AVS Forum banner

1321 - 1340 of 4701 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,321
I also watched a few scenes from Fury with the BB in full effect last night, and holy schnikes batman, it was crazy! I felt every impact, every tank round, every machine gun blast, all the low end ULF of the tank engines, everything! The problem with the BB is every movie I watch now is so ridiculously epic that I keep wanting to post about them... :) Will try not to do that but it's just so hard!

Awesome!!! LOL, I remember feeling the same way about everything when BEQ got going. I felt like I was making post after post thinking every one of them was the best thing ever!! :) I think that's part of the reason I liked the Time Stamp posts idea so much that Tony came up with not too long ago. A place where we could kinda let it all out about the experiences we got from these films and the areas that bring it the most. Thing is, like I mentioned a while back to Nalleh and what you just said about it (with BEQ and all TR gear combined and the new TR additions), pretty much EVERY movie we watch now is ridiculously epic and the Time Stamps and just glowing experiences for all these movies could probably go on and on and never end LOL. But how freaking awesome it that, to have every experience be that amazing that we can't hardly help but come on here and post about them :) :) :)

Don't stop, I always love hearing about it, no matter how many times it happens!!:D

It's fun to share our excitement with others on here who share the same kind love and passion for all this stuff :)

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Ok, so I rigged up a manual stop for my recliner and it's working great! Basically, I got my seat into the reclined position where I like it, then went around back to see if I could figure out a way to stop it from moving. It turns out that the bottom of my seat in this reclined position roughly aligned with the metal base of my HT seats. So, I looked around for something to use, and I remembered I had some old yard sticks in my closet that would serve as a quick test. I snapped off a few pieces of yard stick and put a screw into each and bam, manual recline stop! I will likely replace it with something a little stronger later, but after testing, I found it to work great and serves the purpose I intended perfectly! Now I can recline until I hit the back stop and then the recliner doesn't slide further back when I'm watching movies. In fact, the added benefit is that I can apply more of my weight to the seat back and get a much better TR sensation now, as before I had to kind of control how much weight I used to lay back with to keep the seat from further reclining from my preferred position! I was able to turn the BB down a notch and still get a crazy amount of TR, but now with a bit less SPL since I was able to turn it down, so this is a win win!
What if a thinner piece than a 3/4 plywood is used and may be a smaller size rather than covering the entire back of the chair? Think that will degrade performance?

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
What if a thinner piece than a 3/4 plywood is used and may be a smaller size rather than covering the entire back of the chair? Think that will degrade performance?
No, it should not be an issue. I went with the 3/4 plywood so I could mount the BK's to my chair, so I was able to just connect the back stop directly to it, but whatever you have available should be fine.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
No, it should not be an issue. I went with the 3/4 plywood so I could mount the BK's to my chair, so I was able to just connect the back stop directly to it, but whatever you have available should be fine.
Cool, yeah, It may help with the weight issue is what I am thinking if the wood was thinner....

Reactions: m0j0

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,325 (Edited)
I'm sure most of you guys are running Aron's amp rolloff LS lift of LS 10Hz Q0.5 4.4dB right?

Well, I just added it to the other settings I'm using that I just listed a few posts back for all TR gear. I added it to the BB and HB and I really liked it. It brought more violence in the feel as well as more single digits. Who doesn't want that right!!?? HAHAHA :D

Not sure why I haven't been running this all this time, but this is one great thing that has already came out of listing out all our settings, really making me think what all I'm applying. I ran out of time to apply and test it on the MAs and BKs as well, but I'm sure it'll work great on them too.

I'll go edit my post to included Aron's LS amp roll off fix "on the HB and BB" for now until I can try it on the other TR gear.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Had a thought on a way to stop decline manually. I was thinking of some sort of swinging anchor type approach. Maybe an upside down T piece of wood that is attached to a pivot point underneath the seat that you could attach a pulley system to and pull it up to one side when not in use, then pull from the other side to "drop" anchor so that the upside down T is down and in front of the metal framing of seat frame, which would keep you from declining until disengaged. It's kinda wonky but just a thought.
Good thinking m0j0. My teenagers would probably have it splintered in no time :)

Funny story....I had to re-build the inside bracing of our theater recliner after a 6-6" basketball player (plays for Tulsa now) tried his hardest to make the recliner recline without using the release button on the side :eek:

For what it's worth....wanted to share my experiences with reclining and BB. Ever since discovering the power of reclining last November, I now sit fully reclined all the time. I used to like it partially reclined also. Then realized it was only because my head angle to the screen was optimum when partially reclined.

After discovering once I propped my head up with a small pillow (one of those traveler pillows), fully reclined was just as comfortable.

Just wanted to mention that if you want even more chest slam goodness when fully reclined....maybe it won't work for your setup due to sight lines in your theater, but wanted to mention the pillow trick if you haven't tried that yet.

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I'm sure most of you guys are running Aron's amp rolloff LS lift of LS 10Hz Q0.5 4.4dB right?

Well, I just added it to the other settings I'm using that I just listed a few posts back for all TR gear. I added it to the BB and HB and I really liked it. It brought more violence in the feel as well as more single digits. Who doesn't want that right!!?? HAHAHA :D

Not sure why I haven't been running this all this time, but this is one great thing that has already came out of listing out all our settings, really making me think what all I'm applying. I ran out of time to apply and test it on the MAs and BKs as well, but I'm sure it'll work great on them too.

I'll go edit my post to included Aron's LS amp roll off fix "on the HB and BB" for now until I can try it on the other TR gear.
Or, add another 10-15dB below 10hz using BEQd if you want even more violence down there. ;) You'll notice 95% of the published BEQ's don't have any LS's below 10Hz. Almost all mine have a final LS filter applied to the mix that's at least 10dB (most are 15-20dB) to keep the response on par with the 20-30Hz content.....talk about violence.

Just finished remuxing the Aliens collection over the weekend and watched Alien: Covenant. In that movie, there's an eerie 6Hz vibe during most of the movie that amps the atmosphere so much. We were on pins and needles most of the movie just because the 6Hz content. I didn't say anything to the guests but I could tell they were enthralled with the experience. I tried the published BEQ as my baseline when remuxing and the experience wasn't the same.

The smiley face curve I've been preaching that y'll are probably tired of.....boost below 10Hz and boost over 40Hz using BEQd to make your BOSS's come alive.

The published BEQ's are good for the general population, but us crazies deserve more.....just sayin ;)

Maybe I should start a remux thread with a how-to video on optimizing movie mixes for BOSS :) It's really not as hard as one might think.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Maybe I should start a remux thread with a how-to video on optimizing movie mixes for BOSS :) It's really not as hard as one might think.

Now you’re talkin! I officially make that request Tim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Or, add another 10-15dB below 10hz using BEQd if you want even more violence down there. ;) You'll notice 95% of the published BEQ's don't have any LS's below 10Hz. Almost all mine have a final LS filter applied to the mix that's at least 10dB (most are 15-20dB) to keep the response on par with the 20-30Hz content.....talk about violence.

Just finished remuxing the Aliens collection over the weekend and watched Alien: Covenant. In that movie, there's an eerie 6Hz vibe during most of the movie that amps the atmosphere so much. We were on pins and needles most of the movie just because the 6Hz content. I didn't say anything to the guests but I could tell they were enthralled with the experience. I tried the published BEQ as my baseline when remuxing and the experience wasn't the same.

The smiley face curve I've been preaching that y'll are probably tired of.....boost below 10Hz and boost over 40Hz using BEQd to make your BOSS's come alive.

The published BEQ's are good for the general population, but us crazies deserve more.....just sayin ;)

I was actually thinking of recommending you put together a how to on this topic! Great thinking!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,330

More than one way to skin a cat :). I was already adding quite a lot below 10-15hz in the mini before the addition of Aron's amp rolloff.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,331

Just added it to my BKs and Ma's too :D. Dayum ya'll :eek: I tested adding it to all TR devices. Anyone care to guess which one felt the most violent and made the most differnce on full band scenes? :)

.....BK LFE's :D. I'm reminded once again just how friggin' brutal and awesome feeling these things are!!! Which reminds me, I still need to try one attached to my BossBack in addition to the driver.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement guys.....I'll have to get this done before swim season arrives :)

Anyone have any experience making a video from a PC screen. I see them all the time on YouTube and they look great.

I use WebEx frequently and saw there's a record button in that app.....maybe I'll give that a try and see how it works :)

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,334
^^^ Should we start calling you 'Tim the Relentless?' :)

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Good thinking m0j0. My teenagers would probably have it splintered in no time :)

Funny story....I had to re-build the inside bracing of our theater recliner after a 6-6" basketball player (plays for Tulsa now) tried his hardest to make the recliner recline without using the release button on the side :eek:

For what it's worth....wanted to share my experiences with reclining and BB. Ever since discovering the power of reclining last November, I now sit fully reclined all the time. I used to like it partially reclined also. Then realized it was only because my head angle to the screen was optimum when partially reclined.

After discovering once I propped my head up with a small pillow (one of those traveler pillows), fully reclined was just as comfortable.

Just wanted to mention that if you want even more chest slam goodness when fully reclined....maybe it won't work for your setup due to sight lines in your theater, but wanted to mention the pillow trick if you haven't tried that yet.

Have fun!
I tried reclined with a pillow but it never felt right to me. With the manual stop in place now, I feel like I get a similar benefit to full recline from a TR perspective but still in my preferred position and angle for enjoying movies in my small HT. I am actually surprised it made such a big difference in the amount and quality of TR I experience with this one small change. I can definitely see your point with full recline though.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
^^^ Should we start calling you 'Tim the Relentless?' :)
Kinda catchy :) JK....message received. I'll tone it down a bit. :)

Just sharing my passion about signal shaping with capable TR devices. What other device or software allows you to analyze a sound track before making any DSP adjustments. Then, after shining a light on the soundtrack, BEQd provides a full suite of powerful tools to dissect and shape it to feel exactly how you like it for your equipment and for the mood of the movie. That's a powerful tool compliments of Matt ;)

No one has to do it....just another option to get the most out of our equipment. ;)

Just a thought.....if you're adding additional BEQ filters today, maybe that could be part of your published TR reviews for each movie also...just an idea :)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I tried reclined with a pillow but it never felt right to me. With the manual stop in place now, I feel like I get a similar benefit to full recline from a TR perspective but still in my preferred position and angle for enjoying movies in my small HT. I am actually surprised it made such a big difference in the amount and quality of TR I experience with this one small change. I can definitely see your point with full recline though.
Thanks m0j0. I'm going to try your manual stop method. It's definitely worth exploring since I went from sitting totally upright to fully reclined once BB was installed with no in-between.

Maybe in-between will be even better :)

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,338
Kinda catchy :) JK....message received. I'll tone it down a bit. :)

Just sharing my passion about signal shaping with capable TR devices. What other device or software allows you to analyze a sound track before making any DSP adjustments. Then, after shining a light on the soundtrack, BEQd provides a full suite of powerful tools to dissect and shape it to feel exactly how you like it for your equipment and for the mood of the movie. That's a powerful tool compliments of Matt ;)

No one has to do it....just another option to get the most out of our equipment. ;)

Just a thought.....if you're adding additional BEQ filters today, maybe that could be part of your published TR reviews for each movie also...just an idea :)
Yes, we are all very passionate about all this stuff we love so much. It's a good thing, as is why we are all where we are at right now with our systems and is what drives us.

For now, the mini is pretty magical and such a powerful tool, especially when running multiple devices (subs and TR gear). It allows one to shape each TR device (or subs) pretty much wherever in the frequency range you want or need. That alone makes it gold in my book and a must. Yes it's limited to 10hz, but those LS's or NHS's carry a long way.

But yes, I agree, BEQd is a KILLER app ...Matt's a genius and we are all SO lucky to have him here!!!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Yes, we are all very passionate about all this stuff we love so much. It's a good thing, as is why we are all where we are at right now with our systems and is what drives us.

For now, the mini is pretty magical and such a powerful tool, especially when running multiple devices (subs and TR gear). It allows one to shape each TR device (or subs) pretty much wherever in the frequency range you want or need. That alone makes it gold in my book and a must. Yes it's limited to 10hz, but those LS's or NHS's carry a long way.

But yes, I agree, BEQd is a KILLER app ...Matt's a genius and we are all SO lucky to have him here!!!
I just posted some of the disadvantages of using the mini compared to using BEQd in the BOSS thread if anyone is interested. Warning...this is a 400 level discussion on signal shaping, phase errors and time delay errors and how to avoid some of those using BEQd. But, wanted to share if any folks on this thread are interested. :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
BK Advanced and Crowson

Recently went on a TR journey and wanted to give my thoughts.

Like many here I was cursed to a concrete (6.5k ft^3) basement. I upgraded over the past couple of years from the pb1000 -> 2x PB16s in search of TR but never got there.

The PB16s have monster output in my room topping out at around ~118dB at 20hz and ~128dB at 40hz...yet I kid you not the old 8 inch Bose "Acoustimass" module in my den where the rest of my family members watch TV gives more TR than the PB16s since that room is on a suspended wooden floor. The disconnect from what I was experiencing acoustically versus what I was feeling really took me out of some movies. I watch most if not all my movies at -10 MV and even with that kind of output the PB16s can't even give me a tingle in my seat. I can hear my walls and doors shaking and I've broken quite a few glasses at my bar, yet I wasn't experiencing any of that TR.

I purchased 2 Aura Pros since they were a cheap first venture into TR and they worked well. They enhanced every movie I watched and certainly helped make movies more immersive. They could not keep up with the output of the PB16s though and delivered more of a one note "buzz/vibration" instead of the visceral shake I was after.

I read reviews for the buttkicker mini-LFE and many people likened them to the Auras, with very little use below ~30Hz, so I skipped directly to the Buttkicker advanced model and purchased the Dayton SA1000 to go with it. I also bought the couch mount kit for the BK-advanced as initially this was the way I wanted to mount it. I decided to go with the advanced model since it was smaller and would make mounting easier under my seat if the couch kit didn't work out. It was also much lighter on power requirements than the LFE, allowing me to save space and run more of them on one amp if I liked them.
I then made an order for the Crowsons as well so that I could compare them both directly with the intent of keeping the better performer. Before purchasing I read @Sekosche review of the advanced models and Crowsons and expected this to be a wash in favor of the Crowsons but decided to try it anyway (in case I could get away with a cheaper option for my needs). I'd also seen @SBuger 's rave reviews of the LFE and wanted to try Buttkicker.

I have a row of three, my chairs are powered recliners (the one's without arm rests on one side) with a mostly metal frame and they are super cushioned-apparently a very bad combination for Crowsons.

First, I set up the BK advanced on the couch mount kit (and isolators) and gave it a shot. The result was...underwhelming. It certainly had more output than the Auras and delivered more of a "shake" but the shake still wasn't visceral. The bottoming on intense scenes was also very distracting. I figured the Crowsons would do better since they work on a different mechanical principle than the Buttkickers. So I went ahead and installed the isos I got with the Crowsons and put them under the rear feet of my chair (as recommended by @keeper and Randolph).

If I'm honest the performance from the Crowsons was also a bit underwhelming at first (especially for the price). I played the RP1 bomb scene and Aquaman vs Karathen and was very unimpressed. The shaking in those scenes was like the Aura pros, where it just felt like a buzz/vibration in my seat. Certainly, an improvement from nothing! But not much movement in the z-plane. In addition to that the Crowsons overheated and shut off during the Aquaman scene. Something the BK never really got close to doing no matter how hard I pushed it. It wasn't until I started testing the lower frequency scenes that I realized what these things were really made for. This was the first time I was able to feel the F****** Irene scene properly and it was FANTASTIC! The EOT intro, Pulse Server Room Scene, Mad Max Fury Road sandstorm chase sequence, Dunkirk etc... were all great. Below ~20Hz the Crowsons began giving some real visceral seat movement. Exactly what I expected! This was more of a genuine shake and less of just a vibration.

The 20~40Hz shake was still amiss, so I contacted Randolph (who still hasn't responded) and the guys over at Guitammer for suggestions. The guys at Guitammer told me not to use the couch leg kit and to instead mount directly to the frame of the seat if I could. Since I couldn't mount directly, I went ahead and got 3/4" plywood board and screw gunned it to the back of my seat where there is a small piece of wood attached to the seat frame, similar to another setup I've seen on here. I mounted the BK-Advanced to the plywood and... holy ****. Talk about shake! The effect from that mount is insane relative to the couch mount kit. The couch mount kit IMO is a non-starter! Mounted to the wood frame of my seat the BK-A gives me the visceral "shake" I was looking for and not just some vibrations in the 20-40Hz range like the auras or Crowsons. Unlike the Crowsons though, below ~17Hz the BK-As' lose a bit of power and the shake resolves into more of a buzz/vibration by 10Hz (maybe the LFE is better in that regard). Running it hot down there also produces some real aggressive bottoming out artifacts. This isn't really an issue since below 20Hz is where the Crowsons are strong. I ran a few movie scenes with the Advanced and Crowsons together and it was damn near perfect! I'm very happy with the combo.

I've since purchased another advanced and attached it to the board. This way I can have the Buttkickers in series (receiving 250W each) and the MA in parallel (getting the full 500W) with the BKs. This not only added more shake to my seat but greatly reduced (if not eliminated) the heavy bottoming I used to hear with the single advanced model.

As for comparisons between the BK and Crowsons I think absolutely everything said by ahmedreda here: https://www.avforums.com/threads/buttkicker-lfe-vs-quake-q10b-vs-crowson.1913835/ is true.

I made a couple of additional discoveries while I was experimenting. Like @keeper mentioned on the Crowson thread, I found running two MAs on my seat worse than one. Shakes were a lot less articulate and the side with the arm rest would shake much more aggressively (and make horrible noises while doing so). Seemed like they may have been interfering with each other a bit. The shake with two installed under the rear feet wasn't much greater than with one installed. My final placement for the MA (I tried a bunch...along with ISO positions) is on the left side of my chair (away from the armrest) and I also moved the rear foot a little forward towards the center of the chair. This provided the best shake uniformity.

I also tried the MAs with an old wooden chair my grandparents used to use (still has the plastic on it to "protect" it from kids haha), since I was curious if the Crowson deficiencies higher up were related to the metal construction of my recliners. In my experience it wasn't. The F**** Irene scene shook that chair even harder but the RP1 bomb scene was just as unimpressive as before.

In my case I have a little area rug over my concrete, and I didn't notice any difference in performance with the MAs/Isos on the rug (which is fairly thin) versus the hard floor.
I'm currently undecided as to whether I'll keep the second MA for another chair or just return it. Just wanted to echo a couple of things that have been mentioned here a couple times regarding the BK vs Crowsons. The BKs do a lot more of what I wanted than the Crowsons (and if I had to pick one I’d go BK), but I think they complement each other very well!

Attachments

1321 - 1340 of 4701 Posts