AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dennis (we all know which Dennis, right?) is designing a theater for me, and I must admit I've not given him much to work with. We have 3 possible spaces; the current one being 13' 9" by 15' 8" with a door on the long wall. Dennis' task is to fit 5 people with a 8 foot wide screen in that room. Perfectly reasonable, don't you think? :D (I'll settle for 3-4 and a smaller screen.)

Do you have a small theater? If so, what were you able to accomplish in terms of screen size, seating capacity, and viewing distance? Most of all, got pictures?

Once I'm underway, I promise I'll post a link to pictures of mine.

Thanks,

Sam

·
Registered
104 Posts
My HT measures 13.7 x 10.3 feet with a 7.8 foot ceiling. I'm still in the consruction phase, but I'm going to use a 85 inch wide 16:9 screen and I plan to sit about 10 feet away from the screen (head position). I will use a couch as seating, but sinse I also have five theater chairs I will put those behind the couch )elevated) for friends or family.

There are plenty of contruction photo's on my website at:

http://www.dvdzone.nl/kijkruimte

Eric

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi my theatre is 10' x 13.5'. I have a 56" 16:9 rptv. My first row of seats are 7.5' away and my second row is 10.5'. That is screen to eye. I have 2 rows of 3 marqee theatre seats by irwin. sorry no pictures yet.

Rob

·
Registered
667 Posts
I will post pictures soon... But completed my HT three months ago. Room is only 11 x 13. Screen 45x80. Front Projection Sony 1272q w/ DVDO v2 line doubler.

I have one 7' couch set 10' from the screen. I painted the walls a dark green so the room size is not apparent while watching a movie. The screen size is great, although I would likely use a screen in the 2.35:1 aspect if I did it again.

The biggest drawback I notice is in the sound. The "sweet spot" is very small, right in the center of my couch. With a wider room I would be able to widen the optimal listening position.

The room is comfortable for two couples or three guys. One more in a pinch. Once I had six in the room, two on the floor with cushions - not optimal for sound, image (too close, see scanlines), and creates a numb butt.

I think you are right on track. Your room sounds plenty big to easily accommodate 4-5, all in the "sweet spot" - and probably up to 6 or 7 depending on how you configure your seating.

I look forward to see how Dennis ends up setting it up for you!

Paul

·
Registered
639 Posts
My HT is 14x17x8. For seating I have a couch elevated on a platform and a love seat in fron of that. The love seat is about 11 feet from the screen. The screen is a Stewart MicroPerf (gain of 2.0) and is 88" diagonal. It will seat 6 comfortablely.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
142.5 inches deep by 128 inches wide and 96 inches high with an 80X45 screen. Hows that for size?

Terry or churchuf here on the forum setup this system for me and it turned out great! He spent a ton of time in the setup and in the implimentation stages of this thing just to make sure everything fit and looked clean. I am really having a blast with it and think I have the smallest theater.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
proudx, you may not be the smallest for long.

I have a room that is 10 feet six inches square, that I am going to be using. The room is also not truely square. The entry door is set at an angle into the room. I plan on mounting the projector in the adjoning rooms closet, to gain a little screen size.

I would be very interested in seeing pictures of your setup, if you wouldn't mind.

·
Registered
860 Posts
The Klutzoplex is also awfully small. I believe it is 13 x 15 or so, wide open in the back, has wierd corners to all the walls, and is in a Townhome... =

·
Registered
493 Posts
My HT is 13'x16', with a 106" screen. I currently have seating for 4 and will add 2 more cinema loungers later this year. I can fit 6 easily without seeing scanlines, and have had as many as 8 in the there, all pretty comfortably (i.e. no numb butt, that I knew of...).

Someone once called my HT "cozy". It is that, but once the lights go down, the room disappears and you forget that the room is cozy.

Having the black paint and fabric certainly doesn't help make the room look larger.... ;)

I am taking new pictures this weekend, and will try to get them posted next week.

·
Registered
199 Posts
the room my cinema is in was 11X12 . after making the screen wall with the recesed tv behind the screen it is now around 11X10 1/2 the screen is 77" wide 4:3 and i sit around 8feet from the screen on a three seater couch

this may sound small but it is'nt as small as my old cinema (befor i managed to get the whife to let me take over the living room) 8X7 . in witch i could just squeeze in two leather chairs and a 5 1/2 feet diaganal screen :D

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
ckaudio,

Funky. I just saw your theater up on Audio Video Interiors today! As a matter of fact, it's in the running for which color scheme I'm gonna steal ;) Excellent job.

JeffY,

Nice use of a little space. I like the curtains.

Thanks guys,

Adam

·
Registered
15 Posts
To give a european touch to it:

My HT is 3,6 m wide and 4,7 m long with a 100" screen. A supercompact HT with a classic movietheater design(red, gold and black)

Four black leather seatings for the family. No more, no less...

My 4 year old daughter cant stand watching Disney movies at less than 100" anymore(my fault of course)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.