------------------

Joe

"I'm a Dapper Dan man!"

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Joe,

I know that you're preaching plenty of lumens for plenty of punch, and I tend to agree. This is also my main concern with these dim first-generation 16:9 DLPs, especially on a Grayhawk.

What is the 21N replacement called? When? Rez? MLA? ANSI? Contrast? HDCP? Scaler? Price?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi NiToNi,

I assume, that the new DWIN 16:9 dlp could be the ideal solution for you. There are two different bulbs resulting in ~ 800 Lumens vs. 1500 L. .

Walter

------------------

Graz, home town of the Terminator...

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
The lack of HDCP or 5C is a concern. I thought the projector looked somewhat better on a DaLite than on a Grayhawk, so Grant's idea isn't a bad one. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Try this and this , then just TRY to get to sleep tonight.

------------------

Joe

"I'm a Dapper Dan man!"

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JHouse:

Yowza! Sometimes when going from a dark scene to a bright screen, my plv60 will make me squint. With the lumens those things are putting out, you may wanna keep a welders mask handy. The black levels would be awesome!

Johnny

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
no DVI/HDCP- Looks like you won't be getting a projector soon. If the Greyhawk is so dark at that size why not go as someone else suggested for a Da-Lite. And lastly if you find the Sharp dark then that also rules out the Seleco HT300 and the US version of the Marantz. This leaves the DWIN as a possible solution but again as DWIN, Seleco, and Marantz haven't announced a DVI/HDCP connection looks like as I said you will be waiting for a while http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif Maybe next year after the trade shows?

Thankfully both of these issues don't effect me.

Spero D.

[This message has been edited by Spizz (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
364 Posts
In a light-controlled room, the Sharp is never too dim for me and very pleasant to my eyes (in fact I haven't turn up the brightness on both the DVD and NRS yet). But with some ambient light, the image will degrade from OK to unwatchable depends on the amount of light. I simply try to make my curtains to block everything during daytime so that it gives same viewing pleasure all the time.

BTW, the bluish images we saw on those posted images are really from the DC, the projector is very accurate in colour. So far, all my guests comments are "film-liked", "fine and smooth details", and "wonderful colours".

Cam

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Cam- My room is fully light controllable so I doubt I am going to have a problem with the light level from the Sharp when I get it. I have been using my Sony 400Q for a long time and I expect the Sharp's output to look like the Sun compared to the Sony http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Spero D.

[This message has been edited by Spizz (edited 10-09-2001).]

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
But with some ambient light, the image will degrade from OK to unwatchable depends on the amount of light.
That's exactly what I was afraid of. Will only accept "degrade from fabulous to OK.

Quote:
I have been using my Sony 400Q for a long time and I expect the Sharp's output to look like the Sun compared to the Sony
Not the point. The 400Q isn't my reference by far.

Quote:
If the Greyhawk is so dark at that size why not go as someone else suggested for a Da-Lite.
Keeping my 100" Grayhawk 16:9. Want brightness AND good black level and no hotspotting.

Quote:
The lack of HDCP or 5C is a concern.
Yepp, I agree.

Quote:
no DVI/HDCP- Looks like you won't be getting a projector soon.
Well, there is talk about new PJs w/HDCP being announced at CES 2002 in January.

Quote:
So you noticed Joe what time it was here when I posted. Well, I took your advice and went to bed after all.

The Sanyo looks fine but is not 16:9 and the PLV-60, that I have seen several times, is IMHO not good enough. Saw the DPX-1 last weekend- nice with OK blacks, but too dim and terrible rainbows. Almost had nausea after watching it for 1h.

Quote:
I assume, that the new DWIN 16:9 dlp could be the ideal solution for you.
I'll look into that one Walter http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Quote:
Not the point. The 400Q isn't my reference by far.
Never said it was. Just explaining my position. Best of luck in your search.

Spero D.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jeff,

You're right, we won't see HDTV in Europe in the foreseeable future. However, recored HD content is another matter. As far as I understand, as soon as the new D-VHS tape decks will become available and the HDCP standard is in place, Hollywood movies in HD will go on sale. This could be as early as beginning of next year. Thus, import a D-VHS player and the HD tapes, just like we are importing R1 DVDs today, and you'd be able too see HD even here in Europe http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif . I would not want to pass up on this opportunity if I were to invest in a HDTV rez PJ today, which could be the case if it lacks a HDCP interface.

Spero, have you been able to see the Sharp for yourself yet?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.