AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We're moving! Been in a condo for 5 years with a makeshift theater space and we now finally have a house. Well, sorta....more on that at the end of the post.

This idea has evolved quite a bit over the last few months. It started as a generic "hangout" space with mobile sectional seating, UST projection, and a ridiculous concept for mounting 4 identical center-channel speakers on an 8' ceiling for Atmos. My ideas were a little...misguided? Perhaps just a little far-fetched.

I think I've started to upgrade nicely from that.

Here are some crude floorplans for the space, starting with how this part of the house is as it exists now:

The house was built 100 years ago and crudely added onto/renovated. A lot of that is coming out and being fixed. The is basically the back left part of the building. It is bordered by sidewalk on left side, a small walkway (at top) that seperates it from another building on the property, and then a private yard area on the right. Here's what we plan to do to the space:

Aside from floor finishes, notable changes are walls moved and added to accomodate the viewing space. The door in the top left corner will be removed. The "Bedroom 3" from first picture is shortened, creating one continuous rear wall of the theater, also eliminating the "closet" as well. The "W/C 2" entry wall is brought forward to be flush with the short wall that partitions the kitchenette from the main theater space (trying to get as even a rectangle as possible). That short kitchenette partition is extended all the way to the front wall of the space, with a sliding "barn style" door for entry.

I've planned for about 36" of space behind the screen wall for speakers, front subs, and AV rack. Access to this area will via a door built into the extended kitchenette wall.

Equipment List as follows:

Marantz SR6011 | MiniDSP 2x4HD
JBL Studio 590 LCR | Studio 530 Surrounds (x4) | Control 227C Atmos (x4)
PSA S3000i | S360i | T-18HT (x2)

JVC DLA-X790R | Seymour CenterStage XD 162" 2.35 w/ motorized masking to 1.78 and 1.85
Oppo 203 | Apple TV 4K | Harmony Elite

Only thing I haven't purchased is the screen as we aren't living there yet and nowhere to store it in the meantime.

Room Treaments: Acoustimac. Unsure of what exactly will be purchased but using the Large HT package as a guideline.

Some ~glamour~ shots (none of the furniture, speakers, etc are representative of the actual products or colors, however most are to scale)

Walls and ceiling will be painted in Benjamin Moore's Century Obsidian, screen wall will be black fidelio velvet. Black carpeting throughout. This should be a black hole, minus the sofa and some other small accents/treatments.

Seating distance is 12', PJ throw distance is 18'. I know HDR will suffer, but I hope to have it professionally calibrated next year to help with that.

The "barn door" concept concerns me from a sound quality standpoint. It was a carry-over from the previous iteration of this space, and while I love the concept...I think a solid door will do much better here. It was going to be treated on the theater-side of the panel. Space in the kitchen is TIGHT so I didn't necessarily want to have another thing to get in the way - a sliding door is at least less invasive.

Only wall I plan on having doubled is the rear wall of the theater. I feel like that has the biggest oppotunity for sound bleed to the rest of the house.

I don't know where I'm going to put the other two subs yet. I was thinking in the rear corners, but the bottom right corner (near the W/C 2) has very little space and all 4 subs are behemoths. Maybe T-18s behind the screen, S3000i in that small corner and then the S3600i in the rear left corner? I realize this is something I'm going to have to play with...I had also considered nearfield for the T18s, but that sorta gets in the way of the pub tables behind MLP.

I'm open to criticism, ideas, and recommendations! The house is currently tenant-occupied, and with COVID moratoriums in place here in California, it will be a few months at least before we get to start doing any real work.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Everything is looking good, but I think you should consider placing the AV rack outside the theater. Maybe in the kitchnette, or the studio, if there's enough space there? That would give you the possibility to eventually put the 4 subwoofers on the corners. Or even if not, it's always good to have the rack outside the room.

Another possible improvement is the projector's placement, have you considered making a projector box? Or perhaps placing the projector outside the room, to avoid the noise?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey mate - looks like a nice space - good to see all that black - and nice pre-visuals too :)

I did a quick to-scale of that - damn those Subs are massive! Looks like they will be taking up a fair chunk of the front sound stage.
Nearly 1 metre wide - is that right? Noice.

After watching videos that @BIGmouthinDC mentioned: AVPro Edge with Anthony Grimani - I've tweaked some of my plan templates.
They are pretty good vids - some go for a long time - I waded through the 'Expert Audio Series' for his experience on layout, speaker placement and room treatment.

Some distilled points of interest applied here:
- Front Left and Right at 22.5 degrees or so.
- A sub in each of the 4 corners (the front too won't really fit there with the L & R placement)
- Side channels at 100 degrees (mostly) and around 15 degrees up the wall from ear height
- Angle speakers towards MLP
- Screen width at around 50 degrees view angle for immersion
- Atmos closer to room centre (towards the middle of L&C and R&C)

That affects your rack at the front - not sure there's room for that there (and good points from @Silva741 too).

I presume you already have the lounge? Looks super comfy - shame it has to be off-centre (I presume to better allow traffic).

Screen is nice and big - if you had to go smaller - a 150" screen gets you to 53 deg, and 140" is around the 50 deg mark.

All the best with it!

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything is looking good, but I think you should consider placing the AV rack outside the theater. Maybe in the kitchnette, or the studio, if there's enough space there? That would give you the possibility to eventually put the 4 subwoofers on the corners. Or even if not, it's always good to have the rack outside the room.

Another possible improvement is the projector's placement, have you considered making a projector box? Or perhaps placing the projector outside the room, to avoid the noise?
I’ve been going back and forth with rack placement too. I think outside, above the kitchen, makes the most sense like you’ve suggested. And if that gives me more freedom of placement/symmetry for the subs, then I’m definitely going to work on that.

I haven’t considered a projector box. You think it would be audible 6 feet back and 3 feet up? Never had a pj before so it’s new to me. In fact the x790 gets delivered tomorrow so I will find out soon enough.

Thank you!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey mate - looks like a nice space - good to see all that black - and nice pre-visuals too :)

I did a quick to-scale of that - damn those Subs are massive! Looks like they will be taking up a fair chunk of the front sound stage.
Nearly 1 metre wide - is that right? Noice.

After watching videos that @BIGmouthinDC mentioned: AVPro Edge with Anthony Grimani - I've tweaked some of my plan templates.
They are pretty good vids - some go for a long time - I waded through the 'Expert Audio Series' for his experience on layout, speaker placement and room treatment.

Some distilled points of interest applied here:
- Front Left and Right at 22.5 degrees or so.
- A sub in each of the 4 corners (the front too won't really fit there with the L & R placement)
- Side channels at 100 degrees (mostly) and around 15 degrees up the wall from ear height
- Angle speakers towards MLP
- Screen width at around 50 degrees view angle for immersion
- Atmos closer to room centre (towards the middle of L&C and R&C)

That affects your rack at the front - not sure there's room for that there (and good points from @Silva741 too).

I presume you already have the lounge? Looks super comfy - shame it has to be off-centre (I presume to better allow traffic).

Screen is nice and big - if you had to go smaller - a 150" screen gets you to 53 deg, and 140" is around the 50 deg mark.

All the best with it!
Wow! What a wealth of info, and thank you so much for taking the time to put together those angles/measurements for me! I think the subs will fit just fine. Yes, they are massive (the t-18’s especially) but they should fit next to the L/R ok. The screen is 13’ wide, so if the L/R aren’t at the VERY tippy edge of the screen, everything should squeeze in nicely.

I do not have the sofa lounger yet - I have my eye on a few pieces across different stores. It was very hard to find something that had the same shape as what is in the render - the software I use has mostly discontinued French furniture pieces to play with 😂

·
Registered
500 Posts
I’ve been going back and forth with rack placement too. I think outside, above the kitchen, makes the most sense like you’ve suggested. And if that gives me more freedom of placement/symmetry for the subs, then I’m definitely going to work on that.

I haven’t considered a projector box. You think it would be audible 6 feet back and 3 feet up? Never had a pj before so it’s new to me. In fact the x790 gets delivered tomorrow so I will find out soon enough.
I think the latest generation of JVC projectors is quieter, and the x790 is a few decibels noisier. I'd guess that you won't notice it much when in LOW MODE, but will when in HIGH MODE.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
I think the latest generation of JVC projectors is quieter, and the x790 is a few decibels noisier. I'd guess that you won't notice it much when in LOW MODE, but will when in HIGH MODE.
You are right on, I have the x790 and in high mode you can definitely hear it during quiet scenes. My seat is about 6' forward of the projector. I just bought some acoustic foam panels to line the box but since it vents in the front my expectations are low. worth a shot for $18 though.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just an FYI, the Century paint is being discontinued. Buy extra if you think you'll need it. I considered the Century but I going with another brand that isn't being discontinued.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You are right on, I have the x790 and in high mode you can definitely hear it during quiet scenes. My seat is about 6' forward of the projector. I just bought some acoustic foam panels to line the box but since it vents in the front my expectations are low. worth a shot for $18 though.
The ceiling mount (thanks, @Mike Garrett ) will be delivered this week. Do I still build a hush box despite the ceiling placement? I'd imagine it's just built around the projector after mounting.

Just an FYI, the Century paint is being discontinued. Buy extra if you think you'll need it. I considered the Century but I going with another brand that isn't being discontinued.
I know :( I got my gallon from another forum member here just a couple of months ago.

-----------

When I received by JBL Control 227C's a while back, the sheer size of the baffle surprised me. You don't really realize how large a 12" diameter is until holding it in your hand. I considered going with the 328's since the baffle size was the same, but A) they were considerably more expensive, and B) the backcan was going to be several inches deeper than the ones for the 227.

Today, the MTC-200BB6 backcans were delivered, and I literally lol'd when I opened the box. THESE ARE HUGE, TOO!

So as far as getting these in the ceiling, I gather I have to install the back can first from the attic, then attach the speaker from within the room. I'm a little vague on the details for mounting the can to the ceiling, and JBL doesn't spell it out for you, either. I believe I have to cut out a 12" circular hole that the back can slips into. There's a 3/4" lip that is set back from the rim of the can - does this just sit on the attic-side of the sheetrock? The whole thing reminds me of a cork. Then there's 4 of these 5" long metal straps coming from the lip - what are those for?

Again, in all the documentation I could find from JBL and abroad, nothing specifically mentions in-ceiling mounting, only suspension from a ceiling OR using the MTC-brackets for drop-ceiling contruction.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Managed to order some through a shop in Los Angeles yesterday - hopefully 3 gallons total is enough. I'm doing 2 side walls and ceiling - the screen wall will be velvet and the rear wall will be some kind of gray to match the sofa. It I need more, it should be no problem ordering within a reasonable timeline, however they did say there were only 19 gallons left :eek: Not sure if that's the national supply available or just what that particular Ben Moore warehouse had left. Either way, yikes!

So I was thinking about this a little bit - with all of my sources in the rack being controlled by the Harmony Elite, that shouldn't be a problem for responsiveness. But what about things like the PS4, Switch, etc? Game consoles that are not compatible with the Harmony ecosystem will probably have poor connectivity in the next room, right? Should I have a seperate mini-rack somewhere in the room JUST for video games?

FWIW, the barn door idea has been scrapped. I still don't want a traditional swing-open door. Browsing through options for pocket doors to see if there's anything heavy and solid enough.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been browsing through a lot of Acoustimac's room packages and think I will probably end up with a combination of items. I went in and put up as many panels as would fit in the room design and ended up with 20, 8 of which are corner bass traps (two 24x48x4" stacked in each corner). I also moved the AV rack out from behind the screen per guidance received earlier, rearranged the subs, and got rid of the barn door.

One image shared by @davehasplans showed the T18's behind the screen and the other two subs in the rear corners, however I think the T18's are far too large to go up there. So I've put them in the rear corners instead - I think they fit nicer, especially if one of the 3 drivers is parallel to each of the corner bass traps.

I'm toying with the idea of wiring for 9.4.4 instead of 7.4.4. I have three pairs of JBL Studio 530's right now (I got a bit excited when they went on sale last year), which would allow me to install front wides. My Marantz SR6011 can't make any use of front wides natively, but it wouldn't hurt to have everything ready for the eventual upgrade to a newer AVR. I've also seen other HTs wire their wides and surrounds together in parallel - the JBL 530s are 6 ohm so I fear that would require too much from the AVR, though.

Does the back of the room seem too cluttered? I'm a bit concerned about path width - from the T18 in lower right corner to the edge of the pub table is about 28".

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally settled on a seating option! Ditching the sectional idea after much deliberation.

I was against traditional theater recliners as I didn't like the "Lazyboy" overly-puffy (while I'm sure comfy) cushions. Everything in the theater is should maintain sharp lines, and I wanted something similar in the seating. This was easily accomplished with MANY modern sectionals and sofas, but they looked horribly uncomfortable to be sitting or lounging in for long periods of time. So I circled back to theater recliners. And found the Apex line by Seatcraft.

Edited the coloring in the photo to loosely match the gray color we'd be ordering. The seats will be ordered in a dual-loveseat configuration, which makes them 119" wide and pretty closely lines up with what was in the renders posted earlier. 4 individual seats was about 134" wide, and I couldn't spare that much width.

I also found these barstools to use behind the seats - I think the diamond pattern matches well :)

The other thing I've decided to do is implement a HoverBOSS mini-riser.... one rabbit hole after another, I tell ya....

With Covid-19 raging on like it has been, I don't see us moving into the new house until much later than anticipated. This is disappointing, but the current tenants (a young family) in the house at least have a roof and safe space to hunker down during all of this, so I'm happy for that. We wouldn't dream of evicting them out right now, even if we were able to - eviction moratoriums are in place at least until the end of September, if not eventually longer.

One thing that gets me through the days while waiting to begin this project is the sight I have when pulling into my garage every day after work.

Big boy woofs :cool:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Little things: Updated the room render with more accurate seating (still a challenge with the HomeByMe program, but getting better) and slightly edited color pallette. Thinking of doing the back wall in a gray that matches the seating. Blackout up front, accent wall in the rear. The mullet of home theaters in concept only? I'll let you decide.

Lightened up the carpet in this pic so the individual features stand out. Black rectangle under seats is representative of the HoverBOSS mini riser that will be built.

The HoverBOSS tubes arrived the other day. I've got 6 right now. Definitely going with 6 drivers under the seats, just a matter of spacing....and whether I should add a couple of 18's as well as suggested in the TR thread. Might be overkill as I don't want a gimmicky experience - that's why I'm going away from bass shakers.

Layouts proposed:

1x 12" driver for each 27" tube

2x 12" drivers per tube for 3x tubes, and 1x 18" driver per tube for 2x tubes

·
Registered
212 Posts
First off, congrats on moving out of a condo into a house! You have done a great job laying out your ideas, especially the drawings and I think you are going to wind up with a very nice space!

I gather you have actual access to the attic space above your room, in other words , there is room for you to crawl around up there? I'm asking because I had a thought about mounting your ceiling speakers, but it would require such access...

From the pictures you've shown, it looks like those straps might used to mount the back can to the ceiling joists, but if thats the case, I think it would be a PITA to do... I also think a lot is going to depend upon the spacing of your joists.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First off, congrats on moving out of a condo into a house! You have done a great job laying out your ideas, especially the drawings and I think you are going to wind up with a very nice space!

I gather you have actual access to the attic space above your room, in other words , there is room for you to crawl around up there? I'm asking because I had a thought about mounting your ceiling speakers, but it would require such access...

From the pictures you've shown, it looks like those straps might used to mount the back can to the ceiling joists, but if thats the case, I think it would be a PITA to do... I also think a lot is going to depend upon the spacing of your joists.
Thank you so much! Yes, there will be attic access. It's not a huge attic by any means, but enough space to crawl around in to mount the backcans safely. The straps attached to the cans are actually for wire-suspension in exposed or drop-ceilng commercial installations. I have the mounting rings for the ceiling speakers and cans that attach to the joists, so that shouldn't be an issue.

In other news, I'm now looking into options for a hinged screen wall that opens like a door! I have a thread on that specifically here, and I'm asking for help designing it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts