AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The theater room side walls and back wall will be a very dark flat brown and the first 4feet of the ceiling above the screen will be the same brown paint with the rest of the ceiling a lighter tan color.

Now the wall behind the screen can be dark brown also but as you can tell this room is looking like a hollowed out little Debbie brownie.

So here is the qustion, can the wall behind the screen be a lighter color or would that mess with the image alot ?

This will be a lights out bat cave when watching a movie but it would be nice to have this wall a lighter color for the non-movie moments..It is just looking a bit ugly with all the dark paint..

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
If you don't want to see the wall surrounding the screen, you will need to paint it a dark color--preferably black. This is because most projectors have some light scatter or leakage outside of the image. Some enthusiasts even go to the trouble of covering the screen wall with black velvet. This can make the image appear to be floating in mid air.

Having said that, if you don't mind seeing the wall around the screen, the light coming therefrom isn't going to affect the image in any significant way, because the wall is in the plane of the screen. Unfortunately, no matter what color you decide on for the screen wall, a dedicated, dark walled home theater does not make a very good room for light conversation over crumpets and tea. Best to move on to a brighter room for that, IMO.

·
Registered
49 Posts
FLBoy: I've heard about people putting up velvet on the screen wall itself. How would you attach velvet material to a wall without causing too much damage and have it as flat as possible? I'm interested in doing this myself.

To the OP, it's tough to make a dedicated theater room not seem so ... theater-y when you're not actually watching movies. I have the same issue. I think it's all about what compromises you're willing to make. how about some lighter colored accents (baseboard, fake columns, crown moulding, etc.)?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
cantthinkofaname- If I did not want to damage my wall, I'd probably make one or more floor-to-ceiling length, rectangular panels out of foam board or thin plywood for each side of the screen. I'd staple the velvet to the panels and hang them like pictures.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname /forum/post/18299983

FLBoy:

To the OP, it's tough to make a dedicated theater room not seem so ... theater-y when you're not actually watching movies. I have the same issue. I think it's all about what compromises you're willing to make. how about some lighter colored accents (baseboard, fake columns, crown moulding, etc.)?

This Uncle Willie build has that NOT SO "theater-y" look and I like it, very nice job.

I think most on AVS might want there room much darker.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post8604761

1 - 7 of 7 Posts