AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RME is a German Pro Audio company that's been around for 20 years. They have been producing top quality audio gear for recording studios and musicians. The DAC is the first product that they have made for the average audio consumer. It has features that you can find in $5000 DAC's and some features that they don't have. Audio Science review has an extensive review of the DAC and the June Pro Audio Magazine Sound on Sound has a nice detailed review. Some of the features include a Steady Clock that reduces jitter to femto-seconds. That measures to one quadrillionth of a second. Most clocks are measured in pico seconds which is one trillionth of a second. The dynamic range is slightly above 120 db. It has It has balanced,RCA , coax, optical and USB connections. There are outputs for headphones and IEM's. What you won't find any DAC's is a 5 band parametric EQ. This allows you to due dual EQ for headphones. Being it is a fact the hearing out of both ears is not the same it allows you for each ear. There are also bass and treble tone adjustments. There is also a mono option. The loudness function is also unique. You can decide how much max gain you want in bass and treble at the lowest volume setting. It adjusts the gain automatically as you raise the volume. You also get a remote. The booklet is about 65 pages and very well written. My local dealer brought this in about 2 weeks ago. He already sold out. He let me take the demo home and the next day I went back and bought one. It's hooked to my Bluesound Node and the improvement in detail, soundstage and dynamics has been significant. Cost is $1099. I'm sure there are some features I forgot. But you don't have to spend $2500-$5000 for a DAC. An excellent product. Check out the RME website to learn more. This product is available at Guitar Center on line.:)

·
Registered
220 Posts
the ADI-2DAC and Schiit Gumby (yggdrasil) R2R and the Denafrips Terminator are the three on my list
i would like to her a ladder DAC

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the ADI-2DAC and Schiit Gumby (yggdrasil) R2R and the Denafrips Terminator are the three on my list
i would like to her a ladder DAC
I've had the RME for about a month and really impressed w/it. Very flexible w/lot's of options. The loudness control is different as it controls the gain and the bass w/the volume. Excellent clarity and dynamics. I'm using short delay slow w/a slight increase in the treble. Not another DAC in this price range that can touch it. Check out Audio Science review and look at the measurements and review of both the Schiit and the RME. You'll be surprised by the result. The DAC really improved the sound out of my Bluesound Node.:)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Not another DAC in this price range that can touch it. Check out Audio Science review and look at the measurements and review of both the Schiit and the RME. You'll be surprised by the result. The DAC really improved the sound out of my Bluesound Node.:)
so the RME was reviewed to sound better than the Yggdrasil-Gumby, or tested better?
this was the ladder R2R DAC ver of the Yggy?

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so the RME was reviewed to sound better than the Yggdrasil-Gumby, or tested better?
this was the ladder R2R DAC ver of the Yggy?
Go to review and measurements of the Schiit Yggdrasil V2 DAC. They also have a Review and Measurements of the RME ADI2 DAC. Also an excellent review of the RME in the June Issue of Sound on Sound magazine. Highly respected pro audio magazine.:)

·
Registered
772 Posts
Someone on another forum I read got one of these and compared it favorably to an older model Benchmark he also owned which is high praise in my book.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Someone on another forum I read got one of these and compared it favorably to an older model Benchmark he also owned which is high praise in my book.
When I demoed this DAC w/a Chord Qutest no contest on the feature list. The RME did much more. The Chord DAC's didn't have Balanced outputs, the RME had both RCA and Balanced. If your into Headphones, you have outputs for both over ear and IEM's. The $2600 Hugo 2 has that. The RME also has parametric EQ. This provides for a dual EQ function. RME stated that it's a known fact that the hearing ability of a human is not equal out of both ears. So you can EQ each ear for your headphones. Haven't found a DAC that has this function. I may be wrong but I haven't found one. You get a lot of bang for your buck for $1099.:)

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
hmmm, interesting. I have some minor hearing loss in my right ear and listen to headphones a lot. This may be the ticket.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The British Magazine Hi-Fi+ gave the RME an excellent review in the current January issue. Synthax which distributes this DAC is currently sold out. My local dealer is now on his 5th order. Excellent pro audio product.:)

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I'm currently researching DACs and looking at the RME and the Chord Qutest. I love the sound of the Qutest but I would prefer to have more outputs (XLR) since I plan on buying an amp next year the uses XLR. I'm also looking at the MiniDSP SHD which uses the same chip as the RME.

·
Audio Engineer
2,032 Posts
Looking at an ADI-2 FS myself.

Coming from a Proceed AVP2 with Levinson No 40 DAC/DSP.

I used an RME Babyface Pro in my Lab for five years and really loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Class A

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The RME has a lot of features that you won't find in many DAC's in the same price range. One nice option you have on U-tube RME has a 25 minute step by step video on how to operate their DAC. Google RME ADI 2 DAC walkthrough. :)

·
Audio Engineer
2,032 Posts
The RME has a lot of features that you won't find in many DAC's in the same price range. One nice option you have on U-tube RME has a 25 minute step by step video on how to operate their DAC. Google RME ADI 2 DAC walkthrough. :)

How is sound stage width/depth on the RME?

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How is sound stage width/depth on the RME?

The sound stage is excellent. Also the detail of the instruments is better. Drums, piano, guitar etc. have a realistic tone. Also the late night loudness control is excellent for low volume listening. SQ is there w/a lower setting.:)

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
When I demoed this DAC w/a Chord Qutest no contest on the feature list. The RME did much more. The Chord DAC's didn't have Balanced outputs, the RME had both RCA and Balanced. If your into Headphones, you have outputs for both over ear and IEM's. The $2600 Hugo 2 has that. The RME also has parametric EQ. This provides for a dual EQ function. RME stated that it's a known fact that the hearing ability of a human is not equal out of both ears. So you can EQ each ear for your headphones. Haven't found a DAC that has this function. I may be wrong but I haven't found one. You get a lot of bang for your buck for $1099.:)

Just comparing sound quality between the RME and the Qutest, which did you prefer? I continue to hear the Qutest is the best DAC under $3K. But like you say, the RME sounds great and has a plethora of features for under $3K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: BufordTJustice

·
Audio Engineer
2,032 Posts
The sound stage is excellent. Also the detail of the instruments is better. Drums, piano, guitar etc. have a realistic tone. Also the late night loudness control is excellent for low volume listening. SQ is there w/a lower setting.:)

Excellent info. Thank you.

Just comparing sound quality between the RME and the Qutest, which did you prefer? I continue to hear the Qutest is the best DAC under $3K. But like you say, the RME sounds great and has a plethora of features for under $3K.

I keep hearing the same about the RME. Except, in a broader context, and without the caveats of equipment matching that typically seem to follow praise of the Qutest.

My use case will be, initially, to feed the DAC by a coaxial S/PDIF from my network streamer (Currently a BS Node 2) and maybe the output of my Apple TV 4K via the optical or on my TV.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

The sound quality is on the neutral side. This DAC is based off a pro studio DAC where you want to hear the original recording. However there are plenty of options as a 5 band PEQ if hooked up to a microphone will give you room correction. There is also a choice of 5 filters. For headphones you have Dual EQ for each ear. This is based on the fact that no two ears hear at the same level. This is a well made DAC that gives you a lot of options that many DACS do not have unless you spend a lot more money.:)

·
Audio Engineer
2,032 Posts
Just ordered the newest version of the ADI-2 FS (with the AKM 4493 DAC chip) from SFB Electronics.

They have a friends of RME account that you can apply for. Put in a non-EU address and VAT disappears.

I’ll advise once it arrives.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts