AVS Forum banner

361 - 380 of 3235 Posts

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #362
Thanks for the suggestion Mr. Tim. I had not heard of that company / product before. The big thing I have to think about is that I will be bringing in professional calibration at some point so it should be a system the calibrator is experienced in using.

HopefulFred is right - I recall QSC saying over and over again that their new Core processors have 2.5ms signal-to-signal fixed latency. I believe they also said there is some sort of patents they have so no one else can duplicate their performance. I'm going form memory so I am probably misstating this, but that's some of what I recall.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #363
For those following this thread there was some conversation about a 100 posts ago about my reservations in NOT making a big investment in certain pieces of AV equipment because the technological curve is steep and the plateau has not been reached. Theoretically you could argue this is the case for ALL AV gear, but there are certainly sound arguments to make investments in speakers, amplifiers, wires, power protection / battery backup components, anamorphic lenses, subwoofers, lighting control, projection screens, etc. with little worry that something is going to be horrendously outdated in a year or two.

I had said that I am hesitant to spend any more than I absolutely need to get reasonably good performance. In short, I am looking for the value-option in certain product categories such as the projector, the preamp, streaming media devices and even a BluRay player. Many of you had said that you feel the same for the same reasons.

Well, I just stumbled across a news article today that I either completely missed or it was not well-publicized: that there is a new HDMI 2.0 standard coming in the first half of this year that is designed to address many of the limitations of the HDMI 1.4 (and earlier) standards, specifically around 4k and 3D. Wikipedia actually had the best succinct summary:
Quote:
Version 2.0

The HDMI Forum is working on the HDMI 2.0 specification. In a 2012 CES press release HDMI Licensing, LLC stated that the expected release date for the next version of HDMI was the second half of 2012 and that important improvements needed for HDMI include increased bandwidth to allow for higher resolutions and broader video timing support. Longer term goals for HDMI include better support for mobile devices and improved control functions.

On January 8, 2013, HDMI Licensing, LLC announced that the next HDMI version is being worked on by the 83 members of the HDMI Forum and that it is expected to be released in the first half of 2013.

Based on HDMI Forum meetings it is expected that HDMI 2.0 will increase the maximum TMDS per channel throughput from 3.4 Gbit/s to 6 Gbit/s which would allow a maximum total TMDS throughput of 18 Gbit/s. This will allow HDMI 2.0 to support 4K resolution at 60 frames per second (fps). Other features that are expected for HDMI 2.0 include support for 4:2:0 chroma subsampling, support for 25 fps 3D formats, improved 3D capability, support for more than 8 channels of audio, support for the HE-AAC and DRA audio standards, dynamic auto lip-sync, and additional CEC functions.

So perhaps the Marantz AV8801 or Emotiva XMC-1 preamp I was eyeing may have an HDMI 2.0-compliant relative released at CEDIA 2013 or CES 2014. And perhaps this is the year that many more value-priced manufacturers such as Panasonic and Epson will join JVC on the 4K bandwagon with HDMI 2.0-compliant inputs and capabilities. This would also mean that the HDMI 1.4 matrix switch I was looking at for whole-home HDMI distribution may be delayed until they release an updated version since I have the time to wait. And certainly the Audio Control BVHD-20 I was looking at for signal transfer from my Home Theater preamp to my projector nearly 45 feet away will be replaced by a new HDMI 2.0 compliant model.

I might just end up with a beautiful Art Deco home theater with zero projector, preamp or bluray until I have had adequate time to sniff over the new models being released at this year's CEDIA. That would be the very definition of torture....but then again, what's the point of this hobby without a little pain!

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I am assuming that's a smart decision and not having to worry about upgrading..the way you are meticulously and methodically going forward with your build by the time your done with it i think there wont be much waiting to do for buying the new gear !

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
That smiley i put was the confusing part. I was dead serious. I had the same dilemma, Before buying my epson 6020 and panamorph lens i was thinking why don't i wait till the end of the year and maybe a newer model will succeed the current Sony VW1000 and i can go ahead and then get myself the VW1000 for a cheaper price. But the temptation to just buy something right away and watch got the better of me!

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
^^^^^^In case you did not know Vik has a consistent case of upgradeitus. It is one of the most incurable/uncureable cases I have ever seen. His is the worst type too. It is the contagious type that spreads to others in close proximity. With my sub being down, I now have the sudden and uncontrollable urge to buy an Orbitshifter. Now the only thing stopping me is my pocketbook.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
6,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG  /t/1442340/the-stonewater-cinema-build-thread/300_100#post_23011072

I think Mrs. RTROSE would call that sub a Husbandshifter...because it would shift you right out the front door!!

I had no idea you KNEW my wife! What a small world!
This made me chuckle out loud as it is 100% correct!

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE  /t/1442340/the-stonewater-cinema-build-thread/360#post_23011091

I had no idea you KNEW my wife! What a small world!
This made me chuckle out loud as it is 100% correct!

Regards,

RTROSE

I think this would apply to almost all wives.

Mine included!

·
Premium Member
666 Posts

RT go for it! if you shift i will take you in in a heartbeat
i mean not in the wrong way
what the heck am i talking

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
Now that is a TRUE AVS buddy right there. Offering to take me in (in a good way
) should my marital status change. Can't ask for more than that. However it does pose a problem.......If I get the Orbitshifter, and the Mrs kicks me out, then it is all for nothing as I'm sure that I would then promptly be separated from Mrs RTROSE and the Orbitshifter.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Premium Member
666 Posts

·
Registered
2,610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A  /t/1442340/the-stonewater-cinema-build-thread/360#post_23010628

Buying AV gear is a risky business. It feels like it's two models behind by the time you get home with it.

Or one decides to stay two generations behind and pick up the no longer wanted gear from those who have to stay on the bleeding edge at very good prices.

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
^^^^^^This should be on a fortune cookie.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
That is true beauty. Even the urinals are classy. I have not seen floor length urinals since my elementary school days. Thanks for sharing the extra pics. Very classy. Doesn't give you a "total" pass though on construction pics, a reprieve yes, a total pass, no.

Regards,

RTROSE

361 - 380 of 3235 Posts