AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yes, I understand that. It looks like the the tops of the JC-1s would be reflective and perhaps a visual distraction. I guess it wouldn't matter unless you were going for an "image against a totally black background" look.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering  /t/1456230/the-system#post_22921572

Honestly I like them both. I think this question really boils down to how good your response in the room is without the correction. If you saw my pre and post calibration graphs for 2-channel, they are almost identical. ARC is doing very little. I tend to use the Anthem with more aggressive electronica or industrial music with lots of low bass to incorporate the subs. Any other listening is typically done in pure direct from the Oppo to the Parasound JC-2. But honestly, I could go either way here. The Anthem sounds outstanding even with the extra conversions and processing.

I have the Anthem too, and curious if I should upgrade my Oppo 83 to something bigger.

Do you ever use the multi-channel analog outputs of the Oppo with the Anthem (either in Analog Direct or DSP mode) or do only use HDMI with it?

·
Premium Member
11,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Unless you need 3D the 83 is a great piece. Even the analog section of the new Oppo 105 doesn't really improve enough on the Anthem to justify upgrading to it unless you just want some of the other features. The Anthem is an outstanding processor and preamp.

·
Premium Member
11,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Few changes since the photos were taken. I have replaced the Radiance XE-3D and Darbee Darblet with the new Radiance 2021 which essentially fuses the two products together. I have also changed out my low end system completely. I sold my Dual JL Audio F-113s and the SVS PB12 Plus/2 subwoofer and added a pair of Seaton Sound Submersive HPs for the front wall and a pair of SVS SB13-Ultras for the back of the room. This delivers far more low end extension and head room. I have also swapped out the SVS AS-EQ1 with the Audyssey Sub EQ to help a friend out that didn't have the Audyssey Pro Installer kit. These are essentially the same but the Audyssey requires the pro kit which I had but my friend didn't. I'll post some new pictures soon!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Having owned both subwoofer models (but never both models simultaneously), I know your low end performance is foundation-cracking in its potency. I've been looking at the Lumagen 2021, but I currently have a Mini3D and a Darblet, so I'll probably just hold out until Randy and Co. release a 4k passthrough-capable processor. In terms of your recent sub-eq swap, have you ever considered an Antimode Dual Core for Sub EQ duty?

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Chris, nice setup!

Bill

·
Premium Member
11,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Some new gear entered the picture. Replaced the Parasound amps with some new gear from Emotiva. So far quite happy with them. Also did some REW measurements of the new subs. Room has zero modal ringing above 40 Hz and is flat to 5 Hz!!!. Those Seatons deliver massive performance!!!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering  /t/1456230/the-system/30#post_23516249

Some new gear entered the picture. Replaced the Parasound amps with some new gear from Emotiva. So far quite happy with them. Also did some REW measurements of the new subs. Room has zero modal ringing above 40 Hz and is flat to 5 Hz!!!. Those Seatons deliver massive performance!!!

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards..."

- Jor El (Man of Steel)

·
Registered
15,352 Posts
Kris,

I'm just curious: that looks like quite a spacious, tall room. Which room did you choose for your home theater? It looks too tall to be a basement room.

·
Premium Member
11,637 Posts
Kris:

In my last two theater incarnations, I have been able to have all of my source equipment in another room with easy access to the rear of the equipment to perform the seemingly unending changes with easy open and lighted access. In the theater I will soon be building, it may not be quite that easy to have the equipment in another room.

When you need to make changes in your stuff (change wires, replace a piece of gear, etc) how difficult is it for you to do that since it appears that your equipment rack is pushed up against a wall.

Also, do you know a distributor for your Onix racks?

Thanks

Chuck

Each time I look at your theater, the gray I was considering for my theater walls/ceiling gets darker. Love your room!!

21 - 40 of 164 Posts