AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in case anyone has been procrastinating about picking one of these up, Radio Shack has discontinued these great (but terribly ugly) antennas. That isn't to say that they are impossible to find, as many stores still have them (at least in the Austin area), but I would definitely start looking if you've thought about picking one up.

And to sing it's praises once again, I live in Leander, TX, and have absolutely no problem picking up the CBS affiliate in Waco, about 60 miles away.

Good luck!

-L

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
A moment of silence please...........

·
Registered
532 Posts
One of the great ironies of HDTV is how such an awfully ugly piece of equipment can give such stunningly beautiful images.

Long live the Double Bow Tie!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got one last weekend at the new RS at Parmer and I35 (in the same shopping center as the new HEB). They had 3 more left.

Works well indoors for picking up KXAN, but not Waco or FOX. Soon I will

try moving it and/or adding a big honkin' Yagi in the attic. Wife is not gonna allow anything outdoors....

·
Registered
429 Posts
I really don't think it's ugly. I have it on top of a shelf on a wall unit, and everyone thinks it's a piece of sculpture. I do too.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The Channel Master double bow-tie is almost identical, and I think prettier. I hope that hasn't been dropped too, like the Parascope.

PS: Antenna still shows up on Channel Master web site:

http://www.channelmaster.com/pages/ia1.htm

This one looks like the RS one I think, but the one I got has a kind of bronze finish instead of brass and black.

·
Registered
64 Posts
MIne is on top of the TV and most think it is a piece of art work and always ask what is it.

And as they say "all good things must come to an end........"

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i love the fact that this primitive looking thing gets my HD channels PERFECTLY. I have come to love the ugly looks of it!

i noticed one strange thing. PLugging the antenna directly into my tv (internal receiver) had some channels dipping very low in signal stregth. i added a 3ft run of coax wire (antenna is in the same place though) and i'm getting max signals on all 4 of my locals. is the coax acting as an antenna amplifyer?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I think its a dumb move by RS upper management!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Or perhaps it's a marketing ploy so they could resell it as a speciality 'digital tv' antenna for $80.

Hey, it works for monster cables!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
From the description on the CM page, they don't think it's ugly.

Model 4149

Allegro UHF Antenna

A style leader in bow-tie design for top UHF performance.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I also have a new one that I never used and didn't get around to taking back to the store. Send me a PM if you are interested.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I too have an extra RS Double Bowtie if anyone's interested. I use the SilverSensor instead. Please PM or e-mail me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.