AVS Forum banner

341 - 360 of 3235 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A  /t/1442340/the-stonewater-cinema-build-thread/330#post_22996171

The gods of AVS have been appeased. You're good for a while..... You know, 24-48 hours

Hmmm....perhaps I should have parsed out the pictures over time instead of dumping them all at once. By way of update, the QSC pics are now in the picture post above. I guess I'll have to find some fresh content over the next handful of days to appease the AVS gods....

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
PROGRESS UPDATE

A couple of weeks ago I came very close to finishing the 2nd layer of 5/8" drywall with Green Glue in the theater ceiling before I ran out of drywall. What you see here is 26 full 4x8 sheets of 5/8" drywall to make up the two layers. One of the first things I did right after returning from California late Wednesday night is have my Father In Law take me to Lowe's to get more drywall since I had his help and since he had a vehicle that could carry sheet material. I was exhausted, but also glad the resource was available to help me get two more sheets to finish things up. You'll see a couple of bays in the back right that do not have drywall and there are three tougher pieces in the ceiling at the rear of the room where I will have to spend some time working around the mechanicals with what will amount to drywall jigsaw puzzle pieces. These will be the most tedious and I am saving them for last. If I do one thing beyond the nursery it will be to finish up the 2nd layer of drywall in the ceiling 100% and do a major cleanup of the room with all the drywall dust.

Wide shot of two full layers done with all seams caulked

One of the most difficult pieces to install. This is on the far left in the above pictures, above the left wall and steel beam and right beside the jut-out for the steps. Unmovable electrical wires as well:

The three+ pieces at the rear of the theater that I need to finish. I saved these for last and had fortunately run out of drywall just before tackling this area

26 sheets of drywall and only these skinny pieces of scrap remained. I am going to wait until I am completely finished with the second layer, but I'll probably just end up scrapping this waste to get it out of my way since the pieces are so small and oddly shaped.

Hopefully this buys me another 24 hours with the AVS Forum gods....

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #345

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred  /t/1442340/the-stonewater-cinema-build-thread/330#post_22996933

You sharpen a lot of pencils down there?

Ha ha - 50 new pictures and that's what you key in on? LOL!
I prefer the precision of a real pencil vs. a carpenter pencil, but the tips break and need sharpened often. About 10% of the way into framing my basement I dug the wall-mounted sharpener out to make my life easy. Also helped for all the pencil lines I had to do for the drywall in between the ceiling joists since nothing was square.

You better look out Fred....I'm looking to pass you up in theater progress in the coming weeks!! You've been warned. Maybe I'll even T-Mac you for lack of progress....

·
Registered
269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG  /t/1442340/the-stonewater-cinema-build-thread/300_100#post_22996803

Wide shot of two full layers done with all seams caulked

I'm amazed by how clean all of your joist bays are. I take it your HVAC ducting for the floor above is all run outside of the basement?

I didn't even contemplate doing the drywall between joist bays due to the frequency of duct/wire/pipe penetrations in my basement.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjagox  /t/1442340/the-stonewater-cinema-build-thread/330#post_22997050

I'm amazed by how clean all of your joist bays are. I take it your HVAC ducting for the floor above is all run outside of the basement?

I didn't even contemplate doing the drywall between joist bays due to the frequency of duct/wire/pipe penetrations in my basement.

You can see curled up wires here and there in the pictures - this was what I could temporarily remove to get it out of my way for later reinstallation. The basement has a dedicated HVAC system and the HVAC for the first and second floors is located above the second floor in the attic, eliminating any first floor duct work in the basement. I also worked with the builder when the house was being built to keep this area as clean as possible. My biggest complaint is the AC line sets for the outside condensing unit...they wouldn't flip them to the other side of the steel beam (i.e. outside the theater) for a number of reasons. I also have to contend with all the gas lines. The best I could do is keep all the mechanicals huddled together in the back of the room where they can be encased in a perimeter soffit at a later point.

I have two 6" supply take-offs coming off the main HVAC trunk line already. Now that those joist bays are complete I can proceed with connecting up the HVAC supply ducting for the theater to its final position. No promises, but this task is on my "to-do" list for next week as it is the last work I need to do on the HVAC system before the whole thing is inspected. Since I did virtually everything myself (except connect the HVAC line sets and gas line which requires a license) I hope it passes on the first inspection. I don't foresee any problems, but you just never know.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Beautiful pics! Did they tell when the new QSC would be available for purchase?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #349

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikgrao  /t/1442340/the-stonewater-cinema-build-thread/330#post_22997083

Beautiful pics! Did they tell when the new QSC would be available for purchase?

The new QSC Core 250i and 500i were released in June 2012: http://www.qscaudio.com/press/news.php?id=374

Here's a direct link to their product information page. There are plenty of downloads that lead you through all the available features plus a nice little video overview. http://qsc.com/products/network/QSys/

With my theater having a total of 14 channels (9 Procella P6s, 3 Procella P10, 2 subs), I needed 4 input and 4 output cards. The unit itself is $4500 and then the cards are around $500 each. Considering I need 8, that brings the total to $8500 plus tax, fyi. By comparison, two QSC DSP-322ua will handle the same number of channels and are $3600 each for a total of $7200. It's a significant upgrade in features, performance and sound quality for an extra $1200 difference, plus you are now on the new technology platform moving forward and not tied to a line of products that will be discontinued in the coming year or two. They are actively developing many Apps and feature updates for this unit, it can be easily controlled through an iPad and has an integrated solid state hard drive so you can play wave files, stream content over your network and do many, many other things the 322ua cannot even dream about doing. The bottom line is that it is a much more functional and forward-integrated piece of equipment than its predecessor. Gee, I sound like I work in QSC sales!!

Your system has 8 channels which is the magic price point number, so your cost differential is probably much larger considering you wouldn't be filling out the chassis and just one DSP-322ua would suit your needs.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Tim,

Thanks for the link and explanation
. I would actually be needing two of the QSC 322 for controlling 6 surrounds, 3 mains and two subs plus an external amp to power my surrounds along with my receiver since it does not have amp in. For now i will only be doing 7.1 and not use my addtional procella surrounds untill i buy DSP gear.

Since cost was also one of the issue for me( More issue with the wife than price
) i was looking into other options, I was discussing with another forum member Peter M (another down under theater) and i think he has the exact same setup as yours. As per him his Procella package came with a Pair of Xilica XP 4080 DSP which is way lesser than the QSC but has all the similar functions. http://www.xilica.com/?c=78&cat=2&id=5

Xilica also came out with the advanced Neutrino series with various options 8x8, 8x16 and 16x16. This also is supposed to be lesser than QSC but with similar functions or more better. On their website it says under latest news that now their are dealers in the US but i am not sure if they will be carrying all the product lines.
http://www.xilica.com/?c=78&cat=7

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Awesome progress! The more I look at those pictures, there more impressive the detail in that theater is. Truly amazing.

Signal processing is one aspect I've been stewing over a bit. If you don't go with the QSC DSP, what alternatives are you looking at? I'm not saying I won't pony up 9 large for one, but it will only be after I've exhausted all the other options out there and I'm convinced the cost difference is worthwhile.

Edit: BTW, where are the other three P6s going? I only count 6 in your layout?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #352

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikgrao  /t/1442340/the-stonewater-cinema-build-thread/330#post_22997444

Tim,

Thanks for the link and explanation
. I would actually be needing two of the QSC 322 for controlling 6 surrounds, 3 mains and two subs plus an external amp to power my surrounds along with my receiver since it does not have amp in. For now i will only be doing 7.1 and not use my addtional procella surrounds untill i buy DSP gear.

Since cost was also one of the issue for me( More issue with the wife than price
) i was looking into other options, I was discussing with another forum member Peter M (another down under theater) and i think he has the exact same setup as yours. As per him his Procella package came with a Pair of Xilica XP 4080 DSP which is way lesser than the QSC but has all the similar functions. http://www.xilica.com/?c=78&cat=2&id=5

Xilica also came out with the advanced Neutrino series with various options 8x8, 8x16 and 16x16. This also is supposed to be lesser than QSC but with similar functions or more better. On their website it says under latest news that now their are dealers in the US but i am not sure if they will be carrying all the product lines.
http://www.xilica.com/?c=78&cat=7

I am aware that Procella uses the Xilica DSPs (XP-3060) at tradeshows for the active crossover section of the left / center / right speakers. That may have changed now that they have outboard amplifiers with DSP built-in. Probably a good question for Gerben or one of the Procella heads to chime in on.

As for other options...Behringer seems to be a high-value alternative but I am unfamiliar with this part of their product line at this point to offer any advice. Let's keep each other in the loop on this one since we both have the same needs. BTW, when I made my comment above I thought you only had seven channels plus one sub. Going back I now see you have two pairs of sides and plans to add a second sub at some point -
- I can only imagine what two subs in that room must feel like if just the one was already shaking your house to its core!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A  /t/1442340/the-stonewater-cinema-build-thread/330#post_22997458

Awesome progress! The more I look at those pictures, there more impressive the detail in that theater is. Truly amazing.

Signal processing is one aspect I've been stewing over a bit. If you don't go with the QSC DSP, what alternatives are you looking at? I'm not saying I won't pony up 9 large for one, but it will only be after I've exhausted all the other options out there and I'm convinced the cost difference is worthwhile.

Edit: BTW, where are the other three P6s going? I only count 6 in your layout?

See comment above regarding the DSP.

Regarding the P6s....technically speaking the P610 being used for the left, center and right speakers are a standard P6 attached to a P10i subwoofer / bass module with a simple bracket that allows the P6 to pivot toward the listening position. So the bass module is quite literally treated as a completely separate channel and requires an active outboard crossover to integrate with the P6 attached to it (and separate amplification, fyi). So the nine P6 speakers are left, center, right, front side speakers, rear side speakers and rear surround speakers. Then the three P10 bass modules, then stereo subs. So this gives me 14 channels with two channels to spare for balancing subwoofers, Buttkicker signal, height or width channels, etc. Perhaps the 15th channel will be used for a balancing subwoofer and the 16th channel will be used to provide the combined LFE signal to an outboard amplifier powering the Buttkickers built into the theater seating.

But managing 16 channels of audio signal through a single DSP seems like kids play vs. managing 30 separate lighting zones with two different IP-based and a single RS-232-based lighting controllers...just for this theater room. Scary thing is I foresee this number going to 34 different lighting zones. Wait until I publish that lighting schematic!

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Got you!..I will look into behringer also. The sub shook the house when me, BIG AND RT hauled it into the room and wanted to test for fun without calibration or other speakers hooked
. Now with everything dialed it blends so good with the other speakers and restricts itself to mostly the room unless I don't want it to and turn the gain up.

Wish I had a "fast forward into the future AVSFORUM app!" Because I really want to see how your lighting turns out. I guess you should post videos when the lighting is done instead of pics!

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Lol!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #357

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A  /t/1442340/the-stonewater-cinema-build-thread/330#post_22998145

Just when I was content with the pictures and updates we've gotten so far, you go and drop a teaser like that....... The harassment will have to commence yet again

I wouldn't call it so much of a teaser as I would one of those "I-just-haven't-got-to-posting-it-yet" things....

Looking at my running tally I still owe postings on the following:
  • Full existing and proposed equipment list, including streaming and control options
  • General discussion on LED lighting and control systems
  • My full theater lighting plan
  • Column metalwork design options
  • Pictures of my full-scale column backlit alabaster mock-up
  • Pictures of all the other equipment and theater "stuff" I have accumulated in the past month
  • Update on pros / cons of different sub options for my theater (i.e. Infinite Baffle vs. DIY subs, including driver selections)
  • Additional theater-related stops I made during my 11 day trip to the West Coast, including another informal theater review
  • Photos of the new carpet and design options, including acoustically transparent fabric
  • Aesthetic design of the soundproof door, including Sensitile edge-lit acrylic options

And that's all I can think of off the top of my head! I guess I'll just have to live with the harassment....

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG  /t/1442340/the-stonewater-cinema-build-thread/330#post_22997941

As for other options...Behringer seems to be a high-value alternative but I am unfamiliar with this part of their product line at this point to offer any advice. Let's keep each other in the loop on this one since we both have the same needs.

Speaking of high-value, I use the Berhinger DCX2496 for my front/rear subs & tactile transducers. It's fully configurable 3in/6out DSP using XLR connectors and I've been very impressed -- front panel config is complex but the windows app makes it pretty easy. I can't imagine why there would be a need to go further up market at least for bass management. Full range channels may see some improvements from the higher priced specialty products but this product can certainly help keep costs down if you are prepared to "mix & match".

341 - 360 of 3235 Posts