AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched "The Sixth Day" today on Showtime HD. Although it was a lousy movie, it was by far the best motion picture in the HD format that I've seen and in OAR, with 5.1 sound. The clarity and color was outstanding and the print had no visible grain. Any other comments ?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I didn't see the movie, and the schedule could be wrong, but the Showtime schedule at sho.com lists The Sixth Day as an OAR Upconvert.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RZ
I watched "The Sixth Day" today on Showtime HD. Although it was a lousy movie, it was by far the best motion picture in the HD format that I've seen and in OAR, with 5.1 sound. The clarity and color was outstanding and the print had no visible grain. Any other comments ?
It was not even in HD. It was listed as an upconvert and it definately was an upconvert. It looked like a DVD to me.

Couln't stand watching it for more than 5 minutes.

bb

·
Registered
237 Posts
It looked very good on my RPTV. It was by no means on par with the Best true HD I have seen (such as The Patriot) but I would certainly call it the best Up-convert I have watched to date. I have the DVD, which I think is for the most part very good to reference quality, and feel the Showtime version is noticeably superior.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I watched it and thought that it was fine. I'm new to HDTV but I find it completely novel that I can watch a DVD-quality show from a broadcast source. I imagine that my standards will be completely readjusted once I get my hands on a JVC D-Theater setup but until then I thought it looked good.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bb1987

It was not even in HD. It was listed as an upconvert and it definately was an upconvert. It looked like a DVD to me.

Couln't stand watching it for more than 5 minutes.

bb
Hmmm, looked like a DVD to you eh? And you couldn't stand watching it for more than 5 minutes.... Well, if that was due to the picture quality you must not watch many DVD's.

The PQ was awesome for an upconvert on my 57in RPTV. Probably the best upconvert I've seen.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Looked just as good as "Pitch Black".

Hammer

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
It was a tad soft, but definitively HD, with gorgeous colors you don't find on DVD.

Pitch Black is listed as an upconvert.The Japanese BS version is also an upconvert.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TomRiley

Hmmm, looked like a DVD to you eh? And you couldn't stand watching it for more than 5 minutes.... Well, if that was due to the picture quality you must not watch many DVD's.

The PQ was awesome for an upconvert on my 57in RPTV. Probably the best upconvert I've seen.
You're right I don't watch a lot of DVD's and I don't have to because I have over 800 true HD movies in my library.

But if Robert says that it is HD I respect his opinion and I just may give it another try. Maybe it is just in my head to accept the fact that it was listed as an upconvert and make that thought block me from wanting to watch the movie.

bb

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
bb,

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Since I also respect your input, I gave it another try. Look for example around 15 minutes after the beginning when Awnold is presented a contract after the remote control helicopter flight, you can clearly read the fine prints!

The city background is also way to clear for this to be an upconvert.

But I can see what make you stop watching: EE! It sure can made you think it's an upconvert :mad:

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by robena
bb,

But I can see what make you stop watching: EE! It sure can made you think it's an upconvert :mad:
I don't understand what that demonstrates. I've seen EE on some HD transfers.

It sure seems that some viewers decide what to watch more by the media it's on and how's it's labelled than by actually watching the image, like those who refuse to watch Showtime upconverts simply because it's an upconvert. It's something I'll never understand.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Well, personally, I don't watch upconverts because I have exactly the same results with DVDs and my Faroudja. Compared to HD, they are fuzzy and drab.

Upconverts are not HD, there are not worth the time spent to record or in my case get a recording, since I have anyway the DVD.

As for EE, it's much more rare and less pronounced with HD than with DVD. When you see a lot of EE, 9 times on 10 it means it's an upconvert, and on the 10th time, it can make you doubt if you are seeing HD or not.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
God I love these upconvert debates. First bb says it's so obvious that it's an upconvert he wont give it 5 minutes. Then robena weighs in saying theres no doubt. Then bb says he'll better check again. But in the thread linked below where this movie was first discussed bb says he thought it was HD at first then after watching it again says: "I originally thought "The 6th day" was HD quality but after projecting it on my regular 2:35 screen which is about 12 feet wide I suddenly realized that this movie is NOWHERE near HD, and basically unwatchable on that size screen."

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ht=the+6th+day

Man, I'm so confused. Now bb needs to watch it yet again to see if he thinks it's an upconvert or not?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DP1
God I love these upconvert debates. First bb says it's so obvious that it's an upconvert he wont give it 5 minutes. Then robena weighs in saying theres no doubt. Then bb says he'll better check again. But in the thread linked below where this movie was first discussed bb says he thought it was HD at first then after watching it again says: "I originally thought "The 6th day" was HD quality but after projecting it on my regular 2:35 screen which is about 12 feet wide I suddenly realized that this movie is NOWHERE near HD, and basically unwatchable on that size screen."

Man, I'm so confused. Now bb needs to watch it yet again to see if he thinks it's an upconvert or not?
Thanks for reminding me. I had forgotten that I made that determination earlier.

bb

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Anybody, especially me, can make a mistake when just watching a few minutes. Recently, I have mistaken the first minutes of Affliction with an upconvert, while it was just the worse HD transfer I ever saw, but HD nonetheless.

But if you sit and watch the movie for real, it becomes rapidly obvious.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by robena
bb,

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Since I also respect your input, I gave it another try. Look for example around 15 minutes after the beginning when Awnold is presented a contract after the remote control helicopter flight, you can clearly read the fine prints!

The city background is also way to clear for this to be an upconvert.

Yes the EE is what did it, and that combined with the fact that showtime labeled it an upconvert, I guess my brain wouldn't let me watch it anymore.

Maybe it will show up as D-Theater or on Wowow, but it's not really that great of a movie anyway from what I hear. (I've never seen it).

bb

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
No prob bb. It just that my head starts to spin. I'm beginning to think that when it comes to movies, if it's a movie I want to watch I ought to not get too caught up in whether it's a great DVD transfer or a lousy HD transfer or a great upconvert or whatever; just sit down and enjoy it for the content. I wonder if thats possible. ;)

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DP1

I observed the same running contradictions. It's so absurd and sad that it's not even laughable. It rings of the OAR debate. I'm so glad I can just sit down and watch something and not even think about whether it's an upconvert, HD, or DVD. If the picture looks good, then fine with me.

I wonder how many of the upconvert haters saw "The Perfect Murder" on HBO. It was uniformly thought to be a terrible looking picture. Worse than the DVD. Yet it was an HD transfer. Would the upconvert haters watch this over an upconvert that most of us would feel looked better? I suspect so, since it was a true HD transfer--ignoring the fact that it was one of the worst HD transfers I've ever seen.

That's the problem with the upconvert haters and black bar haters. It's so easy for them to get confused as their pretzel logic will eventually fail them. I guess it really is laughable. My DVD collection is quite treasured. I'll never toss them simply because I have an HD transfer on tape. If that tape should get damaged, I'll still be able to immensely enjoy my DVD.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Quote:
I wonder how many of the upconvert haters saw "The Perfect Murder" on HBO. It was uniformly thought to be a terrible looking picture. Worse than the DVD. Yet it was an HD transfer. Would the upconvert haters watch this over an upconvert that most of us would feel looked better? I suspect so, since it was a true HD transfer--ignoring the fact that it was one of the worst HD transfers I've ever seen.
I'm not at all surprised (anymore) that some channels can occasionally manage to show a very bad HD movie. But while I don't even get Showtime I'm increasingly fascinated by the reports of how well some of their better upconverts even manage to fool people.

I'm not claiming it is real HDTV but I'm even enthused by watching & capturing digital Buffy in SDTV. And I think the idea of basically having a station run its stuff through a very expensive scaler before sending it is a nice idea, at least if they are mostly on the road to HD. (unlike Fox)

HDTV Magazine recently interviewed Glenn Oakley, Senior Vice-President of Corporate Strategy for Showtime and he explained somewhat of what they were up to here.

Quote:
Our goal and strategy when we launched in January of 2000 was to provide the ultimate viewing experience for our subscribers. That would be whether in regular NTSC, or in HDTV. We have also added Dolby Digital 5.1, and done a lot of other digital things to deliver the best resolution and audio possible...depending, of course, on the source material. Sometimes we don't get, or are unable to secure, the (HDTV) rights to certain content. We try to do a superior alternative, which is these widescreen OARs (Original Aspect Ratio) upconversions. For those we take the Digi-beta masters, which have an output of well over 260 Mb/s, to make the transfer. We are using widescreen content with wonderful bit rates to provide a superior product.
So if stations are going to upconvert we should at least laud them for doing a good job of it.

- Tom

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.