AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The showdown begins in my house between these two sets, Samsung HP-R4252 and the Panny TH-42PX50U... and also a showdown with my wife :) This will be long but I think you will laugh.

O.k. let me catch you up. I hated the picture on the HP-R4252 SD and DVD (Dark scenes in particular. Those of you who read my threads on the Sammys flickering and skin tones will remember. I decided to switch to the Panny.

So, the Panny showed up on Monday and they were suppose to take the Sammy away but didn't because they did not have the special box to pack it in. Someone was going to come later and they didn't. Oh well! I have the Sammy set up in the bedroom for now and the Panny in the Living room. Wife is sleeping while I'm setting them up.

I cannot believe the difference in SD, DVD and HD on the Panasonic. Stunning! Even reg cable HBO, Cinimax, News, DVD(any DVD) you name it, it looks fantastic. No flickering, picture is smooth and skin looks real! I , and let me say I again so you know what I mean am so glad I made the switch.

My beautiful wife wakes up, comes out to see and gets totally ticked because I ruined her Whole decorating... I'm not kidding...TICKED she hated the way the Panny looked from the first instant she saw it in the living room after having the Samsung in there for 3 weeks.. Her love affair with the style of the Sammy came out in full force. Suddenly she hated the house she lived in.. WOW right. But I'm like, look at the picture.. it is so much better. Mind you, she complained about the picture on the sammy a few times. No help, she didn't care. She wanted her pretty looking TV.

She begins to pick the Panasonic to pieces. Glare, not as bright, UGLY, speakers suck and so on.! Begging to keep the Samsung instead.

What is a man to do, I ask you? Last night I had to same programs on both TV's and there is no comparison.. the panny's picture is so much better. My problem is that when I watched movies on the Samsung, I was so distracted that I could not follow the plot sometimes. That will not happen with the Panasonic.

She is coming around this morning but the list of new decorating has begun if I keep it. She does have great taste and I love her since of style. but come on honey I say... can I please keep my TV?

Here is a breakdown, pro's and con's for anyone debating these two sets from someone who has both in the house at the same time.

Sammy pros HPR-4252

Style (for the ladies opinion), speakers, glare is very minimal.. Color is more saturated for those of you that like the exaggerated colors(Not me).. I like the remote style better. More user controls, options. Feel better about Burn in due to the Pixel rotation.. there is no mention of it on the Panny. Viewing angle is better..

Sammy Cons

Flickers badly on SD and some dark scene DVD's. . Skin tones are bad and not smooth..Background blob. DNIE cannot be turned off thus making your user controls not effective. I can't watch this TV without getting upset.

Panasonic Pros

Perfect picture, what more do I need to say? That is why you buy a TV! I can watch anything without cursing at it. After seeing HD on both sets, I give the Panny the nod.

The color saturation is more natural, window like.

Aspect solution for 4x3 is great. Full screen looks normal, not stretched.

Panasonic Cons

Speakers compared to the Sammy are not as good.. if you get this TV.. make sure you have surround sound.

Glare is very noticeable in the middle of the day if you have Slider or Window nearby.

I hope you didn't get bored reading this. Hopefully by the time they come to pick up the returned TV, my wife will calm down and take a liking to the Panny. If not, I feel sorry for the delivery guy because my wife will be kicking and screaming holding on to the Samsung crying and begging as it goes.

Delligatti

·
Registered
933 Posts
They don't understand us and we don't understand them. It's pointless to try. Hopefully she'll accept the Panny. Funny story.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Tell her as most of us do that she has say over the rest of the house (except for any area set aside exclusively for you) and you have the say over the electronics. End of story.

If she doesn't calm down it sounds like it's time for a new wife. A man has to have his priorities straight.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
Right. Occasionally (very occasionally) the MAN has to put his foot down and over-rule the WAF. This normally extends to the areas of home electronics and yard toys. :D

Buy her a dozen roses and beg for forgiveness…

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity
Right. Occasionally (very occasionally) the MAN has to put his foot down and over-rule the WAF. This normally extends to the areas of home electronics and yard toys. :D

Buy her a dozen roses and beg for forgiveness…

The funny thing is.... I'm at work all day and she is home all day..... She could pull a fast one one me when they come to pick up the Samsung. :) If she does that, I will just sell her Toyota Sequoia and buy her a minivan... She would hate that but all is fair.. right?

If you read this sweetheart, Im just trying to be funny , O.k. I would never do that! :)

Serious, We get along great..this kind of arguing is done with smiles...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Heh... In our house, it was all about the 50" Sony XBR PDP, "the one with the floating glass design..." My wife just fell in love with it, and wouldn't look at anything else. It took me weeks and weeks (and many trips to B&M stores) to convince her that 1) the PQ on the Sony is not as good as on other, more recent models, 2) Sony is overpriced for what you get, and 3) Sony is abandoning the plasma business.

Finally she came around, but the only other panel she could live with was the (you guessed it!) Samsung. My HP-R5072 is going to be delivered sometime next week.

I am of course disheartened to read all the negative feedback on the Samsungs, esp. since I ordered it after spending many weeks shopping around, comparing models in various stores, playing with settings, etc. My wife pretty much ruled out the Panny 500U because of its looks, perceived lack of brightness, and flatter colors. I must say I agree with her, at least on the PQ. I feel the Panny's picture, while more natural, is less eye-catching. Blasphemy, I know!

Oh well, I'll have the Sammy set up in a week, and if I can't stand it (like Delligatti couldn't), back on the truck it goes, and we are back to square one... :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bode
Heh... In our house, it was all about the 50" Sony XBR PDP, "the one with the floating glass design..." My wife just fell in love with it, and wouldn't look at anything else. It took me weeks and weeks (and many trips to B&M stores) to convince her that 1) the PQ on the Sony is not as good as on other, more recent models, 2) Sony is overpriced for what you get, and 3) Sony is abandoning the plasma business.

Finally she came around, but the only other panel she could live with was the (you guessed it!) Samsung. My HP-R5072 is going to be delivered sometime next week.

I am of course disheartened to read all the negative feedback on the Samsungs, esp. since I ordered it after spending many weeks shopping around, comparing models in various stores, playing with settings, etc. My wife pretty much ruled out the Panny 500U because of its looks, perceived lack of brightness, and flatter colors. I must say I agree with her, at least on the PQ. I feel the Panny's picture, while more natural, is less eye-catching. Blasphemy, I know!

Oh well, I'll have the Sammy set up in a week, and if I can't stand it (like Delligatti couldn't), back on the truck it goes, and we are back to square one... :)

Don't be discouraged yet... your opinion may differ. I need a smooth picture, some people won't notice it. Maybe I had a dud. I also still watch a lot of SD so that was a big factor for me. Sammy's HD looks good, don't get me wrong.

I hope you like it still be excited for the arrival and don't mention it too your wife yet.. Just watch it and see if you like it. I am curious of your findings though if you care to email after you watch it for a couple of weeks... Also, if you find it to be anoying, call Samsung, they are aware, and have them send someone out because they could tweek it to your satifaction for free. I did not do that because I had waited too long and my 30 days was almost up.

Delligatti

·
Registered
93 Posts
Seriously, many of us are in the same boat. My wife goes out and buys sequined pink flip-flops and then complains about my TV? :)

Might be too late in your instance, but things we did: put the display behind some folding cabinetry doors. I know, the trendy way to mount the plasma is on the wall, and doubt we will ever close the doors in practice, but this way she could decide on the cabinetry color. We also are going with the professional TH-42PWD8UK model which comes in black (although I hear it is really a dark gray? hard to see in stores). The black finish blends in much easier with the background decor instead of sticking out, and gives the same picture. The lack of speakers also makes the display a little less massive looking, and going through the 5.1 speakers should not be a big deal if you mostly watch movies anyway.

Wonder how long until they come out with a pink bezel? (C'mon someone fire up your photoshop)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
My wife and I often disagree on home decor (door knobs, light fixtures, toilets, you name it). She likes things more ornate (some-what gaudy in my opinion), and I like things with a relatively simple and clean look. We're usually able to find a compromise (i.e. not as nice as the one I like, but not as ugly as the one she likes).:) But, when it comes to home electronics, she completely defers to me. She simply doesn't care much about HT and computer stuff.

Delligatti,

Good luck with the new Panny, we've had ours almost three years now and still love the picture.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Many of us have the WAF issues. My wife likes the looks of the pannys but does not like the look of the sammy at all due to the gloss black frame. All kidding aside, it took alot of WAF consideration for the plasma selection process.

JCPZero

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Whats so great about the physical looks of the Samsung? Looks like everyother plasma out there to me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Chemist
Whats so great about the physical looks of the Samsung? Looks like everyother plasma out there to me.

Mad Chemist, I am actually surprised that my wife likes the look of the Samsung, but she does, ever so passionatly. It looks to me like Bacholor style... Black , sleek, with a blue led circle in the middle.. I think the panasonic has a more sophisticated look.

If you don't like the picture, it doesn't matter what it looks like.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Your going to just have to put your foot down like I did last week. My wife and I got her a new Honda. I wanted a graphite pearl [ I like dark colors ] and she wanted silver. I told her that we were getting the graphite and that was it. See pic:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delligatti
Mad Chemist, I am actually surprised that my wife likes the look of the Samsung, but she does, ever so passionatly. It looks to me like Bacholor style... Black , sleek, with a blue led circle in the middle.. I think the panasonic has a more sophisticated look.

If you don't like the picture, it doesn't matter what it looks like.
I hear ya. Women can be funny. I personally prefer the clean, simple look of the commercial Pannys. The consumer Panny and Samsung are really close. Maybe she will go for that.

http://www.tvauthority.com/itemimages/hpr4252.jpg

vs

http://www.tvauthority.com/itemimages/TH42PX50U.jpg

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
i was fortunate my wife liked the panasonic for the pq and so did i she always lets me pick the electronics and i always let her select everything else for the house and its worked great for years. but trust your own eyes and always ask what your spouse thinks if thier happy you will be if not nobody is.

·
Registered
130 Posts
lol..my girl and i just got back from CC and best buy..and she dont like the look of the panny either..ohhh well 2bad for her HAHA

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.