AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought and watched "Standing in the Shadows of Motown". This a great disc for any music lover.

I saw the film in a theatre when it came out and loved it. For those who haven't seen it, it's basically a documentary on the Funk Brothers, who were THE band behind all the great Motown artists/hits. The film is a mix of interviews, stories, and new live performances of the surviving Funk Brothers playing old Motown classics with more contemporay singers like Ben Harper, Bootsy Collins, Chaka Khan, Joan Osborne, Meshel Noegedcello, and others. The musicians who made up the Funk Brothers are some of the best ever. This film does a good job paying tribute with some great stories and very cool performances.

The disc is 1.85:1 widescreen with very good PQ.

There's 6.1 DTS-ES, 5.1 Dolby-EX, and Stereo DD soundtracks.

The audio quality and surround mix are 'Excellent'.

There's a second disc of extra features, which I haven't viewed yet.

Highly recommended.

BTW - I bought the disc at Best Buy (not normal) for $19 and it's got a $5 rebate (bonus!).

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry - I should have posted this in the existing thread on this film. I tried to move my post, but couldn't delete it. Oh well. This film is good enough to warrant 2 threads anyway:)

·
Registered
776 Posts
I just got this DVD and, while I love the movie, I hate the Meshel Noegedcello numbers so much that I feel compelled to comment. She is terrible and has absolutely no sense of Motown sound and rhythm. While I'm sure she's quite good in her own element, she should never have been asked to perform in this movie.

On the other hand, Joan Osborne is a natural. She was born a generation too late as she would have made an outstanding Motowner.

·
Registered
65 Posts
On a side note-

While the Funk Brothers were/are among the all-time greats, a number of big Motown hits were recorded on the west coast by some of the session musicians that Hal Blaine has dubbed "The Wrecking Crew."

These are the same group of musicians who played the instrumental tracks for Phil Spector's productions, some of the more complex Beach Boys material (including Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations), a number of the Monkees tracks, plus countless other songs from the 60's.

For an interesting read go to www.carolkaye.com. Carol was the bass player on a number of Motown west coast tracks and is among the greatest bass players you've ever listened to (and when you read her list of sessions you'll be amazed at the number of songs she's had a hand in).

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Harbor-----Kaye makes some claims which are controversial to say the least. She claims to have played on songs that others, including Motown singers and producers, claim were played by Jamerson. There's a website out there that goes into detail about this, if interested do a search under James Jamerson and you'll find it.

West Coast session musicians are too "cool" for this kind of music which was best done by the Down Home and Great Migration types like the Funk Bros, The MGs and other Memphis players and the various house bands in Muscle Shoals. Those guys in Philly were pretty good too. But West Coast? Pa-tooey! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.