is supervising the construction with my daughter. Hard to believe my daughter is 33 with 3 kids from that pic

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred  /t/1468993/the-retirment-dream-home-theater#post_23239645

Scroll to the top right of the forum, and click your user name. Scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll see the edit signature area.

How far south are you? Looks like south of Macon.
Appling whch is west of Augusta.

·
Registered
272 Posts
First of all thank you for your lifetime of service to our country! What a nice house plan. That many bedrooms might invite some family members to move back in with you though

A great size for your room. Lots of possibilities.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmiller  /t/1468993/the-retirment-dream-home-theater#post_23241183

First of all thank you for your lifetime of service to our country! What a nice house plan. That many bedrooms might invite some family members to move back in with you though

A great size for your room. Lots of possibilities.
thanks Dale I keep telling people I am still in because I do not know what I want to do when I grow up. Aside from that at key points when it was time to retire things would hapen which would incurage me to stay i.e 911

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yesterday I was on the phone with John from Sound Proofing Company and may I say what a great bunch of folks to work with. I made a modest contribution to Ted and John's retirement fund and I will be receiving some goodies on Tuesday or Wednesday. I found the hat channel I need with my builders main building supply company. They also carry all the screws I will need sheet metal for the hat channel and metal drywall screws 1 ¼” and 2”. I am going to have the builder order my second layer of subflooring and lumber to make my decoupled double wall in the rear. I also need some lumber for the nailers at both ends of the ceiling? That and hanging 340 clips should keep me busy next week end.

SEE HOW MUCH I LEARNED FROM JOHN!!!

THANKS JOHN AND TED!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ok I meat with the builder and the HVAC guy today. They have 4 ea 6" ducts running to the theater. I know it does not happen without PICs I promise to do better. Once I explained that I want to have my sound proof room and will be building Soffits to run the supply line and will need a return. I also said I may not want to heat and cool the room 24 hours 7 days a week and started discussing pricing for the zone control.

He said the best way to do what I want is to put in a ductless system from Mitsubishi which would probably run me about $2100. He said the benefit is that I can run it anytime I like and the recovery from off to on is really quick. Second benefit is that I now do not have to make 5 huge holes in my sound proof shell which I will then have to run in the soffits. I stated I had split units in Hawaii and the apt I am in now, they are loud and I do not like them. He claims they are really quiet he has one in his office and claims you do not know it is on. I looked on line and they claim from 19-22db. Does anyone know what that means noise wise. He claims that with the baffles in the zoned system when it is scaling back the air flow that it will be louder than the duct less.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
19-22 dB would be quieter than the fan on the majority (if not all) projectors, on low bulb. As long as you don't mount it right next to your head, you shouldn't be able to hear it - based on specs anyway. The Mitsubishi Mr. Slim seems to be a popular choice among AVS theater builders (among those who use Mini Splits), maybe an owner of one will chime in with personal experience.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
You need to find out what the measurement conditions were for the 20 dB quoted by the HVAC guy. It could be simply a Sound Pressure Level (SPL) measurement at a specific frequency, which would not be very useful. Noise Criteria (NC) is derived from measurements across the audio spectrum, and is a standardized specification.

If you look at the NC chart in the link, you see SPL (dB) on the left, and Frequency across the bottom. Pick a frequency, go up to the NC20 curve, and read out the corresponding dB level on the left.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Looked at the Mitsubishi Mr Slim specs. Their indoor evaporator units range from 19 dB (A) on low speed, to 49 dB(A) at high speed. The (A) means A-weighted, which is what you can measure with your Radio Shack SPL meter.

19 dB (A) is real quiet, 49 dB (A) would annoy me.

I am planning to use a ducted mini-split, so the fan unit will be outside the "soundproof" shell of the room.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Yeah I forgot I was going to mention that - if it was hot enough that you had to use something other than the lowest setting, it would be audible (and 49 would be very audible). But maybe manageable if the room was cooled off with the high setting in advance of use, and then set to low during the movie.

21 - 40 of 408 Posts