AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So after having many projectors over the past couple years ranging from low end to mid end I was excited and anxious to mount a SIM2 C3X Lumis in my own theater. Having just had a JVC 990 and owning an Epson 9500 for direct comparisons I went in with an open mind. Knowing the MSRP of the Lumis I was expecting to be blown away. And I was...

The first movie I watched was Couples Retreat on Blu ray. Sure it looked excellent on the other projectors but on the SIM2 it was definitely next level. My new girlfriend (Jaclyn) who watched the movie on the 990 with me said it best when she said it was like she could hug the people on the screen. The image depth is astounding. The colors are also first rate. This 3 chip 1080p DLP projector is the best image I have seen to date. Any screen shots will not do it justice. Seeing it in person is the only way to truly appreciate the C3X. The last DLP projector I viewed was of course a single chip with the dreaded color wheel. More on the image later on...

The Lumis has a beautiful body. Yes, I am talking about a projector. Elegant is probably the better word. My favorite looking projector had always been the Sony VPL VW200. The Lumis with all its curves is more sexy. The remote is simple to use although I prefer Exit, back or return instead of ESC. One thing I need to mention is the sound. The Lumis is by far the loudest projector I have had in my theater to date. I would think most would probably opt for the Long Throw Lens (T3) and it wouldn't be a factor anyway. On the back are all the inputs. Two HDMI 1.3 which do support Deep Color (upconverted color from a Blu ray player to 36 bit) and some oldies but goodies S-Video, Composite (RCA) and Component inputs. And there is RS232, a USB and Ethernet connections. Obviously there is enough for any and all applications. SIM2 has made the back look like a well equipped space station.

Movie viewing... The color depth is amazing. The contrast is also solid (rated) at 35,000 to 1. Combine those with exceptional brightness and its easy to see why the image is so extraordinary. Using Texas Instruments DC4 (DarkChip4) DLP chips with SIM2's DynamicBlack feature helped make my jaw hit the floor. The razor sharp image whether I watched a movie or sports left little to be desired. I started with Zombieland, Couples Retreat and The Box. All were displayed about as close to "as good as it gets" than any projector I have seen before. Details on faces and clothing stuck out. The colors were spot on. The Lumis has a nice CMS (Color Management System) which help achieve the very accurate skin tones. I also found the Adjustable Iris to be very helpful when dialing down the image. I was able to see great shadow detail in night scenes. The Strangers, Vacancy and Friday the 13th (all on Blu ray) were at their best. As the would be victims were running and looking for a hiding place it was cool seeing exactly what they were as if you were there.

Sports... Of course football (my favorite) is over but I still recorded the Superbowl. I was pleased how well the depth of the green grass from the field looked. Colors on uniforms were nicely done and you could even make out scratches on some of the players helmets. If I had more time with the Lumis I would check out basketball and of course some baseball. Either way it is safe to say sports are not lacking on the C3X.

Final Thoughts... There's really nothing else to say about the SIM2 C3X Lumis projector. It is hands down the best image I have seen and I am willing to bet most would agree as well. Water and beaches have never looked so inviting. Not to mention beautiful women on my screen. I will have to "live" with other projectors until the day comes when I hit the lottery and can afford one. As soon as the newer 3 chip 1080p DLPs come down in pricing the LCD market will have plenty to worry about. Still though, price aside the SIM2 deserves and lives up to all the hype. My biggest concern now is trying not to remember how "real" the image looks since I am sending it back soon. I will need the Memory Loss Device from Men In Black! Kudos to SIM2 for the elegant and impressive work of art called the C3X Lumis.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.