AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Every now and then, I look around to see if there's anything that I can use to receive local radio broadcasts on my WMC-based HTPC's.

I usually end up disappointed.

I've always envisioned some kind of usb gadget that I can plug in and use the WMC radio tuner to get local stations. Most of the ones that look like they'd work are designed for use outside the US. I experimented with a Happaugue WinTV HVR-2250, which has an FM tuner built in, but that failed miserably. I couldn't get even one static free station to tune clearly.

I've looked into making specific entry points to web-based broadcasts, but that was kind of a kludge. It never really works smoothly. There used to be a few media center addins that would do local Radio, but I can't find them anymore.

Is anybody doing local radio on their HTPC? If so, what are you using?

Please enlighten me..

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also have HVR-2250 and it works very well with WMC radio (not as good as my tuner through).

I have a 1 into 4 coax. amp on OTA TV antenna cable, plugged one of the output coax into the FM input on HVR-2250 and all is working.

Make sure you have a good signal going into FM input, if not, try moving your TV input cable to the FM input as a test.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I have an old radio shark usb tuner that I used to use before most stations started streaming. Most of the streams I access sound much better than the fm signal.

For $35 you can make a pretty robust media device with a Pi.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I find that somethings are just not convenient to play it on the media center, any audio-only, including radio, I just don' want to turn on the TV to browse my collection, look for the station etc. I keep my favorite radio stations on my phone, webcast, and I just either airplay or Bluetooth it to my stereo, and my library is right on my face.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I find that somethings are just not convenient to play it on the media center, any audio-only, including radio, I just don' want to turn on the TV to browse my collection, look for the station etc. I keep my favorite radio stations on my phone, webcast, and I just either airplay or Bluetooth it to my stereo, and my library is right on my face.
I do the same via iheartradio or podcasts and bluetooth it to whatever I need to - car, speakers, hifi stereo.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Radio? People still listen to that? LOL.

Seriously though even if you can't use a tuner can't you just go to the station's website and stream whatever they're playing just as easily? Plus that way you're not subject to reception issues and distance to station.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I use the TuneIn service on my SONOS to stream all my local radio stations. I think they have a web app as well you could use from the HTPC that uses Windows Media Player (not WMC). There's also a Windows 8 Metro app. www.tunein.com

·
Registered
384 Posts
I also have HVR-2250 and it works very well with WMC radio (not as good as my tuner through).

I have a 1 into 4 coax. amp on OTA TV antenna cable, plugged one of the output coax into the FM input on HVR-2250 and all is working.

Make sure you have a good signal going into FM input, if not, try moving your TV input cable to the FM input as a test.

Hope this helps.
+1

I recently installed a HauppaugeWinTV HVR-2255 and connected it to an old OTA TV antenna in my attic.

It gets all of the FM stations that are available to me.

FWIW > My antenna is under a cement tile roof (which blocks more signal than my old wood shake roof did), but after that there’s a totally unobstructed view of all parts south.
I’m running a single cable downfrom the antenna into a Winegard CA-8800 FM Band Separator/Coupler which then connectsto both FM input and TV input of the HVR-2255. (http://www.winegarddirect.com/viewitem.asp?p=CA8800&d=Winegard-CA8800-FM-Band-SeparatorCoupler-FM-Tap-(CA8800)&post= Insertionloss of -0.4 dB, but apparently no longer available.)

·
Registered
690 Posts
I’m running a single cable downfrom the antenna into a Winegard CA-8800 FM Band Separator/Coupler which then connectsto both FM input and TV input of the HVR-2255. (http://www.winegarddirect.com/viewitem.asp?p=CA8800&d=Winegard-CA8800-FM-Band-SeparatorCoupler-FM-Tap-(CA8800)&post= Insertionloss of -0.4 dB, but apparently no longer available.)
I have a FM/TV separator that I tried in my setup too. It's either the same model or something similar. I'm no longer using it. So if they've become hard to find and somebody needs one, let me know.

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
I also use a Hauppauge 2250 for radio in WMC. It even works with my Echo extenders. The Hauppauge TV tuners are on cable so I used an old set of TV rabbit ears for the FM tuner antenna.

·
Registered
964 Posts
You can use a old PVR-150, like I used to use till I pulled the card out. It's a analog cable and FM tuner.

They work pretty good for the FM in WMC but, have a good antenna for the best results.

You can get one cheap on ebay, for like under $15.

And with WMC, you can pause and rewind FM radio, pretty cool...(wish I could do this in my car)

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
You can use a old PVR-150, like I used to use till I pulled the card out. It's a analog cable and FM tuner.

They work pretty good for the FM in WMC but, have a good antenna for the best results.

You can get one cheap on ebay, for like under $15.

And with WMC, you can pause and rewind FM radio, pretty cool...(wish I could do this in my car)
That is intriguing. Many times for sports I would rather mute the TV announcers and tune into the home team radio guys. But the radio is usually a few seconds ahead of the TV.

:evil laugh: :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts