AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never mind the title...it was just availiable so I took it.

Well I guess I may as well start my build thread. A little about me. I have been lurking here for a couple years reading and ruining my keyboards with saliva by drooling over all the awesome builds here. I am NOT an audio/video geek at all however my hobby is all about producing the medium for which we all love to immerse ourselves and be entertained by…the creative side of filmmaking. So I have many questions and problems to solve with my humble build mainly with the technical ins and outs required to have a nice home theater. I have read soooo much stuff here and learned tons but I still feel like I need to go to the doctor, have my brain checked and get a prescription as I am still confused about many things. Most of it (confusion) has to do with equipment.

The room is a bonus room on the second floor…no basement here in south Louisiana. It has an angled ceiling. The primary use will be watching movies…very little gaming. Two rows of seating. Not sure about the screen size but was hoping for 120 inch 1.78 screen if it will work.

I hope this build is not too confusing for you as it looks almost like tghodge’s ANGLED ROOF ATTIC THEATER build. The good thing is that he is ahead of me and I get to lurk his thread for ideas! I have already learned what I need to do to insulate the angle. I am so glad to know that.

Measurements: 17’ wide x 23’ deep.

The plus things:

1. I can do a lot of the work. Framing, sheetrock, painting and wiring. I am an electrician by trade. I have most of the framing done.

2. The wife is onboard! This also helps getting new tools even if I need them or not, I just tell her it’s for the theater construction.

3. Haven’t thought of what number three is yet.

The minus things:

1. I am geekless on audio/video technical stuff. Just a backwoods ******* with internet service.

2. My theater room has an angled ceiling. I hate it for many reasons…it looks like $^&! And I am not sure what that shape will do to the sound.

3. I have to carry all that heavy @$$ sheet rock upstairs along with all the other heavy @$$ stuff!

Ok I have a few questions to start. Please take a look at the drawings and tell me what you think I should do about speaker placement. Screen size…according to my drawings do you think my calculations are right? This includes projector placement, seating distance etc. I have a ton of questions but I don’t want to ruin my welcome!

Thanks in advance for your help. This has to be the coolest forum on the web. So much talent in one place makes this a gem.

The pics:

I will post some snaps of the actual room when I get them loaded on the comp.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would rather go with a 2.35 screen but I am afraid of going wider because of the angle on the ceiling. I would have to lower the screen and screw the viewing angle. Any thoughts on this anybody?

I have been struggling with the idea of creating the same angle on the opposite side ceiling to make it more asthetically appealing but I don't want to crush the area in the rear of the theater...especially after the riser will shorten the ceiling height. Any thoughts there?

I promise to have some pics up soon.

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And some pics as promised.

Screen Wall. The pipe in the background is for the fireplace down stairs. I am building a wall in front of it 2' away. This will also give me access to the area for maint. issues.

Opposite end wall and where rack will be located, riser etc. Note the media panel. When I first built the house I located the media panel in that location not thinking about it being in the theater room. It would be a nightmare to relocate it so it will stay there. May cover it with a panel when I do the back wall. The power panel is a temporary until I get the sub panel mounted in another location.

Left side wall and theater entrance. I am not too concered with sound isolation in the theater i.e. no double sheetrock and green glue but I will be replacing the door with a solid core.

Right side wall. This is actually a brace wall for the roof. I will be building a real walll in front of it.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A couple renders for you to take a look at. I wanted to get a feel for what the screen wall will look like so I put this together for visualization. This is a 128" 2.35 screen. In my initial post I have a 120" 16:9 screen..I would rather go with the 2.35. What do you think about the size...should I go larger or stick with that? The angle is a killer as you can see. Thnaks for any feed back on my questions. I am about 99% on framing and need to get a handle on the screen wall. Do I go with speakers behind the screen or build out the sides? Also speaker placement on the surrounds. On the angle side I am at 6'. Just need some feedback guys...a bone or two.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, your screen is BIG! Ok that is convincing enough for me. The only thing I am worried about is light reflection on the angle wall. I could go lower but then I am worried about viewing angle...especially from the rear. any thoughts there?

Nice looking theater Scott and thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I have a 13" riser and my screen sits 24" off the floor and from my rear seats I have about 4" clearance viewing from the top of my front row seats. but when everyone in the front row is reclined its more. When I'm watching 16:9 material my screen is about a 120" diagonal. With the space you have I think you could do a 10' wide screen easy and put the speakers behind the screen. You could always put fabric on the ceiling out about 4 feet

Don't know if you have scanned through the 2.35 picture thread or not

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=561280

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Scott. I just finished reading your build thread...you did some very fine work. Those surrounds are sweet all snuggled up in the columns. Not sure how I am going to deal with that part yet. I am pretty convinced to go 2.35 and I agree on 10 feet. I think it will be more like 10' 8". The speaker behing the screen is also what i want to do...it just looks cleaner.

Yes I have looked at the 2.35 thread...very nice stuff indeed!

Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well here's an update. Just a few things left to touch up. Not anything fancy but it works for what we wanted. Thanks to all of you for this site and the many folks who answered my questions. Sorry I do not have a bunch of construction pics. If you have any questions I will do my best to answer.

11.5 foot screen (horizontal) DIY Painted

PT AE3000 Projector

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Looks like a nice and inviting space. How do you like the DIY painted screen and the Panny?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Warren I love the screen and the Panny. I don't know how it could get any better but hey i am no expert...if it gets better than this, I don't want to know about it. the image looks as though it is a window into another world...so yeah it is awesome. My friends and family had to pick up their jaws when thaey saw it in action.

Thanks Wooly!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts