Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

here is a little story of my XG recal experience this week. It started with reading Guy Kuo's post about an 'alternative' way to do the CPC magnet astig (Great work, Guy, as always. Unlimited kudos!).

Whenever someone comes to demo my setup, there are a few titles that are certain to be shown.

For example i typical demo could start with the jungle opening in 'Rules of Engagement' for its sensational sound mix and the perfectly smooth, incredibly detailed picture without any hint of EE. An almost unmatched audio-visual experience at reference level.

But the colors in this sequence are very pale and washed out by intend. So i know that my visitors think "Great, but ugh, no color saturation at all!" to themselves...

Hehe, to compnsate for that, the next title often is the 'The Rock: CC', namely the car chase in the middle and the baby doll scene in the beginning. This transfer is increadible. The contrast and dynamic range is unheard of, unlike any other. The color saturation is perfect. And detail wise this transfer is unbelievable, supported by quite a bit of VERY high frequency EE. Apart from several scenes where this leads to halos which pollute slihouettes, the apparent detail throughout the movie is basically unmatched.

Last week, just for fun, i completely redid the mechanical and electronic astig and focus setup on my XG and refocued my lenses painfully accurate, to maybe gain another 5-10 percent in beam tightness and focus. Then, i took the time to get the main resolution/ratio (2.35:1) on my constant area screen into perfect convergence, because the mechanical work threw it off quite a bit, as would be expected. Usually, i get my convergence 95% perfect even without ANY use of point convergence, but because i was in the 'perfection' mood, i tweeked it to 100% in this ratio.

I got the red gun about 10% tighter spot-wise, and it was already increadible before. The green gun, which is slightly less tight than the red anyway, didn't improve much. The blue gun also improved quite a bit, which is not really needed, because i ever so slightly defocus blue anyway for increased accuracy in gray scale tracking. Redid color temperatur with extra care as well.

Then, to test the result, i threw in 'The Rock' and was blown away, like every time. I don't know if it was really noticable better than before, but it reminded me how much i appreciate this transfer.

So i took some screenshots with this new perfected setup and this marvelous title as a 'shrine of appreciation' for it. Due to the special care this screenshot session got fom me, i think they turned out even better than the older ones.

You can find the screenshots on my homepage (signature).

Here is a smaller sized teaser, the others are larger:

http://www.peopleindustry.de/BjoernR...ges/Teaser.jpg

Enjoy!

Regards

Bjoern

Btw. I would appreciate it tremendously if someone could tell me which telecine and compression machinery was used for this title. Due to the similiarity to the EE characteristic in Saving Private Ryan, i would guess it was a Spirit telecine and probably a C-Cube E3 based encoder (Minerva?).

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Side Note,

Are there two versions of the Rock. I have the earlier version and it doesn't look as great as yours even through my HTPC.

I have an NEC 6PG put the version I have seem to have more artifacts.

Thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm sure the screen shots (even with extra care) pale in comparison to seeing that image in person. If I could get my 9PG even close to that type of picture I wouldn't be selling the damned thing.

Justin

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bjoern, great job...as usual :)

Art, I found this right on Bjoern's web page:
Quote:
One of the special things about my home theater is, that i am neither using a constant height scenario (like you would with a 2.35:1 screen), nor a consant width scenario (like you would for widescreen movies on a 1.78:1 screen), but rather a 'constant area' methodology. That means 2.35:1 movies are displayed at full 9' width with 46" height. 1.85:1 movies are shown at 8' width, but at 52" height. 1.33:1 material is a little less than 7' wide and 61" high. This is made possible with a CRT projector and my 4-way maskable screen. 'Constant area' projection is IMHO by far the best methology, because the brains 'size sensation' is perceived through area, not width or height.
Hope that helps answer your question :)

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Bjoern Roy

I'm just cuious if you've seen the film "Romeo and Juiet" by Baz Luhrman on DVD? I'm cuious about your opinion of it on the anamorphic version? I was just watching it, and the color saturation and depth was amazing. I'm not an EE expert like you, and frankly don't hardly notice it, but I didn't think this title had it at all. I just got the anamorphic disk, as the earlier release was in non-anamorphic widescreen. Have you seen it? What do you think of the quality? It looks lush on my XG852.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I take it that the pain was worth it. :) Happy to hear of someone trying out the alternative astigmation technique and having success.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the kind words.

Art,

Quote:
This may have been mentioned elsewhere but, what are the dimensions of your 2.35:1 constant area image?( inches would help but cm OK).
Since i have a completely variable 4-way masking system, i can change this to whatever i like. Not larger than 300cm, though, thats how wide the actual screen is.

Currently, i have it slightly bigger than the numbers on my webpage. The 2.35:1 picture is no longer 9' wide, but actually 3" wider. The other dimensions/ratios scale accordingly.

gn2,

sorry, i haven't seen Romeo And Juliet yet. Glad to hear you like it, though!

Guy,

Quote:
I take it that the pain was worth it. Happy to hear of someone trying out the alternative astigmation technique and having success.
Pain? Ah, you know people like you and me. Even though changing something as fundamental as mech. astig basically means you have to do a complete setup from scratch, its a lot of fun. If its an actual improvement in the end, its the icing on the cake :)

Once i find the time and can collect my thoughts on the issue, i have a few questions for you on the astig method. Thanks again for giving me a reason to fiddle around again :D

Best regards

Bjoern

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.