AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The KDL-##W80#A is a 3D display which uses edge LED backlighting with frame dimming and has small speakers. From what I understand, even though the new KDL-46R453A is not a 3D display, doesn't it use direct LED backlighting and have slightly bigger speakers? So if you don't need 3D, would you be better off with the KDL-##R4##A?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another question:

Will a good direct-LED backlit 1080p non-3D display cost less than a mediocre, edge-LED backlit 1080p 3D model of the same size?

I don't have any 3D Blu-ray discs. So unless I'm going to get a better non-3D experience with the KDL-47W802A, I can't see spending an additional $700 or more on 3D which I don't think I'll have an immediate need for. Maybe I'll get a 3D display as soon as OLED goes mainstream, and use whatever display I get now as a future computer monitor.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update:

I read a convincing review at Amazon saying that the blacks on the KDL-##W802A aren't as deep as on the Panasonic TC-P##S60. Because of the KDL-##R4##A's direct LED backlighting, I'd like to know how deep its blacks are compared to the KDL-##W802A. I know you're about to say to drive around and check them out, but I'm disabled and can't get out on a regular basis. Even if I could, I understand the stores have them configured in a way which doesn't always demonstrate their full potencial. So that's why I come to AVS. All of the other audio/video forums I used to hang out at constantly refer to AVS for more suffisticated advice.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C  /t/1471047/sony-kdl-w802a-and-kdl-r4-a-2013-lineup-comparison#post_23296437

Update:

I read a convincing review at Amazon saying that the blacks on the KDL-##W802A aren't as deep as on the Panasonic TC-P##S60. Because of the KDL-##R4##A's direct LED backlighting, I'd like to know how deep its blacks are compared to the KDL-##W802A. I know you're about to say to drive around and check them out, but I'm disabled and can't get out on a regular basis. Even if I could, I understand the stores have them configured in a way which doesn't always demonstrate their full potencial. So that's why I come to AVS. All of the other audio/video forums I used to hang out at constantly refer to AVS for more suffisticated advice.

Hey everyone,

Just had a 550A delivered to my house and I have blobs of white on the screen. Not clouding or backlight bleed just really weird circles of brightness. I have a picture if anyone was interested. Anyway I ran to the store and setup an exchange for the same model. Came home and for some reason i checked the stores website and there it was the W802A. Read a little about it, found out it was in stock, and ran back to the store and setup an exchange to receive it on Saturday. Cost me another $280 but at this point I want a quality TV. After my ES8000 needed a panel replacement in 5 weeks, to the cheaply made 550A, I am hoping this is the one! My wife hopes so for my sanity.

From what I read it sounds awesome and I cant wait now I hope it gets delivered in 1 piece.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made another online discovery today. 40-inch, 46-inch, and larger panels, such as the KDL-##R4##A series, are VA panels. VA panels provide great contrast and better viewing angles than TN panels. 42-inch (the non-US model), 47-inch, and larger panels, such as on the KDL-##W80#A series are IPS panels, which supposedly don't have as good contrast as VA panels, but the best viewing angles. I say supposedly because when I checked both series out in the stores, I was equally impressed with their black levels. The one thing I didn't do was check how they look from a distance, non-centered with the screen. I just thought you guys might be interested in this.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I decided to remove my poll because it is possible that the series with the better LCD panel type might not have as good of a backlight type, while the series with the better backlight type might not have as good of an LCD panel type. So some time soon, I am going to go to a store and check these out a third time,, getting both series to look their clearest, brightest, and best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts