Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Updated 6/21/10

EQUIPMENT LIST

Front Projection:
  • Projector: Sim2 HT300E DLP (720P)
  • Video Processor: DVDO iScan Duo
  • Screen: 2.35:1 Dragonfly High Contrast 125" (diagonal)
  • Anamorphic Lens: Panamorph UH380 with MTH1 Manual Transport and AK6 Attachment Plate
  • Ceiling Mount: Chief RPA Mount with 12" CMS Extension Column and CMS115 Ceiling Plate
Audio:
  • Pre Pro: Lexicon RV-5 Receiver
  • Power Amplifier: Lexicon ZX-7 (300W/Channel @ 8 ohms) for Left, Right, Center, Surrounds and Rears
  • Main Speakers: Legacy Audio Focus 20/20
  • Center Speaker: Legacy Audio Silverscreen II
  • Surround Speakers: Triad InWall Silver/4 Surround
  • Rear Speakers: Triad InWall Gold/4 Omni SE
  • Subwoofer: Legacy Audio LFExtreme
Sources:
  • CD/DVD/DVD-A: Rotel RDV-1092
  • HD-DVD: Toshiba HD-XA2
  • Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD80
  • Cable: Motorola DCT-6200 HDTV CATV (Service Electric)
Power Management:
  • Electronics Power Conditioning: Panamax M5400-PM & Panamax M5300-PM
  • Projector Battery Backup: Panamax M1500-UPS-PFP
  • Power Distribution: Panamax InWall MIW-PowerKit-Pro
Equipment Rack:
  • Middle Atlantic 43-Space AX-S In-Wall Equipment Rack
  • Middle Atlantic RSH Custom Rack Shelves
Remote Control/Automation
  • RTI XP-8 Central Control Processor
  • RTI T3-V Remote Control (zigbee)
  • RTI RK3-V InWall Touch Panel
  • RTI CB-8 Connecting Block
  • RTI ZM-24 Zigbee Transmitter/Receiver
  • Leviton Vizia RF+ 1000W Dimmers/Switches (z-wave)

ROOM

Dedicated Home Theater Room:
  • Room Dimensions: 21' deep; 15' wide (screen wall), 17.5' wide (rear wall)
  • Ceiling Height: 7' 6" maximum; 6'0" minimum (standing on riser below soffit)
  • Screen Height: 52" from floor to middle of screen
  • Seating for 6 = 3 in front row, 3 in rear on a 12.5" riser
Approximate screen-to-seat distances:
  • Front row: 11'
  • Back row: 17' 6"
Room color scheme:
  • Lower Walls: Behr Premium Plus Ultra Flat Enamel - Cayman Bay (UL230-19)
  • Upper Walls: Behr Premium Plus Ultra Flat Enamel - Mesa Taupe (UL130-16)
  • Ceiling: Behr Premium Plus Ultra Flat Matte - Delicate Lace (UL130-12)
  • Screen Wall: Behr Premium Plus Ultra Flat Matte - Black Black
  • Floor: Behr Premium Plus Porch & Floor Low Lustre - Rich Brown (PPF-52)

A little background is in order. This will be my second major home theater build. The first was a dedicated room in our Palm Springs, CA home. The outcome was fairly successful for our purposes. I have included a link to my website that has pictures of the construction process here. My second home theater was the conversion of the 2nd bedroom in our apartment. Being an apartment, nothing permanent could be done, and this room was also used for other purposes. The only construction was for the purpose of mounting of small, motorized 84" diagonal 16:9 projection screen. Although we enjoyed the small bedroom theater immensely, it doesn’t really qualify as a home theater “build.” This brings us up to present day.

My wife and I just purchased a new townhome with a full, unfinished basement, pictured here.

As you can see, the basement has its challenges with the location of the HVAC, plumbing and support beam. However, thanks to many of the wonderful suggestions of fellow AVSers, I have settled in on a design for the new theater. In designing the theater area, it was important that the basement maintain an “open” feel to it for entertaining. One of the challenges that I still face are the water lines running everywhere. It is important that the equipment rack and projector not be located right below water/sewer lines that may start to leak some day. I have not yet determined where the equipment room will be located. We also would like to add a bar somewhere into the mix. Here is the initial design that I have come up with:

I currently already have much of the a/v equipment for the theater. I may do some swapping out of individual components, but for the most part the equipment listed above is what I will be using.

The following issues are still to be determined and any input is greatly appreciated:
  1. Where to put the equipment room – I would ultimately like to have enough room for two racks, in the event that I do a distributed audio/video system throughout the entire home.
  2. Storage location for DVDs and CDs – One thought was to locate all the software in the equipment room.
  3. Bar location

The time frame for this project completion no later than December 2009.

AramB

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On the top left side of the picture below, you will note there are three large PVC pipes right where I would like to locate the top plate for framing the wall on this side of the basement. Can anyone provide some suggestions as to how to frame the wall on the this side without having to (a) move the pipes, or (b) placing the wall in front of the pipes (which would substantially reduce the square footage of the room.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
PVC pipes would be very easy to shift over. You just have to cut and extend then at each end and then just remount the run closer to the concrete wall. Hardly any work at all. It looks like the other pipes are HVAC/gas related. Those would be a bit more difficult to move. Otherwise, stuff them all into a soffet and call it a day. Personally it looks like the HVAC trunk metal support beam will be the hard part to deal with.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The copper and black pipe (gas) is movable as well, but you'll have to pay a plumber. If you were to move them over next to the white PVC, you could possibly make soffits on either side of the room, and dress them like accents in the room.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
PVC, AC and it looks like a gas line, move them all over to the far wall on the left. And that HVAC trunk line along with your main support beam?

Maybe not move the HVAC, gas and sewer lines...

What do you plan to use on the ceiling? Drywall or a drop?

Mike

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. I figured, I would probably end up having to move that large sewage line, but was hoping there would be a way to avoid such a "messy" job.

My plan is to drywall the ceiling and put a soffit on either side, somewhat symmetrically, similar to what Brian did here:

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Sewer lines don't look like they are in the way. It's almost right next to the wall.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Sewer lines don't look like they are in the way. It's almost right next to the wall.

The sewer line is right against the wall along with the exhaust lines for the furnace and water heater with no room to mount a top plate against the floor joists to attach the studs for the wall on that side of the room.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I started the process of analyzing the optimum throw distance for my projector (approx 16') for an image 45" high (92" screen for 16:9 or 106" screen for 2.35:1). I have decided that if at all possible, I would like to go with a 2.35:1 screen. However, based on my current design layout, that is virtually impossible to accomplish because the HVAC trunk running the length of the basement prevents me from putting the projector where it needs to go without lowering it below the HVAC trunk. So I am now considering re-orienting the theater.

I am looking to fellow AVSers for some alternative solutions or designs. Here is the current layout of the basement:

The clearance from the floor to the bottom of the ceiling joists is 93". However, the clearance from the floor to the bottom of the HVAC trunk is 84" and the clearance from the floor to the bottom of the support beam is only 81". So, as you can see I am "height challenged" as well.

Here are some photos:

I am standing at the location of the furnace and water heater.

Here I am standing in the same spot, but looking slightly to the left.

Now I am at the opposite side of the basement looking back at the furnace, water heater and stairs.

Same spot, but looking slightly to the right.

Standing over by the sump pump.

Standing by the stairs.

All suggestions and ideas will be greatly appreciated!!!

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramb /forum/post/15693223

Can anyone provide some suggestions as to how to frame the wall on the this side without having to (a) move the pipes, or (b) placing the wall in front of the pipes (which would substantially reduce the square footage of the room.

Piece of cake. You build the wall just short of the pipes and anchor the top plate to the concrete wall with some stand offs.

When you build the soffit around the pipes it will join up with the abbreviated wall and you will be the only one who knows.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, BIGmouthinDC. That is a great idea! Should I just use masonry nails to attach the standoffs to the concrete wall?

AramB

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is an alternate plan that I worked on today. It requires covering up the window on the wall where the screen is located. I will have to build a removable stage that will cover up the sump pump. I also have to determine a location for the equipment racks.

Thoughts anyone?

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramb /forum/post/15711911

Should I just use masonry nails to attach the standoffs to the concrete wall?

I would use either the power drivers or the concrete anchors that you drill a hole than insert a sleeve that expands when you tighten the bolt.

IMO a hammer driven masonry nail doesn't have the pull out resistance that you need.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Today has been a productive day. This morning the HVAC guys came and re-routed some of the ductwork that was problematic. However, moving the entire HVAC trunk was simply not a possibility. They also added some vents in the basement so now there is heat down there!

This evening I took the projector and my HD-DVD player down to the basement and decided to see how things would look with the various setups that I have envisioned - mostly to see if poles, beams and other obstructions would be an issue. After not getting satisfactory results with the original two designs that I sketched above, I decided to project an image perpendicular to the support beam and HVAC trunk. Originally, I completely discarded this idea as I thought these would be obstructions that would not permit the projector to be mounted high enough. Well, I gave it a shot, and was pleasantly surprised. No obstructions, and much more width is available (so speakers don't have to be crunched into corners) AND, I actually gain more DEPTH for seating (up to 24' if I want it). I was so pleased with the results, that I decided to take some pictures to post below.

Lights off... 2.35:1 aspect ratio with 106" wide image:

Here the lights are on and as you can see the HVAC is really not an issue:

The markings on the wall are for 106" wide 2.35:1 screen and 16:9 screen:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This weekend I put some blackout curtains in the basement. I realize it is a little premature to be hanging drapes before the construction is complete, but I wanted a little privacy from "nosey" neighbors! It also helps keep the basement a bit warmer.

I am still not 100% convinced that I have come up with the best arrangement/use of the space. I am toying with the idea of having a contest and offering $100 to the best design from a fellow AVSer. Do you think there would be any interest in something like that?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is my latest layout design for the home theater. Suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did a Sketchup rendering as well...

·
Registered
92 Posts
How many rows of seating? Are you doing risers?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am doing two rows of seating... one in front of the platform shown on the SketchUp drawing above and another row on the platform itself. I have not decided what type of seating I will get... probably three Berkline theater seats in each row.

Aram

·
Registered
168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramb /forum/post/15857628

I did a Sketchup rendering as well...

Aram,

I have a very similar layout to yours with a lovely beam and pole that cannot be outside of room. Think I have finally decided to shoot pic parallel to beam in my case as give me 24' depth and can mount projector to shoot under beam (same height exactly as you for joists/beam etc) to allow max room width. I like the final layout you show here as makes best use of space for seating and biggest screen to view.

Good luck,

Greg

p.s. I always like using Transformers HD-DVD to 'test' out options too

1 - 20 of 161 Posts