AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
7,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the begining of my modified TM design from HT Guide. It uses the RS28a and the RS225 (8") midwoofer. These will be wall mounted for side surround and rear (ES) channels. I shortened the cabinets so they wouldn't stick out from the wall 15" as originally designed. The new depth is 8" which reduced the cabinet to about.5 cu.ft. . Since I XO at 100hz it may add to the rolloff be reducing the lowend frequency response.

I've purchased two Behringer A500's to power them (arriving soon).I found someone who was still selling @ 179.00 shipped.

As always I give those guys great cudo's for handing out great XO designs and support.I'll post picks as I go. I'm looking forward to 7.1 with more oomph.

I'm expecting a little rise in the bass response, being so close to the wall, so I'll put my old Ashly PEQ's to work in flattening out the response.

· Registered
375 Posts
Very nice. I'm actually going to build these same speakers except I can't afford everything until the summer

BTW, I just built the enclosures in the past 3 days, but DAMN do yours look nice! Very nice flush fit. What kind of sander do you use?

*Maybe I'll post pics if I'm not too embarrassed by the comparison

**It's also my first build and first time working with wood since I was probably 12

· Registered
7,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gir_1337 /forum/post/0

Very nice. I'm actually going to build these same speakers except I can't afford everything until the summer

BTW, I just built the enclosures in the past 3 days, but DAMN do yours look nice! Very nice flush fit. What kind of sander do you use?

*Maybe I'll post pics if I'm not too embarrassed by the comparison

**It's also my first build and first time working with wood since I was probably 12
I have a cabinet maker build them for me. He does great work and very reasonable.

· Registered
375 Posts
Here's what I have so far. Right now I just need to finish up with a little more silicone and finish spray painting the back (ran out of spray paint
). I'm going to put the adhesive veneer on the main body then. Once I finish spray painting the back I'll put some liquid nails on it and screw it in place. I'm not going to cut the holes in the front baffle until I get the drivers (this summer).

The front baffles look really nice with your own eyes. The camera makes them look kinda bad

· Registered
1,864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/0

Here is the begining of my modified TM design from HT Guide. It uses the RS28a and the RS225 (8") midwoofer. These will be wall mounted for side surround and rear (ES) channels. I shortened the cabinets so they wouldn't stick out from the wall 15" as originally designed. The new depth is 8" which reduced the cabinet to about.5 cu.ft. . Since I XO at 100hz it may add to the rolloff be reducing the lowend frequency response.

I've purchased two Behringer A500's to power them (arriving soon).I found someone who was still selling @ 179.00 shipped.

As always I give those guys great cudo's for handing out great XO designs and support.I'll post picks as I go. I'm looking forward to 7.1 with more oomph.

I'm expecting a little rise in the bass response, being so close to the wall, so I'll put my old Ashly PEQ's to work in flattening out the response.

looking good Dave....

· Registered
1,395 Posts
Wish I could find a crossover for a version with the Seas TBFC/G tweeters I'm using for the mains and center.

· Registered
1,875 Posts
Yeah, there isn't a seas version although I'd be VERY interested in building a pair of these with a Seas tweeter for two reasons. 1. I;d get a chance to see which sound i prefer since i've had months of experience with Dayton's Rs28a ( which tend to come alive when there is more power on tap). 2. To hear something different than the norm

· Registered
1,083 Posts
I thought silicone was a no-no, in that the vapors could attack the surrounds on the speakers?

Looks nice KG. We are practically neighbors, might have to look up your cabinet maker when I come around to a matching center for the wwmt's...

· Registered
5,642 Posts
lol. I dunno where this business about fumes "eating away" or "attacking" rubber surrounds started...maybe when foam surrounds were more common, but some fumes (the ones that come from the materials used in speaker building anyway) won't do anything to the rubber surrounds in use today.

· Registered
375 Posts

Quote:
I thought silicone was a no-no, in that the vapors could attack the surrounds on the speakers?

This is true only if you seal it up with the speakers. Once the silicone cures (24 hours) then there are no more fumes emitted. From what I've heard it would take years to cause damage, but again that's only in a sealed enclosure. Oh yeah, f you sit around the fumes for a while it will make you dissy, naseaus, and quite irritable I found out lol.

Lesson of the day: Don't spray paint and use silocone in a closed room at the same time. Makes ya slightly whoosy

· Registered
7,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital desire /forum/post/0

Looks nice KG. We are practically neighbors, might have to look up your cabinet maker when I come around to a matching center for the wwmt's...

He builds well, and the price is right. He's still trying to get me to build something other than gray boxes

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.