AVS Forum banner

321 - 340 of 3235 Posts

·
Registered
3,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE  /t/1442340/the-stonewater-cinema-build-thread/300#post_22969628

So it is pretty easy to figure if stuff is coming off the walls that is actually forward progress. Right?
But isn't that forward progress when viewed from within dimension X? What does it look like to outsiders? Can you actually take pictures from within dimension X?

·
Registered
6,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A  /t/1442340/the-stonewater-cinema-build-thread/300_100#post_22970273

Dang you and your logic! Next you'll be using the maths on us.

That would be aaustin actually! I leave all the maths to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred  /t/1442340/the-stonewater-cinema-build-thread/300_100#post_22970351

But isn't that forward progress when viewed from within dimension X? What does it look like to outsiders? Can you actually take pictures from within dimension X?

Men, scholars, and truth seekers alike have pondered these very questions. The world may never know.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
3,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG  /t/1442340/the-stonewater-cinema-build-thread/270#post_22902467

This post is for all of you Art Deco fans....

I was working on the design aesthetic again this evening, specifically the decorative metalwork and I came across a website for an insanely talented graphic artist from Mexico that loves the Art Deco style and absolutely nails it with his movie poster recreations. So he will take a Batman, Ironman or whatever other movie and recreate a movie poster for this modern movie in the old Art Deco style and his work is phenomenal in my opinion.

If you have a few minutes, spend some time on his website or to his gallery where his full artwork can be seen, appreciated and purchased.

One of my favorites is his Ironman poster found here:

More specifically, his entire "heroes" movie poster collection can be found HERE

Wow!! That poster is just awesome along with others on that site! The art deco style really blends well with the super hero look. I bookmarked that site for sure. Thanks for the great find!

Reactions: Press_Corpse

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A  /t/1442340/the-stonewater-cinema-build-thread/300#post_22968610

I don't think Tom has Loganed anyone lately......... hint, hint!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797  /t/1442340/the-stonewater-cinema-build-thread/300#post_22969141

Look, if I slowed him down anymore stuff would start coming OFF the walls.

But then again, in Dimension X, we don't know the relationship between forward and backward motion.

I am not exactly sure what Loganed is....but I will just assume it is some sort of prestigious honor, like being knighted.

·
Registered
6,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG  /t/1442340/the-stonewater-cinema-build-thread/300_100#post_22978485

I am not exactly sure what Loganed is....but I will just assume it is some sort of prestigious honor, like being knighted.

Um.........er..........ah...........yeah. Just keep thinking that and you're golden!

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig  /t/1442340/the-stonewater-cinema-build-thread/300#post_22971762

Wow!! That poster is just awesome along with others on that site! The art deco style really blends well with the super hero look. I bookmarked that site for sure. Thanks for the great find!

No problem. This is a bit of new information . . . I am actually in touch with the artist directly. We have spoken and he may take on a small (very small) design commission with my home theater. He's never worked in the home theater "medium" (as he puts it) before and really wants to do the project, even if it's just in his spare time. More to come on that later.

A few days after I made the post to his website and the Ironman poster I continued to have a nagging feeling that I had seen this before. Then it struck me . . . The Rocketeer movie poster from 1991....

·
Registered
2,610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG  /t/1442340/the-stonewater-cinema-build-thread/300#post_22978534

A few days after I made the post to his website and the Ironman poster I continued to have a nagging feeling that I had seen this before. Then it struck me . . . The Rocketeer movie poster from 1991....

You should have posted the question and saved yourself the agony, I knew that as soon as I saw it.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Damn i knew it looked familiar but couldn't pinpoint it.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Damn i knew it looked familiar but couldn't pinpoint it.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts

Quote:
We do know that in Dimension X forward is backward, backward is forward, left is right, right is left, zig is zag, zag is zig, right side up is upside down, upside down is right side up. So it is pretty easy to figure if stuff is coming off the walls that is actually forward progress. Right?

No, we don't know that at all. Dimension X is ambiguity and the ambiguity is in a box. As Shrodinger observed, you can't know unitl you open the box. But, is the Truth, as Hichcock observed, in a box? No, there isn't room; the ambiguity has put on weight.
Quote:

Ah. See? That's just it! To the outside observer, it cannot be determined whether someone is in front of you or behind you (remembering, of course, that the universe revolves around me!). You CAN take pictures in Dimension X, however, they are useless as a picture is in only snapshop in time which could capture no progess, forward progress, backward progress, prgress in all 3 dimensions at once, or, indeed progress in some heretofore unknown dimension, which we'll call Dimsension Z for the sake of argument.
Quote:
I am not exactly sure what Loganed is

Now, do you understand?

Aww, heck, I'll just LOGAN you anyway. Check first page of my thread, in my sig.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797  /t/1442340/the-stonewater-cinema-build-thread/330#post_22989392

No, we don't know that at all. Dimension X is ambiguity and the ambiguity is in a box. As Shrodinger observed, you can't know unitl you open the box. But, is the Truth, as Hichcock observed, in a box? No, there isn't room; the ambiguity has put on weight.

Ah. See? That's just it! To the outside observer, it cannot be determined whether someone is in front of you or behind you (remembering, of course, that the universe revolves around me!). You CAN take pictures in Dimension X, however, they are useless as a picture is in only snapshop in time which could capture no progess, forward progress, backward progress, prgress in all 3 dimensions at once, or, indeed progress in some heretofore unknown dimension, which we'll call Dimsension Z for the sake of argument.

Now, do you understand?

Clear as mud. This kind of stuff makes my brain go "owwy".
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797  /t/1442340/the-stonewater-cinema-build-thread/330#post_22989392

Aww, heck, I'll just LOGAN you anyway. Check first page of my thread, in my sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797  /t/1442340/the-stonewater-cinema-build-thread/330#post_22989889

NOW you got it!

Uh....thanks??
Let's see...I start near the beginning of December, was sidelined with an injury for about a month and have been making up ground with long work hours in between my 60%+ travel schedule with work, not to mention weekends spent in the hospital with my pregnant wife. Yep, I'm going to consider being LOGANED a very high honor.

I wouldn't get too concerned with my motivation, though. I've been working steadily virtually every opportunity I get...and I don't even have a projector yet! Just got back from 2 weeks of travel for work which included some fact-finding work for the home theater design. You see? Even when I'm working thousands of miles away I'm still working on my theater! Pics to follow soon...

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG  /t/1442340/the-stonewater-cinema-build-thread/330#post_22992986

I wouldn't get too concerned with my motivation, though. I've been working steadily virtually every opportunity I get...and I don't even have a projector yet! Just got back from 2 weeks of travel for work which included some fact-finding work for the home theater design. You see? Even when I'm working thousands of miles away I'm still working on my theater! Pics to follow soon...

Having met Tim the other day I can attest to the fact that his HT is progressing just fine albeit in his head rather than with nails and wood

He has lots of ambitious ideas and its gong to be fun watching progress over the next three years... [just kidding]

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
Holy Sheep Dip Batman! Logan has actually Loganed someone? Man o man I had such high hope for this thread, now it will go the way of the dinosaur, fade off into oblivion, and never ever never ever be completed. Ah but that's OK as we all know all to well a theater is NEVER actually completed, done, ot finished. It actually remains in a fluid state slowly changing and evolving. Useable, and able to be enjoyed, but NEVER complete.

Nice to see Tom actually come out of retirement for the joy of Loganing someone again.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
Thanks Moggie, JPA! I am trying to move forward on the theater, but fair warning - this weekend is reserved to get the nursery painted and in-order in case baby comes early we are ready. I don't like to leave things to the last minute, but a potential due date 7 weeks ahead of schedule has forced my hand.

As I said above, I had to travel to the West Coast for work the last 11 days during which time I made full use of my downtime / personal time to do a bit of R&D for my theater. After a very nice dinner with Chuck Back of Procella Audio one night, the next morning I had a few hours to kill before my flight left the next morning...time I was able to fill with a personal invite to QSC Audio, specifically to listen and audition their new Core 250i DSP that will be the replacement product for the older QSC DSP-322ua, 922 and other BASIS products. According to QSC, the new processor is the equivalent of a brand new Ferrari 458 Italia vs. an older 360 Modena - both are very competent but the new one has years of new engineering development on a completely new ultra-fast technology platform with unparalleled signal control. Admittedly, for my purposes some of the features are the equivalent of using a sledgehammer to open a walnut. But the new technology was clearly superior over their older technology in virtually every way. Now, if the *($&! thing wasn't nearly $9,000 as I would need it configured, it would be an easy choice to buy. But given the heavy price tag I will probably just have to play the lottery or hope for a bank error in my favor. All tolled I was at QSC headquarters for just under three hours and met a number of the technical folks while I was there. I had my camera and could take a few pictures, but most picture-taking was off-limits as you might imagine.

QSC World Headquarters

New Core 500i DSP with outboard i/o card frame

21" subwoofer with 6" voice coil and 4 folded horns. They said this beast is flat to 12Hz at 120db and is designed to replace dual 18s with better power handling and control. Quote "Why am I smiling?"

So after arriving in San Francisco that night, the next morning I headed to Oakland to visit the Paramount Theater in-person. The downside with my visit is that I only had my 4MP Canon point-and-shoot vs. my digital SLR, so the low-light pics are not the best. But I did my best with the manual controls to get the best low-light photos I could, especially considering I did not have a tripod with me. Some of the photos show a lack of focus because I was hand-steadying the camera during the exposures. I ended up taking over 200 pictures while I was there...many were of the overall theater as you can find in Google Images and the like while many, many more were of the "weird" pictures - light fixtures, moldings, up-close architectural details, etc.

Overall it was an extensive 2h 15m tour of the entire facility with the cost of admission as only $5 - you can't beat the value!!!

You will see in many of the pictures the compact fluorescent work lights were on because the cleaning crews were in the building cleaning up Friday night's mess. Incidentally, they still show movies and that Friday night's feature was Casablanca from the original film rolls. The cost of admission to the movie was just $5 and there were only 27 available seats out of the 3300+ seat theater. Almost a sold out show so you can see this theater's nostalgic popularity. You are literally watching film movies in an authentic deco theater on a period-correct projector. The only upgrade from original was the audio system.

For those of you who love pictures.....this is the post for you! Please be considerate to other members and do NOT quote this post so this huge list of pictures is not replicated and choking out everyone's browsers. If you would like to parse through the pictures and re-post a specific pic with a comment or question, then that is fine.

Now, on to the pictures!!!!

Outside the Paramount

Underside of main entrance awning, complete with old-timey edison lights

RT ROSE - This Art Deco Secret Squirrel is for you...

Main lobby as seen from balcony steps

Main entrance doors

Main entrance Art Deco movie poster box

Looking straight up at main lobby ceiling

Steps leading to the balcony

The Light Waterfall in the main lobby

Decorative metalwork detail in main lobby

Main theater as seen from balcony

Left side of theater - gold leafed plaster

Right side of theater

I wanted to steal all of these light fixtures!

Side box office doors

Main ceiling as seen from stage - FYI all the fluorescent work lights were on as cleaning was taking place

Looking straight up at theater ceiling metalwork

Ceiling as seen from balcony

Projector viewports in balcony

Looking through balcony portal to main lobby ceiling

Side of seating with flash

and without

Balcony concession area main ceiling

Our tour guide Lori beside the electronic usher stand

Metalwork between main lobby and balcony lounge

Other side of decorative metalwork

Basement lounge

Basement lounge glass / nickel column detail

Balcony lounge door

Upstairs men's lounge / restroom

Corner light outside men's restroom

Coffered ceiling lighting in men's restroom lounge

Underside of soffit of men's restroom lounge - Hungarian Ash is the wood, fyi

I am sure all of these air grates measure under 250 fpm....

Main lobby nickel molding and black marble detail

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
Wow those are some awesome pics. Very very nice and classy. There is just a certain elegance to the Art Deco style. Love the squirrel as well. Thanks for the nod, very cool.

On the baby front good luck with that as it is always better to be prepared and ready for the little one's arrival.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
The gods of AVS have been appeased. You're good for a while..... You know, 24-48 hours

I feel for you on getting ready for the baby. I was up at 2 a.m. laying hardwood in our old house and got all of 3 hours sleep before our first son decided it was time to make an appearance. Being exhausted like that made those first few weeks tough. Get some sleep every chance you get, my friend

321 - 340 of 3235 Posts