AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is the better PJ?

I am on the fence here and want to upgrade PJ a 720p PJ from my current Infocus 4805. My room 16" long with 8' ceiling. Screen is 92" Dalite white matte and I have total light control. Room is painted burgundy throughout. Black level, contrast , shadow level are very important to me. My screen is 29.25" off the floor now and I have no plan to change that since I have my center speaker on a 20" stand and don't plan to buy another. Can you guys give me some input as to which PJ would work better for my situation and give me what I am looking for in terms of PQ? I am also willing to spend more on the Sharp Z12000MK2 if the cost is justified.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon /forum/post/0

Which is the better PJ?

I am on the fence here and want to upgrade PJ a 720p PJ from my current Infocus 4805. My room 16" long with 8' ceiling. Screen is 92" Dalite white matte and I have total light control. Room is painted burgundy throughout. Black level, contrast , shadow level are very important to me. My screen is 29.25" off the floor now and I have no plan to change that since I have my center speaker on a 20" stand and don't plan to buy another. Can you guys give me some input as to which PJ would work better for my situation and give me what I am looking for in terms of PQ? I am also willing to spend more on the Sharp Z12000MK2 if the cost is justified.

Flip a coin. They all deliver the goods.

Know the 12K is long throw and the other two Sharps are short throw.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Both are high quality machines that you would be happy with. The Sharp has higher calibrated contrast and is brighter than the Mits but it is also louder in operation. I would just pick the one that fits your current mount distance best and go with that one.

Moe

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Mitsubishi has a much larger vertical offset and I'm not sure if it would work with where your screen is currently. You should try the calculator they have on their website to determine its proper placement.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I upgraded from a defective 4805 to a Sharp DT-500 earlier this year. Although I loved the Dt-500's picture and easy setup (i.e. low offset), it was just too loud for me with my ultralow ceiling (80"). Plus, with it's short throw, I had to have the DT-500 mounted between me and my screen which also made it seem louder! I ended up taking it back to the warehouse after about a hundred hours and bought an open box HC3000 at Best Buy. Even though the Mitsubishi has a much larger offset than the Sharp, it wasn't much more than my original 4805 and I made it work with suprisingly little keystoning! I would say that the HC3000's picture is not quite as good out of the box as the Sharp but it is still extremely good. And it's alot quieter than the Sharp also! I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to the Mitsu calclutor if I mount the PJ 4" from the 8' ceiling, I could project a 92" image and still have the bottom of the screen 29.5 off the floor. Did I get this wrong?

Waynenuit, are you saying the DT-500 is even louder that Infocus 4805?

·
Registered
81 Posts
No, but it was almost as loud and since it was about a 1.5 ft. in front of me (instead of 1.5 ft. behind me as with the 4805) it was simply more noticeable and annoying. I found myself looking up at it all the time, especially while watching TV dramas such as Lost, 24, etc. (which seem to have alot more quiet times than the movies I watch). It didn't seem to bother anyone else in the family but it drove me nuts!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The DT-500 might be louder than other projectors, but I don't understand the fuss. Just had family over and was watching TV at regular volume with the DT-500. I asked them what they thought about the projector noise and they said, 'what noise?'. I had to point it out to them. It is ceiling mounted 3' over our heads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.