AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit the early release jackpot at BB today as I was able to pick up The Sting, Mummy Returns, & Pulse all before Tuesday. I popped The Sting in first and was pretty pleased with how it looked. Just my initial impression would put it a notch higher than Reds or The Deer Hunter. I will give a full impression later. I plan on watching it this evening.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbryant /forum/post/0

I hit the early release jackpot at BB today as I was able to pick up The Sting, Mummy Returns, & Pulse all before Tuesday. I popped The Sting in first and was pretty pleased with how it looked. Just my initial impression would put it a notch higher than Reds or The Deer Hunter. I will give a full impression later. I plan on watching it this evening.

They accidently put "The Sting" on the shelf at Fry's by me. Their system wouldn't let me purchase it but they did pull it off the shelf for me to buy on Tuesday.

I'm very curious if the transfer is as good as "Blazing Saddles" for example.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
"The Sting" HD-DVD has been shown on Blockbuster On-line for months as an upcoming release, but still is absent on Netflix.

Maybe it will wind up like "Friday Night Lights" and "Enter the Dragon" ... HD-DVD titles that Netflix has never offered even to this day.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW!! What a great film. This was a blind buy for me and I loved it. I wasn't even born when it was released but as alot of older films, HD-DVD has gotten me to see them as I normally probably would have not. Anybody expecting to hear this title looks razor sharp should move along.

It is however a great looking title that has a very clean print. There is a line or scratch around the 38:50 marker but other than that and maybe one more small speck later on it was virtually spotless. Some scenes are grainier than others but there are also alot of spectacular looking scenes as well. Skin tones and close ups in particular were pretty impressive as well as the sense of depth that was maintained throughout the film. This is one of Universal's better older catalog transfers and is far more consistent than say The Deer Hunter. I would have to say after viewing it in its entirety that it is probably a couple notches higher than Reds or Deer Hunter.

Audio was fantastic for a film of its age as the memorable sountrack came through clear as a bell without hiss or noise. Speech was also clear and well defined.

As long as your not going into it with expectations of it looking like King Kong or Batman then I think most fans are gonna love this transfer.

·
Premium Member
JVC 540, 77” G2, Atmos 7.1.4
1,843 Posts
I just posted my review over at HTF:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...49#post3063649

The music was GREAT.

The visual side of things is tough to say. It's hard to seperate the look of the film from the transfer. Noise is overwhelmingly jarring in many scenes for me, there is some print damage and scratches, and there is a constant flicker where shadows and color levels are not the same from frame to frame. Like I said tho, much of this is replicating the 1930s look of the film. It's clearly the best it has ever looked at home, but is it worthy of a double dip if you already have it on DVD?

Sam

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dunno about the SD version as this was the first time I had seen the film but I thought it was a fairly clean print and I didn't notice the flickering you were referring to. I did notice occasional noise but not very distracting on my lil "61 Sammy DLP.

I do wonder though what a full restoration could do for this film as there are true moments of greatness and maybe just a lil more cleanup could push the visuals alot higher. Still definitely worth getting if like me, you have never seen the film.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneily /forum/post/0

"The Sting" HD-DVD has been shown on Blockbuster On-line for months ...

I'm a member of BB and would love to check out this title but I can't find it on BB on-line. How do you know this? Where is it?

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The songs of Burt Baccharach( sp?) is enough to for me to jump onboard

·
Registered
36 Posts
And when he won the Oscar that year for Best Music (or whatever it's called), the list of people he thanked did not include Scott Joplin. Probably just an oversight, but I haven't had much use for Marvin since then.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath /forum/post/0

I just posted my review over at HTF:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...49#post3063649

The music was GREAT.

The visual side of things is tough to say. It's hard to seperate the look of the film from the transfer. Noise is overwhelmingly jarring in many scenes for me, there is some print damage and scratches, and there is a constant flicker where shadows and color levels are not the same from frame to frame. Like I said tho, much of this is replicating the 1930s look of the film. It's clearly the best it has ever looked at home, but is it worthy of a double dip if you already have it on DVD?

Sam

Good review, after viewing this one myself I largely agree with it. Its hard to separate what are intentional defects for the sake of "art" and a poor print.

It was the 70's you know.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I just got The Sting from amazon today, and I must say I am thoroughly impressed! I get more excited by gorgeous transfers of older movies like this, Casablanca, The Thing, Dune, etc. than I do with new releases. I can't wait to see others like Chinatown, Cuckoo's Nest, Marathon Man, Dog Day Afternoon -- the classics from the 60's & 70's! Seeing these on beautiful HD-DVD is like watching them for the first time again. I can't recommend The Sting enough!

Way to go, Universal. Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
OT but Marvin Hamlisch's arrangements of Joplin's music are like Lawrence Welk BUT it did get the general populace to recognize Joplin's genius especially through other, better musicians, like Joshua Rifkin.

I almost picked up The Sting today but thought I'd get some impressions here first. Looks like a good one.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Yup, can't get enough of Barbra Streisand singing The Way We Were.

·
Registered
10,510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Shot /forum/post/0

Yup, can't get enough of Barbra Streisand singing The Way We Were.

LOL!

Actually, it was shown on TCM recently and I recorded it for a DVD-R transfer. After watching several segments, I finally hit the erase button. I had forgotten how sappy it was in parts. The song is killer tho for Streisand fans.

I should receive The Sting today from Amazon. The poker scenes on the train are classic!

ss9001

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
looked pretty much exactly as I expected it to after having owned (but never watched more than a few mintures of) the Legacy 2 disc set from 2 years back.

I remember just before I sold it off I put it in to see the transfer and try to convince myself I didn't need to upgrade it. I really didn't- however theres a bit of value in being able to get a larger double disc case off the shelf and at the same time replace it with a better version.

IMO, The refinement in the presentation of this one is a good illustration of the notion of having to spend considerably more for that extra 5-10% of performance.

With software though, it's easy aggregate that inital large outlay on HD thru multiple purchases over a longer time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.