AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1682 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Continuing on from the general CES announcement thread to this one for just the two new high end HD Camcorders for those, like me, who intend to buy one of these models.

Old Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1105798

They are up on B and H now.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...efinition.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...efinition.html

Quote:
Offering all of the latest advancements in Handycam camcorder technology, the HDR-XR500V camcorder is ideal for capturing the moment in high definition (HD). Record breathtaking 1920 x 1080 HD video and 12.1 megapixel still images directly to the internal 120GB hard drive. In addition to a professional-quality Sony G lens, this camcorder features a new, larger 1/3.15" ClearVid CMOS image sensor with Exmor-R technology, which delivers superior low-light performance. Additional features include Face Detection and Smile Shutter technology, a built-in GPS receiver, stunning image stabilization and flexible playback and transfer options.

Key Features

• Camera

* 1/2.88" ClearVid CMOS image sensor with Exmor R technology

* 120GB hard disk drive

* Back-illuminated Exmore R CMOS

* 3.2" wide touch panel Xtra Fine LCD display

* Sony G Lens

* 12X Optical zoom

* Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization

* Face Detection

* Smile Shutter

* Geotagging with built-in GPS receiver

* BRAVIA Sync

* HDMI connection

* Adjustable 0.27" color viewfinder

* Active Interface Shoe

* Power On by opening LCD

* Map Index function

* Dedicated Mic and Headphone jacks

* Dual record with 8.3Mp still image capture

* Assignable Dial

* Adjustable 0.27" color viewfinder

• Video Recording

* 1920 x 1080 HD

* Highlight Playback

* Dolby digital 5.1 channel recording

* Smooth Slow Record

* Film Roll Index

• Still Image Capture

* 12.1Mp Images

* Built-in intelligent flash

• Storage

* Hybrid recording of video and still image to the 120GB HDD or Memory Stick PRO Duo Media

The only difference noted is that the 520V doubles the storage capacity to 240GB. Personally I think I am going to save the $300 and just get the 120GB version and invest in Memory Stick cards if I need more than that.

Official user docs here:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...?mdl=HDRXR520V

In depth review here with clips:
http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews...20v/10187.html

·
Registered
607 Posts
How much better is the G Lens compared to the older SR 11 model?

Heh, I say older as if the SR11 is a piece of junk

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure, this will be my first HD camcorder.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been getting google alerts on these guys since the announcement, nothing much of interest, if anyone sees anything good please post it!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think that's just another version of the Watch Impress link I put up above but thanks for the info!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've combed through the info on this camera on the Sony site, and haven't seen anything on the formats and resolutions it will support. In particular, I'm wondering whether it will have raw format for stills. Has anyone seen anything to indicate that it might?

- Dennis Brothers

·
Registered
3,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath /forum/post/15806331

I think that's just another version of the Watch Impress link I put up above but thanks for the info!

I didn't even realize that.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have no reason to believe it will support a raw format still image. Do any other camcorders? Even if it was supported I couldn't see the hassle of bringing images off of this to Lightroom being worth while...

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath /forum/post/15798147

One thing I hadn't realized all this time is that this camera does not support ANY progressive modes.

According to what is listed under Sony's website 60i/30p is supported.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Any Reviews or price points on this yet?

I may wind up getting one as my current SR11 has severe focus problems all of a sudden and I'm not sure what's wrong with it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Quick edit:

Apparently these are being released in March, but apart from the GPS, I'm assuming that the HDR-XR200V has all the other features like Sony G lens and low light improvement that the XR500V ad XR520V have?

If so, I don't need GPS on my camcorder, and can not only save money, but trade in my current SR11 to get a price tag reduction of $300's with the trade in

Double Quick Edit

March 8th according to the sony website.

XR200 has the Sony T lens

XR500V and 520V has the G lens.

Can anyone explain to me why I might want the G lens instead? And how does the T lens improve over whatever the sony SR11 have?

THANKS! I know nothing about lenses

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also I believe the XR200 takes a lower resolution still pic than the XR5xx Series. But if you are not taking much still pics than it should not be an issue. I want something that will do both and the XR500 seems to fit the bill.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I think i might be sold on the $1299 camera with the Sony G lens.

The difference in quality in night shots is considerable with the SR11, after looking at the sample video on that Japanese Review website.

I didn't see a single bit of 'night fuzz' in the entire shot..

1 - 20 of 1682 Posts