AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i already have an Ultra-13 but my friend is shopping. The comparison chart with the musicality, HT, and combined rating was invaluable. Is there anywhere I can see this chart?

Thanks

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-fine416 /forum/post/16950932

Keep in mind that list is getting out of date. If I was buying today, or in the next 6 months or so, none of the subs I would be thinking about are on the list.

Is there a better choice then the PB13 today? (based on Output, ignoring size, Under $2K, ignoring DIY)

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
m-fine is correct about the list getting a little out of date, but there are many fine and still available subs on it. But there are probably hundreds more not listed.

·
Registered
457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/16951028

Is there a better choice then the PB13 today? (based on Output, ignoring size, Under $2K, ignoring DIY)

Well, I would never even think about buying a sub based on output, so I guess I am a bad person to ask. That said, if I think of the top 6 or 7 subs I would buy for various uses, the PB-13 does not make the list, and only 2 of the subs are over $2k. If the 16" SVS sealed sub I have heard rumor of becomes a reality, I would give give it a look before the PB-13.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-fine416 /forum/post/16951144

Well, I would never even think about buying a sub based on output, so I guess I am a bad person to ask. That said, if I think of the top 6 or 7 subs I would buy for various uses, the PB-13 does not make the list, and only 2 of the subs are over $2k. If the 16" SVS sealed sub I have heard rumor of becomes a reality, I would give give it a look before the PB-13.

So you would buy a sub with no output if it looked nice? Why do you assume output only means volume? Accuracy of sound reproduction is an output quality.

Amazing how someone asks for a link to a list and it turns into another SVS vs the world thread.

·
Registered
457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/16951526

So you would buy a sub with no output if it looked nice? Why do you assume output only means volume? Accuracy of sound reproduction is an output quality.

Amazing how someone asks for a link to a list and it turns into another SVS vs the world thread.

Generally when people say output they mean SPL levels, not SQ. I see that enough on these threads, I assume that is what he meant.

I would weigh output capabilities, along with looks depending on the situation I wanted to use the sub in. Other than telling me how many of a particular sub I would need to meet my output target level, it would not be a major factor. If I want a sub that can hit 100 db at 30 hz, I don't care if option A can hit 105 db and option B 125 db. They both have enough output so cost, SQ, build Q, size, looks, support, reliability etc. would be deciding factors not B is louder. If option C can only hit 95 db, I would factor in the fact that I would want a pair of them.

As for the SVS thing, yeah some people might take it that way but it certainly was not what I was intending. Penngray asked about the PB-13 specifically. I said that is not a sub I would have on MY list, but the "vs the world" in my world would include other SVS subs, so my opinion has nothing to do with the company.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:

according to people who have owned both, the Seaton Submersive

·
Registered
174 Posts

Quote:

What is the magic about $2k?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Also keep in mind that this is just one person's subjective opinion too, in his particular room, setup his particular way. Especially with music, I know people who have heard several of the subs on his list and would rate them differently.

Heck some of these people have owned subs that he rated very highly for music and have later sold them and purchased subs that scored lower on his list, and were more satisfied with the lower scoring sub. I'm not saying craigsub is right or wrong, but that everyone is likely to have slightly different taste, so you should never take a review as the holy grail.

But I think it's great to have a resource like that, just as a starting point.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Craig ran the tests but he did not score the subs himself, he had a panel of listeners. He has mentioned there are subs he might score differently himself. That is the nature of something so subjective and why you should look at the scores AND THE WRITEUP as a guideline not and absolute.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-fine416 /forum/post/16951631

Generally when people say output they mean SPL levels, not SQ. I see that enough on these threads, I assume that is what he meant.

I would weigh output capabilities, along with looks depending on the situation I wanted to use the sub in. Other than telling me how many of a particular sub I would need to meet my output target level, it would not be a major factor. If I want a sub that can hit 100 db at 30 hz, I don't care if option A can hit 105 db and option B 125 db. They both have enough output so cost, SQ, build Q, size, looks, support, reliability etc. would be deciding factors not B is louder. If option C can only hit 95 db, I would factor in the fact that I would want a pair of them.

As for the SVS thing, yeah some people might take it that way but it certainly was not what I was intending. Penngray asked about the PB-13 specifically. I said that is not a sub I would have on MY list, but the "vs the world" in my world would include other SVS subs, so my opinion has nothing to do with the company.

"If I want a sub that can hit 100 db at 30 Hz, I don't care if option A can hit 105 db and option B 125db."

Personally, I would much rather have the sub that can hit 125 db at 30 Hz. The reason, headroom. I believe that headroom has benefits beyond ultimate output.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts