AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attentive Enthusiastic Motivated Innovative Inquisitive Confident Possibility Thinker
Its why YOU are here . . . and me too, :)
How Long we get to play here, YMMV
Anything goes . . .

MY "88 Special" grill
I've used open wire closet shelving pieces for almost all equipment ventilation enhancement wrt to shelves I build
This reused piece of 16" wide, with the short return cut off fits so "perfectly"
It is open enough to not impinge on horn dispersion like my black egg crate find
doesn't need a standoff
will be all painted to match the baffle
That color is a black with an oiled bronze metallic but it doesn't look like that in low light

What's in YOUR DIY Bag?:cool:

Tell us more

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This was my post wrt to the 88 build by michaelddd

Thanks to OP, ErichH, the guy who did the dropbox "88 Special FUD documentation" (really helpful wrt my first xo build)
replaced my Klipsch g-28
haven't rerun audyssey thru the x5200, maybe tomorrow
Initial Impressions
immediate noticeable more unified sound stage, bigger/taller/wider sweet spot wrt to l/r dispersion:grin:
In "Jumpin Jack Flash" ****, even after almost 50 years of listening, is still not to win any awards for diction but I was able to believe even more he was singing in English, just still unsure wrt to some of the words . . .

in U-571, when the capt is addressing the crew before the reconfigured US sub gets ready to leave his voice seemed "buzzy"
I cannot recall having heard it like that using the G-28 , it could be my 67 y.o. ears
anybody else noticed this ? or not?
tried some cable classical, soundscapes and then hit "Classical Gas" (oldies)
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM- OFY!

If good sound be the food of great HT, then play on . . .

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Your build certainly embodies what I consider to be the "Spirit of DIY":

* Envision it
* Plan it out
* Make it happen

Step #2 may be optional for some, but my OCD requires it... :D

·
Banned
1,371 Posts
Here's a couple ugly yet functional boxes.

I needed braces and had some 2x4's laying around. Notice they weren't long enough, or I cut them short...can't remember.

This box was for an 18, then got second baffle glued on and cut for a 15. For some reason I needed strips of 2x4 for something so these got ripped.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Waiting to hear more . . . we know you're out there!

p.s. Anybody up for a giant horn folding challenge ?

Attachments

Reactions: kagtha

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we can model gravitational interaction between Jupiter and Ganymede and seemingly predict that the moon has an ocean

how about a slightly more idiot-proof image attachment protocol . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
This is the ultimate, bomb-proof grill. :D Go ahead, kick the cabinet...see if it hurts anything but your foot. :D

If my Volts weren't going to be 8 feet high up the wall, I'd do something like this for sure. My 88 Specials will be protected behind a screen wall. At least I'm 90% sure of that at this point. If they wind up out in the open I'll have to do something for a grill.

Attentive Enthusiastic Motivated Innovative Inquisitive Confident Possibility Thinker
Its why YOU are here . . . and me too, :)
How Long we get to play here, YMMV
Anything goes . . .

MY "88 Special" grill
I've used open wire closet shelving pieces for almost all equipment ventilation enhancement wrt to shelves I build
This reused piece of 16" wide, with the short return cut off fits so "perfectly"
It is open enough to not impinge on horn dispersion like my black egg crate find
doesn't need a standoff
will be all painted to match the baffle
That color is a black with an oiled bronze metallic but it doesn't look like that in low light

What's in YOUR DIY Bag?:cool:

Tell us more

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"Never quit. Never, Never Quit": W. Churchill (iirc)

The thread/desire for "beyond .4 is inspirational to say the least.

This ATMOS cloud support lattice is composed of 10 pieces of 60" 1 1/2 x 1 1/2, from HD

3 different lengths of Unistrut angle brackets and anchors and the exact needed number of good sized nuts and bolts, many of which I just happened to have on hand . .

This is like having an Erector Set all over again.
BUT!
It's full sized ,Industrial strength you get to build something , maybe even something needed, , asking "what if?" out of your imagination , you don't have to take it apart and it's even useful.
YMMV

Its hard to tell from the pic but by inverting some of the rails, I'll be able to slide my 6" roxul clouds in from the middle and have everything in the same "flat " plane" .

There are 2 rails running left to right , made by bolting 2 5's together, and I may be able to tie them into the angled corner pieces tho the holes are not quite lined up.

Drill, Baby, Drill!

It's all rather tight, no sway, sag or twist. of course there's no load on it either.

I'm going to make a few cardboard pieces to see what shapes and sizes of clouds lend to a modular build.

I did spend "some" time on the symmetry of the lattice wrt balancing effect on the 6 tops.

If needed, I can extend the interior left /right sides in as far , primarily in front of the TM's (thanks Scott) as I want wrt cloud size. The distance between those long rails is only 65+" so, adding a few trimmed 72" pieces will let me to, as suggested by Sanjay, not necessarily over do it. Sometimes less is more.

We're still at AVS, RIGHT?

But I have the option get a lot of sq ftage up there, 6" suggested wrt large broadband effect.

The large black board across the top of the pic is out in front of the trestle perimeter and is the anchor point for the rear of 3 of 3' x 4' x 5 1/2" clouds . I still have to fab up the anchor whatever for the ends toward the front of the room. It's broadband for ceiling reflections, using the mirror "trick. The frames are built, I have the 703 and roxul and 5 yards of speaker cloth and a pneumatic stapler.

a fun week

Attachments

Reactions: cuzed2

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Asarose 24/7,

Awesome job buddy. You always come up with unique ways to get things done/mounted/suspended/protected/fixed....you get the idea.

So whats next for you, on the list of never ending upgrades / home theater related projects?

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I may have to actually buy a sewing machine to be able to make the covers for the cloud modules more self supporting

I got the 2 extra AVR's ready to wire up for SCATMOS.

and there is a variant of the VBSS build courtesy of LTD02, originally by mtg90, and a tip of my hat to @cuzed2 for his slim variety
I already have PE shipping the drivers . . .

Reactions: cuzed2

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
I may have to actually buy a sewing machine to be able to make the covers for the cloud modules more self supporting

and there is a variant of the VBSS build courtesy of LTD02, originally by mtg90, and a tip of my hat to @cuzed2 for his slim variety
asarose,

Got a notification that led me to this thread (and I'm subscribed)!
I like your creativity for the cloud absorber - well done. Looking forward to seeing this absorber finished.

Good on you for joining the VBSS club. I will have some "VBSS almost finished" update photos soon. Unfortunately; I have to travel next week - so firing them up will have to wait.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts

asarose,

Got a notification that led me to this thread (and I'm subscribed)!
I like your creativity for the cloud absorber - well done. Looking forward to seeing this absorber finished.

Good on you for joining the VBSS club. I will have some "VBSS almost finished" update photos soon. Unfortunately; I have to travel next week - so firing them up will have to wait.

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
2 of 3 front clouds in progress

using all 703 first and top off with roxul

there will be a AT top cover for fiber control

then bottom and sides wrapped in speaker cloth from Jo-Anns

Attachments

Reactions: kagtha
1 - 20 of 140 Posts