AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on the debut novel by Hunter S. Thompson, "The Rum Diary" tells the increasingly unhinged story of itinerant journalist Paul Kemp.

Adapted and directed by Bruce Robinson, starring Johnny Depp, Amber Heard, Giovanni Ribisi, Aaron Eckhart, Richard Jenkins, Marshal Bell, Bill Smitrovich and Michael Rispoli.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
As a fan of Fear and Loathing, I believe one HST movie is enough.

Fie! We need as many Hunter S. Thompson movies as we can get, if they are done well (or well done, or totally baked).

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood /forum/post/20874393

As a fan of Fear and Loathing, I believe one HST movie is enough.

Fie! We need as many Hunter S. Thompson movies as we can get, if they are done well (or well done, or totally baked).

TG's Fear and Loathing WAS done well (very well IMO).

I am not so sure other works can "translate"....

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
At the time...I enjoyed Where the Buffalo Roam quite a bit. F&L made me nostalgic for those daze and I thought Depp more than nailed it. Benicio was a bad trip and not how I envisioned the character at all.

Depp is probably still partaking...recreationally

I have no problem with another re-imagining, though I'm not sure if my head can still find parallel experience (or want to) enough for me to embrace it.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Like Ron, I enjoyed Buffalo Roam. F&L did not translate well for me, so..

On the fence or I've had enough - can't decide. Much of this is in our face now, so why revisit the gonzo? Let's face it, they're either dead or publishing at Asia Times (pepe anyone?) or on RT.com

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/20875389

So, you don't think this looks good?

Absolutely it does, the trailer grabs me.

But I can't judge a movie based on that alone.

We'll see....

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
 http://www.indiewire.com/article/rev...fers_but_serv/

However, “The Rum Diary” still has enough spirit to turn it into a sufficiently entertaining romp in between the lulls. It’s not essential Thompson, but even Thompson-lite has firm appeal. As the movie approaches a descent into mayhem and then pulls back, it remains—against all odds—a fairly sober history of journalism’s loosest cannon.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Horrible. What was the point of this movie? Depp getting drunk? Viewing the slums of Puerto Rico? It may make you feel like you need to take a shower afterward. I came away with nothing and felt nothing towards Depp's character. The only redeeming value was looking at the beautiful Amber Heard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.