AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit about me -- for most of my life I've been a consummate early adopter. I bought a 65" Mitsubishi HDTV (hence my username) and had an awesome Paradigm/Onkyo set-up back in 2001. We later moved to a house that didn't accommodate that sort of setup (though I did buy a Pioneer Elite plasma back in 2004), and finally built a house back in 2015 that would ultimately have a great basement space to set up a family-friendly home theater (i.e., a huge sectional, not theater seating).

Money was tight, though, so all I could do was to get:confused: the speakers set up (a PSB in-wall fronts/in-ceiling sides and rears) and buy the cheapest decent receiver (Onkyo NR626) and TV I could get until I could save up to do what I really wanted.

This week, the time finally came to replace the Vizio with a 77" LG OLED, but when I tried to revel in the glory of my 4k/HDR, I got the HDCP error message and saw nothing over 1080p. Having researched a little bit, I realize that my receiver doesn't have the necessary HDCP 2.2 capabilities, so I'm stuck until I replace the receiver with something more capable.

I have two questions I guess.

1) With my current speaker configuration (F/L/C in-wall around the OLED and sides+surrounds in-ceiling), should I be going with a Dolby Atmos setup rather than a traditional 7.1, which was what I originally was aiming for when I built the house. The sides are in the ceiling right at ear-distance from the TV and the surrounds are 6 feet further behind the listening area?

2) What receiver should I choose in this situation -- 90% home theater listening and relying on the receiver to switch and send signal on a single HDMI cable for my Tivo, DVD, Apple TV. I use a Harmony remote, so hopefully something that plays nice with that.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Get something like a Denon AVR-X3600H. You can then test to run your setup either as 7.1 or 3.1.4. If you ever decide to get some floor level side surrounds then you can do 5.1.4 or even 7.1.4 (with an external 2ch amp).

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
^^This. Or look at the new 2020 Denons, like the X3700h. It has one HDMI 2.1 output in case you want/need that for future proofing (such as VRR-120Hz for PS5/Xbox coming out end of this year). Should be able to find deals on the x3600 now or in the near future, but stock will be going fast.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get something like a Denon AVR-X3600H. You can then test to run your setup either as 7.1 or 3.1.4. If you ever decide to get some floor level side surrounds then you can do 5.1.4 or even 7.1.4 (with an external 2ch amp).

So this is a stupid question, but I would have thought that a 5.2.1 setup was the only one possible with my current speaker set up.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If by "5.2.1" you mean 5 ear-level, 2 height, 1 sub (which should be labeled "5.1.2"), that's probably the best one to try with your current speaker placement. You could try 3.1.4 as previously mentioned I guess, although why you'd want to lose rear surrounds for the less-often-engaged height speakers I can't say.

Unfortunately if you're eventually going for a proper Atmos setup, your in-ceiling speaker placements are wrong. You need both sets further forward with the front height speakers slightly forward of your seating position and the rear ones slightly behind. If moving the seating is an option you could play around with things, assuming also that there's enough room from the back of the seating to the back wall to add ear-level rear speakers.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
So this is a stupid question, but I would have thought that a 5.2.1 setup was the only one possible with my current speaker set up.
No you can have three fronts and four heights if you so wish. Now if that is better than just a basic 7.1 with your setup I don't know. Personally I wouldn't place surrounds in the ceiling as modern mixes are designed to have them at ear level.

BTW the middle number 5.1.2 is the subwoofer.

·
Registered
615 Posts
First off there are other receivers than Denon to choose from.

And I agree with Mentat that ceiling speaker placement for surrounds is not ideal, but I would use them as surrounds instead of Atmos which as Mentat said, there is limited info that is "steered" to those speakers.

You could try to use the sides as Atmos speakers and see how you like that. Even though there are "rules" what sounds best to you is what matters most. But make sure you try them in both configurations.
Also make sure when you switch them between Atmos and Surround duty that you re-calibrate distance and level each time.
And take real measurements against the room correction in the receiver you get.

·
Registered
797 Posts
This made me laugh and chuckle

These days the exact minute you buy any piece of technology you’re already bitten and it doesn’t take long before the poison stats to take effect.... some times as short as a couple months or weeks

With that said my advice would definitely be to look at something like 3600 (or it’s sister equivalent in the Marantz) that can handle at least a 7.1.4 setup even if you don’t think you’ll need it at the moment

Reason being there’s nothing worse than buying and then wondering (I wonder how that other setup will sound) and then before you know it you’re look to sell & “upgrade” in a few months time and wasting $$ rather than had you just bought something originally

·
Registered
28,457 Posts
Which 77" OLED did you buy? The CX and C9 have HDMI 2.1 but earlier models that end in 8, 7 or anything before that don't have HDMI 2.1

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

And I agree with Mentat that ceiling speaker placement for surrounds is not ideal, but I would use them as surrounds instead of Atmos which as Mentat said, there is limited info that is "steered" to those speakers.

You could try to use the sides as Atmos speakers and see how you like that. Even though there are "rules" what sounds best to you is what matters most. But make sure you try them in both configurations.
Also make sure when you switch them between Atmos and Surround duty that you re-calibrate distance and level each time.
Here is a picture of the placement of the ceiling speakers in comparison to our seating. Not optimal, I'm guessing, but we did this in the era of 7.1 being the absolute best arrangement.

Attachments

·
Registered
797 Posts

Here is a picture of the placement of the ceiling speakers in comparison to our seating. Not optimal, I'm guessing, but we did this in the era of 7.1 being the absolute best arrangement.
Yea man

It will be hard to use those as surrounds in conjunction with atmos height speakers because there wouldn’t be any layer of separation between bottom layer speaker and height layer speakers at that point

Maybe use those ceiling speakers as atmos height and see if you can have ground level surrounds or on wall surrounds closer to ground level?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea man

It will be hard to use those as surrounds in conjunction with atmos height speakers because there wouldn’t be any layer of separation between bottom layer speaker and height layer speakers at that point

Maybe use those ceiling speakers as atmos height and see if you can have ground level surrounds or on wall surrounds closer to ground level?
Unfortunately, there is a massive window on one wall, preventing the ground-level surrounds from being a reality.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^This. Or look at the new 2020 Denons, like the X3700h. It has one HDMI 2.1 output in case you want/need that for future proofing (such as VRR-120Hz for PS5/Xbox coming out end of this year). Should be able to find deals on the x3600 now or in the near future, but stock will be going fast.
Why not the 2700H if I know that I'm going to ever have more than 7 speakers?

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Why not the 2700H if I know that I'm going to ever have more than 7 speakers?
Yup, that would work too and save cash.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Looks like there's enough room on the back wall for 2 rear surrounds. If you added those you could try:

- 5.1.2: 3 front, 2 rear, 2 height (use the in-ceiling side surrounds)
- 5.1.4: 4 height (use all in-ceiling speakers, although they'd all be located a bit too far back for a proper .4 configuration)

Or buck up, rip up the ceiling and reposition the in-ceiling speakers for the perfect placement :D

Reactions: Maximum7
1 - 19 of 19 Posts